8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 PM

2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum questions.....

Just got this bad boy yesterday brand new with 16 miles on it! So excited!!! Have a few questions.

1. Headlamps don't come on at night when unlocking the car? I know they stay on when exiting.

2. We activated the Sirius radio trial. I go to change channels manually with the **** and I only get the preview channel/radio id number? I see some presets and those stations work?

3. Any general settings suggestions etc? We came from a loaded 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ. This Nissan seems to have a lot more settings etc wowzas!

4. Oil. What do dealers usually use for this car? 0w-20 full synthetic? We used nothing but Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in our last car and would not mind keeping it that way? Anyone else use that in their Maxima?

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 05-20-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:34 PM

I done some more reading in the manual. I just want to make sure I did not miss something on this. Did Nissan seriously not allow the car to turn on the headlamps automatically when unlocking the doors at night? That is a huge bummer if so.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I done some more reading in the manual. I just want to make sure I did not miss something on this. Did Nissan seriously not allow the car to turn on the headlamps automatically when unlocking the doors at night? That is a huge bummer if so.
yeah only the tail lights and led drl turn on. Even at night , it's a bummer
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually like that the headlights don't come on like that. Especially with the under-car lighting accessory, the car lights up plenty. Headlights would be just another drain on the battery (and alternator when you start it) and this car already has plenty of battery-draining items. Would be superfluous for me personally.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shooter41
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually like that the headlights don't come on in that situation. Especially with the under-car lighting accessory, the car lights up plenty. Headlights would be just another drain on the battery (and alternator when you start it) and this car already has plenty of battery-draining items. Would be superfluous for me personally.
I know we are in the minority with this, but I also do not like my headlights on unless the car is running and the alternator is keeping the battery charged. There was an annoying problem with the 7th gen Maxima in this area. The OEM battery was not up to the task of supplying all the many draws on the battery unless the motor was running. Lots of battery replacing. I changed from the OEM 550 CCA battery to a new 750 CCA battery and tried to avoid having the headlights or audio system on unless the motor was running and that solved the problem.

I have been driving since the 1940s, and , with some exceptions, have never felt it was a good thing to have a vehicle's headlights on unless the motor was running. But I understand others feel differently.