8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Help with backup, license plate, footwell, door LED replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM

Help with backup, license plate, footwell, door LED replacement bulbs

There are SOO many different bulbs out there for the 2017 Max, it's impossible to choose without some insight. Can anyone help me narrow down the search? I've looked at all the popular vendors (too many to name), and the prices are all over the place (you get what you pay for?!). I'm looking for suggestions based on your experience, and what color/lumens you chose:

backup LEDs
License plate LEDs
Footwell LEDs
Door light LEDs

I know some of these use the same bulb type, but lumens will most likely be slightly different for the best affect.

Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by calabs
There are SOO many different bulbs out there for the 2017 Max, it's impossible to choose without some insight. Can anyone help me narrow down the search? I've looked at all the popular vendors (too many to name), and the prices are all over the place (you get what you pay for?!). I'm looking for suggestions based on your experience, and what color/lumens you chose:

backup LEDs
License plate LEDs
Footwell LEDs
Door light LEDs

I know some of these use the same bulb type, but lumens will most likely be slightly different for the best affect.

Thanks!!

I think this thread would be a great place to put all of this info together (call it interior/exterior LED lighting upgrades minus head/fog lights). Please share your experiences with these upgrades.
Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I ordered LED 194 bulbs from Amazon. Check out JDM Astar on Amazon. I also got the reverse lights (921) also. Waiting for delivery. I'll post pics once installed.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 AM

I think this thread would be a great place to put all of this info together (call it interior/exterior LED lighting upgrades minus head/fog lights). Please share your experiences with these upgrades.
Thanks!!
This thread already exists https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...do-i-need.html
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Clouded

Thanks Clouded - Yes I read the thread. Great resource for what size bulbs to get. It doesn't really mention the lights I was referring to; just glove box light, and fogs....
Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by PlatMax
I ordered LED 194 bulbs from Amazon. Check out JDM Astar on Amazon. I also got the reverse lights (921) also. Waiting for delivery. I'll post pics once installed.

Thanks PlatMax - Some of the JDMs look nice. I wound up going with the ijdmtoy back up lights (found a coupon for these:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/36-SMD-High...s-p/10-051.htm.

I'm looking for the LED white look, but not too bright where I'm blinding someone behind me!!

I went with the diode dynamics footwell (HP5) and license plate (HP3) LEDs. Not the cheapest, but lots of good reviews. Since these bulbs are identical with one having a higher lumen rating, I can figure out which looks best for the application.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...nse-plate-leds

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...ght-leds-pair/

I'll take some photos as well when they are all installed.

Thanks again for posting.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Thanks Clouded - Yes I read the thread. Great resource for what size bulbs to get. It doesn't really mention the lights I was referring to; just glove box light, and fogs....
Misread what you were looking for...I will not recommend the JDM 194 LEDs. I went through 2 bulbs for the License Plate in the year that I've had my car, but I do have an 80 mile commute everyday mostly in the dark so they are on almost constantly. I would suggest the Diode Dynamics HP3 or HP5 bulbs for license plate.

For the foot well and doors the JDMs are working fine for now, but I expect them to burn out eventually.

I do have the JDM reverse lights (LINK) in my car and they've held up fine and are bright as hell.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Clouded
Misread what you were looking for...I will not recommend the JDM 194 LEDs. I went through 2 bulbs for the License Plate in the year that I've had my car, but I do have an 80 mile commute everyday mostly in the dark so they are on almost constantly. I would suggest the Diode Dynamics HP3 or HP5 bulbs for license plate.

For the foot well and doors the JDMs are working fine for now, but I expect them to burn out eventually.

I do have the JDM reverse lights (LINK) in my car and they've held up fine and are bright as hell.

Thanks Clouded - Looking forward to getting the DD bulbs. Should be here tomorrow. I'll figure out whether the HP3s or HP5s work best as footwell or license plate. When I was looking at the DD website, they were out of stock on the reverse lights. The ijdmtoy bulbs I got look IDENTICAL to the ones on the DD site, so hopefully they will have identical quality!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 AM

DD HP3 in the footwell position

OK, I installed the HP3s in the footwell. I think these are certainly much brighter than the stock bulbs. Also this size bulb really matches the other interior LED lights in terms of intensity and color. A really nice fit overall.

I'm planning on using the HP5s for the license plate bulb replacements once I get time to open up the trunk cover.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Installation was a breeze....!

I installed the HP5s to replace the license plate lights, and these

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/36-SMD-High...10-051.htm#des

for the backup lights. Using the DD tutorial video, it took me all but 12 minutes to complete the installation. I also found that you don't need the 10mm socket that's in the video (confirmed with DD)., and found you can easily reach up and grab the bulbs without releasing the clips on the emergency pull down tab.