8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

LED low beams for 2017 SL

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 AM

LED low beams for 2017 SL

Newbie here! I've read through (most) of the posts around this topic, and still have a couple of questions.
1. Does anyone know the specs on the OEM LEDs that are on the Platinum trim (temp?, lumens?, wattage, etc.)?
2. Does anyone know the color temp of the DRL?

Has anyone considered these? https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h...light-kit.html
I believe they only come in one color temp (6000). I haven't seen anyone comment on these, and was hoping to get some feedback on how they look. They also require a warning canceller. I've read elsewhere other kits don't require one.
Thanks.....!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 AM

HID are brighter then LED. My SR LED is weak I wish I could go HID.

HID
http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm
Old 02-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by xydehead

HID

Thanks xydehead. Do you happen to know the specs for the SR LED?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by calabs
Newbie here! I've read through (most) of the posts around this topic, and still have a couple of questions.
1. Does anyone know the specs on the OEM LEDs that are on the Platinum trim (temp?, lumens?, wattage, etc.)?

Has anyone considered these? https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h...light-kit.html
I believe they only come in one color temp (6000). I haven't seen anyone comment on these, and was hoping to get some feedback on how they look. They also require a warning canceller. I've read elsewhere other kits don't require one.
Thanks.....!

Also been looking at the Morimoto 2Stroke and the new Opt7 FluxBeam X, which is supposed to be a better design compared to the str8 Opt7 FluxBeam. Any comments on these? Also looking to replace the fogs with LEDs, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM

I had the OPT7 FluxBeams and ran them for about 2 weeks. OK but didn't like the down-road throw. Installed the Morimoto 2 Strokes. Much better! Not sure about the newer FluxBeam X.

Just FYI the Fluxbeams were rated at 3500LM per light. The 2 Strokes are rated at 5000LM per bulb so obviously brighter and definitely more down-road throw.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jjohn1777
I had the OPT7 FluxBeams and ran them for about 2 weeks. OK but didn't like the down-road throw. Installed the Morimoto 2 Strokes. Much better! Not sure about the newer FluxBeam X.

Just FYI the Fluxbeams were rated at 3500LM per light. The 2 Strokes are rated at 5000LM per bulb so obviously brighter and definitely more down-road throw.

Thanks jjohn. This is very helpful - Yeah, I have heard that the original Opt7's had a poor down-road throw. The new X design claims to be 20% brighter compared to the original as a result of better cooling. Still wouldn't bring it up to 5000LM as in the 2Stroke, however, and not sure how that translates to down-road throw. I have also read that the Opt7 fans are awfully loud, and that the orientation of the bulb needs to be adjusted just right, so the LEDs throw left and right, and not up/down, by using the adjustable screws in the housing.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jjohn1777

Hey jjohn1777,

I was considering doing the Morimoto 2 Strokes as well for my car. Did the install of the leds fit without any issues in the headlight housing or did you have to drill a hole and use the end cap extensions they come with?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am happy with my 2stroke, compared to the halogens it is brighter. My wife gave me HIDs though, so I might be selling my morimoto soon. Not even an hour of usage, do it you wont regret it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM

I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2strokes. They should arrive today. I'll take some photos once they are installed.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by cma139
Hey jjohn1777,

I was considering doing the Morimoto 2 Strokes as well for my car. Did the install of the leds fit without any issues in the headlight housing or did you have to drill a hole and use the end cap extensions they come with?

Thanks!
The 2 Stokes fit fine. No need for end caps or drilling holes. You will need to use the reverse polarity adapter that comes with the kit. I just plugs in line between the ballast and the power supply from the car.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 AM

calabs, please send as many pics as possible, along with the exact cables used (ie. any anti-flicker things needed). Very interested to see how this turns out and your review.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 180kMaxima
calabs, please send as many pics as possible, along with the exact cables used (ie. any anti-flicker things needed). Very interested to see how this turns out and your review.

180kMaxima - Will do. I will be replacing the fog lights as well, so I'm hoping to do it all at the same time while the wheel well cover is removed.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have vanquishauto hids installed in my car and they are very bright as well. I belive all hids are bright when they are same power, but just quality is wht makes different.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Bump. Ever get a chance to install these?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Calabs;

I ordered those xenon leds on Monday. Should get them by weekend and report back.

Ian B
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Got Retrofit?

Also been looking at the Morimoto 2Stroke and the new Opt7 FluxBeam X, which is supposed to be a better design compared to the str8 Opt7 FluxBeam. Any comments on these?
Either LED option mentioned is a step down from HID (2Stroke being the better option of the two).

HID > LED.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Just installed them this morning. Took an hour to do both sides removing tires and pulling back plastic lining on wheel well. Overall easy plug and play w no issues. Will post pics tonight when I get off work in the dark.

Ian B
Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Here are shots of the xenon leds installed and at night.

Ian B
Attached Thumbnails LED low beams for 2017 SL-leds-1.jpg   LED low beams for 2017 SL-leds-2.jpg   LED low beams for 2017 SL-leds-3.jpg   LED low beams for 2017 SL-leds-4.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 02:59 AM

Could you clarify what brand you installed Ian?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 AM

Nice!

Originally Posted by Ian B
Here are shots of the xenon leds installed and at night.

