8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

faulty Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

faulty Gas Gauge

Two times now the wife's car has run out of gas. Fuel gauge was 1/4, miles to go was around 90 and car died. First time the dealer claims to have change a sensor. Both times this happened she was on I-5 rush hour traffic, that does not make the wife happy.

Anyone else have this issue.

She is now looking for a new car, her words last night were FUUUCCKK Nissan.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Did YOU see the gauge?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If they checked the gauges and they seem to be working electrically it could always be the float in the tank actually thinking it has more gas then it does.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Sounds like a one off problem that you should get in front of the service team with. I usually set my trip odomenter after each fill up and travel no more that 250 miles before filling up again. Good luck, should be a simple fix
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 PM

For more reasons than I care to list here (some very troubling), I NEVER let the fuel level go lower than a quarter of a tank. And when I fill up, I usually can only add 13 or so gallons, so my gauge is working (Nissan always shows empty with a few gallons left). Back in my adventurous days, I would let my 1985 Maxima fuel level drop to near empty, but still could not add more than 16 gallons. In other words, these Maximas could (if we liked taking chances) get over another hundred miles of open road driving after a PROPERLY WORKING gauge drops below 1/4 of a tank.

Spamaster - Your wife has every right to expect her car to not run out of gas before the gauge shows empty. It should not even be close. Your Nissan dealer is not giving you proper service. Either the gauge is correct or it is not correct. Your wife's Maxima's gauge is BADLY incorrect. Your dealer has a DUTY to correct the problem, no matter how much effort that may require.

In the meantime, please remind your wife that nobody knows when there will be an area-wide electrical outage and gas pumps will be totally useless, so she is correct to refill at around a quarter of a tank left. She is doing things properly. Your dealer MUST fix this. Until he does, she has little option but to fill up when the gauge shows HALF empty. Yes, that sucks. I wish I could stand in front of your dealer and tell him he needs to take proper care of his customers.

ps - Running out of gas in modern cars such as the Maxima can sometimes damage the catalytic converter to where it will not pass an emissions test. Of course most dealers can replace the converter for less than $1,000 bucks.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 03-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They claim this time it is the fuel pump, does not matter wife is trading it off as soon as we get it back.

Too bad really it is a very nice car but this is the fourth time it has been in the shop in 16 months, so she is done with it.