8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 AM

Question Am I crazy?

After 4 attempts at the dealer, my 2016 still has a slight vibration at around 70 MPH. The dealer even changed all 4 wheels/tires and I can still feel the issue. My last time I was there, I drove another 2016 and I felt the same vibration, but it was actually a bit worse than mine.

Am I crazy? Do these cars have a slight vibration at highway speeds 70MPH+ ? Likely you wouldn't notice if the road wasn't very smooth. I notice because the highway I travel to work was just repaved.

The Service Manager has me almost convinced that these cars are not completely smooth.

Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 AM

I drive mine daily at 70+ On occasion I drive it on a toll road around Austin where the speed limit is 85, and I drive the speed limit. I may or may not have driven it once to 135.

It is always smooth as silk.

Where do you feel the vibration? Steering wheel, pedals, seat?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 AM

Mine is definitely NOT smooth as silk!

I feel the vibration in the steering wheel and seat, don't feel it in the pedals. As I go up to 85MPH or so, the vibration gets less noticeable but it is at a higher frequency, if that makes sense.

The service manager that road with me could feel it in the passenger seat as well. It isn't severe enough to vibrate coins in the cup holder, but it is noticeable.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM

my car is the smoothest at speed i have ever had. u may have gone up to 100, no vibration at all. at 70-80 the only thing i feel is road imperfections.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by acamarillo
my car is the smoothest at speed i have ever had. u may have gone up to 100, no vibration at all. at 70-80 the only thing i feel is road imperfections.
Smooth as silk at all speeds for mine with 17K miles on it

Last edited by robtroxel; 02-15-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Yep.. no issues on mine either.. feels like riding on air... She just glides...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 AM

I have not notice those vibration at all. Did you try different routes to drive on? I think this might be coming off bad road surface.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Derick Kurtz
After 4 attempts at the dealer, my 2016 still has a slight vibration at around 70 MPH. The dealer even changed all 4 wheels/tires and I can still feel the issue. My last time I was there, I drove another 2016 and I felt the same vibration, but it was actually a bit worse than mine.

Am I crazy? Do these cars have a slight vibration at highway speeds 70MPH+ ? Likely you wouldn't notice if the road wasn't very smooth. I notice because the highway I travel to work was just repaved.

The Service Manager has me almost convinced that these cars are not completely smooth.

Thoughts?

No you're not crazy, mine does the same when accelerating and decelerating around the same speed. I know i need new tires, so hopefully that solves the issue when I buy a new set.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 7th gen did that from day 1 and I learned to live with it. Nio matter what tires I put on and balancing every so often, never got better. My 2016 does it slightly but the car is so awesome I don't even really notice it much. Plus, the roads in fairfield county CT are so ****ing abysmal, I attribute any slight vibration to the crappy roads.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by xydehead
I have not notice those vibration at all. Did you try different routes to drive on? I think this might be coming off bad road surface.
I think I notice it more because the roads were just repaved so they are super smooth. I may go get a second opinion at another local Nissan dealer.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by acamarillo
I have been driving longer than most here (hint; my first driving was moving semi trailers between loading docks at my uncle's trucking company around 1945), and this '16 platinum is the FIRST car I have ever driven where I felt absolutely zero vibration at any speed. Even smoother than my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th gen Maximas. Based on my past experiences, I would not have thought that to be possible. I am not going to let anyone touch my tires for rotation or balancing or anything other than cleaning. I will need to make this clear at my dealership, as they tend to do lots of things free every time I visit.

This is also the first car I have driven in which there was absolutely zero vibration of any kind when I brake. I now try to employ engine braking and use the brakes as little as possible so I can enjoy this silky smooth braking as long as I can make it last.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
I drive mine daily at 70+ On occasion I drive it on a toll road around Austin where the speed limit is 85, and I drive the speed limit. I may or may not have driven it once to 135.

It is always smooth as silk.

Where do you feel the vibration? Steering wheel, pedals, seat?
ditto...stay away from the dealer!!
Old 03-06-2017, 08:33 PM

My 7th gen used to have the passenger seat shake a ton when I drove but the ride was okay otherwise. I never really thought much of it
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Check the tire´s treads in a tire shop.....
Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

What trim model? I would image the SR would be rougher than a Platinum. Also, do you drive over gravel? Maybe check to see if there is anything stuck in the treads.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
What trim model? I would image the SR would be rougher than a Platinum. Also, do you drive over gravel? Maybe check to see if there is anything stuck in the treads.
Platinum. And I don't drive on gravel or have any stuck in tire tread.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM

I keep trying to think of what could be causing your slight vibration, and I can't think of anything other than wheels and tires in some fashion. You said that the dealer had replaced your wheels and tires, and that is a very good first step. But the replacements may well either have not been balanced exactly correctly, or there may have been an 'out-of-round' or other condition with one of the tires or a very slightly warped wheel, one of which I feel may have been wrong with your first set.

I realize you should not have to put more of your money this soon into a car you have already bought, but I would be tempted to find out which tire shop in your area has the best rep for good work, and let them check everything very closely. There has to be a reason for your vibration, and if you are like me, you really want to find the cause. Once they find the cause, after everything you have gone through, there should be no difficulty getting Nissan to foot the bill to have this fixed.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Turns out my Nissan dealers service manager that I was sure was incompetent was fired. They have a new service manager so maybe I would have better luck.

I was just on about 90 minute highway drive and the vibration was constant. Not horrible but not smooth like it is at 50 mph.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:16 AM

Update #1

UPDATE: I took my car to my friend who is a service manager at a local Kia dealer. They did a road force balance and found 3 out of 4 tires with excessive road force (26, 28, and 28lbs). They recommend replacing 3 out of 4 tires. I can't believe my car has spent about 10 total days at the Nissan dealer (4 different visits) and they didn't find this. The stupid Nissan dealer even said they did a road force balance but would never tell me the results of the test.

Now I must battle Nissan to get this resolved.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 AM

Have you tried another Nissan dealership?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Have you tried another Nissan dealership?
I am going to another dealer tomorrow. I also have Nissan Corporate involved. We will see where this goes.....
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Derick,

Any update on this ... still having this issue?

thanks