Ian B
They look nice Ian. Thanks for the pics. Slight blue tint but expected for 6000K. What fogs are you using?
I'm finally gonna have time next weekend to install the 2strokes and fogs. I too will post some pics when the project is complete.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 AM

Could you clarify what brand you installed Ian?
I got the ones from the original thread poster above in his link.

Ian B
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 AM

What's your initial verdict?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:56 PM

What's your initial verdict?

Worth buy 100% w no remorse. My friend liked them too and ordered for this altima yesterday after helping me w installation. Now I want to drive at night more that ever. lol

Ian B
Old 05-14-2017, 01:57 PM

They look nice Ian. Thanks for the pics. Slight blue tint but expected for 6000K. What fogs are you using?
I'm finally gonna have time next weekend to install the 2strokes and fogs. I too will post some pics when the project is complete.
Blue tint you see could be because the car is blue too.

Ian B
Old 05-14-2017, 01:57 PM

Link below to fog lights from Amazon.

Amazon Amazon

Ian B
Old 05-14-2017, 07:18 PM

^^ didn't work for me.
accumulated too much water in 6 months use.
i thought it would go away, but it got worst (way more on passenger side).

possible reasons:
too much moisture/wet weather during use
had a leak on the bulbs used (had rust build-up on the base of leds)

but it seems everyone else has no issue with these bulbs.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
^^ didn't work for me.
accumulated too much water in 6 months use.
i thought it would go away, but it got worst (way more on passenger side).

possible reasons:
too much moisture/wet weather during use
had a leak on the bulbs used (had rust build-up on the base of leds)

but it seems everyone else has no issue with these bulbs.
Some people who had your issue removed the original fog light rubber seals and put them in the new led fog light to solve the water/condensation issue.

Ian B
Old 05-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Finally installed the 2strokes!

I finally pulled the trigger and got the 2strokes. They should arrive today. I'll take some photos once they are installed.
Well, 2 months after I purchased the 2strokes, I finally found the time to put them in. Pretty straightforward going through the wheel well. I zip tied the drivers to the chassis so they wouldn't rattle around. I will say it wasn't easy plugging in the input adaptor into the plug coming from the car. The connection really has to go deep before the light will work. I've taken some before and after daytime photos. I'll post them once I take some at night. I replaced the fogs as well while I had everything open. More on those in another post I started.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Well, 2 months after I purchased the 2strokes, I finally found the time to put them in. Pretty straightforward going through the wheel well. I zip tied the drivers to the chassis so they wouldn't rattle around. I will say it wasn't easy plugging in the input adaptor into the plug coming from the car. The connection really has to go deep before the light will work. I've taken some before and after daytime photos. I'll post them once I take some at night. I replaced the fogs as well while I had everything open. More on those in another post I started.
So, you like??
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 AM

So, you like??

Consequently enough, I haven't had a chance to drive at night.

Still waiting for that to happen, then I'll take some pics at night, and post results and opinions.

Stay tuned!!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 AM

I found this video that compares a lot of LED headlight kits. It gives some info on several different types of bulb designs. FWIW, the video is produced by a company that sells LED bulbs, but the info it offers is still useful.

EDIT: Sorry, first link was wrong video...here's the correct link (Apr - 2017).

Last edited by calabs; 05-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Consequently enough, I haven't had a chance to drive at night.

Still waiting for that to happen, then I'll take some pics at night, and post results and opinions.

Stay tuned!!
You don't have to drive anywhere. Back out in driveway, take pics and done.

Ian B
Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM

You don't have to drive anywhere. Back out in driveway, take pics and done.

Ian B

Yes, taking pics is one part of the review. The other part is how the headlights actually work at seeing while driving at night (down-road throw).
Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Some people who had your issue removed the original fog light rubber seals and put them in the new led fog light to solve the water/condensation issue.

Ian B
will do again sometime.
i need to stop being lazy and do it.

i put halogens (white and yellow) just to heat it up and evaporate out.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 AM

Really content with this setup

Before

After - taken on a different day, so intensity is slightly different compared to before photo.

After

After

I'm really happy with this combination head/fog lights. The 2strokes have a very slight hint of blue in the photos, but you really can't detect that in person. They are MUCH brighter compared to the stock halogens, and down-road throw is better as well. The VLEDS fog lights are 5000K, which match the DRLs perfectly.

Last edited by calabs; 05-24-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Thanks.....!
I am a lighting engineer and I can tell you that 6000 Kelvin temperature is going to be unusually blue, and probably will be quite weak to boot. Most LED headlights out there do not compare will with HID lights. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here are some pictures of the LED low beams (Morimoto 2-stroke) and the fog lights (Philips X-treme Vision LED)

The picture cast a bit of a blue tint to the bulbs but the Philips Foglights look like an exact match to the DRL's. The 2-strokes are bright and have a slight blue tint to them but this could be because of the projector housings. They are still very white and a close match to the DRL's

Left side LED - Right side not led

Close Up

Around 7-8pm

Short Range Throw

Longer Throw
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the photos cma139. The short and long throw photos give a good example of the projection of these bulbs.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by xydehead

HID
Weak? Wow I have to strongly disagree here on this one. The factory led's are absolutely amazing on this car. They wipe the floor clean compared to our last car that came with factory hid's 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ.