8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Common 8th Gen Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 PM

Common 8th Gen Problems

Hello,

I may/may not be using the search function properly but I could not find any threads about common 8th Gen Problems so I decided to start one dedicated to this topic.

This is in NO WAY a bashing of these cars.

I am especially disturbed by some issues with my 2016 SR. I purchased it new and it has 2,000 miles approx. I place some blame on the dealer for these issues. I detest my car and WAYZATA NISSAN. I regret not buying a Ford Fusion Sport or Honda Accord. This is my VERY LAST Nissan vehicle.

I took my car in for an early oil change because supposedly, it helps the engine to change the oil early, after the break in when there could be left over manufacturing debris or etc. (Could by a myth but I may as well try to protect my car)

These are problems SPECIFIC to my car:

• DANGEROUS: Both rear calipers are leaking brake fluid (apparently) so the dealer held on to the car (I was told this was highly unusual, I believe them) I find it odd that the brake light did not illuminate on the dashboard. Dealer noted this was especially dangerous and wished to work on the car immediately, which I appreciate.
  • Clunking rear suspension
  • Front dashboard speaker popping up (right ahead of the gauge hood cover)
  • A-Pillar cover coming off (popped back into place by dealer)
  • Rattles throughout the cabin
  • Indentation in the soft upper portion of rear interior door (one side)
  • Misaligned rear doors (so the curve does not line up with quarter panel
  • Slight discoloration of dashboard!
  • Distortion in windshield
  • Ticking steering wheel
  • Crackling tweeters
  • Vibrating brakes
I have had other issues with the delivery presentation of the car by WAYZATA NISSAN such as random scratches in the interior and exterior, which I am rather unhappy about. I did provide Nissan Corporate an honest assessment of this dealership, which was a 1/10 rating.

I am upset enough that I have contacted Nissan Corporate about the poor practises of Wayzata Nissan. I still don't have my car back because the brake parts have not arrived and it has been almost a week. NEVER BUY A CAR FROM WAYZATA NISSAN. Furthermore, WAYZATA NISSAN sold me the car with 2 unrepaired RECALLS! That shows their dishonest AND dishonourable sales practises.

UPDATE: All brake calipers replaced and hoses..this is horrific. Cost $4,000 under warranty to replace all four brake calipers and a module. Also, the brakes feel a bit spongy now so it appears the brakes are not as good as before. WAYZATA NISSAN is TERRIBLE!

Okay, onto other commonly reported issues I see on this forum:

Mechanical Issues
  • High oil consumption on early cars
  • Transmission shuddering and vibrating vehicle necessitating transmission reprogramming or replacement
  • Vibrating brakes (replaced rotors, later replaced brakes completely due to premature failure)
  • Random suspension creaking on surface inclines/declines
  • Car tramlining on grooved pavement causing difficulty in handling
  • Squealing brakes
Body/Interior/Structural Integrity Issues
  • Issues with panoramic roof - plastic clip breaking and roof not closing
  • Swirls in paint after washing
  • Easily chipped paint due to touchless car washes
  • Warped plastic under tray beneath fuel tank
  • Slight rock to drivers seat (replaced seat frame, has not returned)
  • Rear deck rattle from brake light shield rubbing window
  • Musty/Fishy/Moldy smell from air vents
  • Faulty windshield with many chips
  • Ticking steering wheel
Technology-Related Issues
  • Infotainment system resetting itself/not booting
  • Storage Fuse popping out causing reset of audio/trip computer
  • SXM radio slow to operate or display
  • 2016 models do not have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
  • 2016 models have older 2013-2014 navigation SD card
  • Audio volume does not return after sonar chime

I am sure I am missing others. Maybe we could add to the list?
It appears Nissan Quality Control is notably lagging, especially as these cars are now built in the USA.

Thanks

Last edited by minnesotan; 08-26-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but it happened with my '17 SL. When I was inspecting the area in the back of the vehicle, I noticed the plastic cover for the gas tank (under the vehicle) was warped. When I brought the car in for my 5K service, I brought this issue to the attention of the dealer. He concluded that the piece was deformed, so he replaced it under the warranty.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM

At this point, I think I'd seriously wonder about what happened to your vehicle on delivery. I got a super sketchy vibe from Wayzata Nissan -- especially the new car sales manager, and elected to go elsewhere for my purchase. I haven't had any of the things you've described on the first, but on the second, I've had

Car tramlining on grooved pavement
Transmission shuddering -- fixed with latest update
Musty/Fishy/Moldy smell from air vents

as well as

Vibrating brakes (replaced rotors, later replaced brakes completely due to premature failure)
Slight rock to drivers seat (replaced seat frame, has not returned)

Dealership (Luther Nissan Kia) has been amazing.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:53 AM

Not sure if this is common on the Maxima, but appears to be on the Murano after doing some Googling. This morning my phone would not connect to the bluetooth. I tried restarting my phone and the car but it still wouldn't connect. I tried to delete/unpair my phone from my Maxima but it won't delete. I'll tap on delete, it says deleted but it's still there. I turned bluetooth off and now it won't turn back on. I've had this car less than a week and only have like 300 miles on it. So frustrating.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Some problems I've experienced:

- Car Rattle at highway speeds[Initially assumed sunroof, but found it coming from front passenger seat belt]
- Brake Squeal on offramp from highway speeds
- Rear Suspension creak over decline bumps
Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Viper786
Not sure if this is common on the Maxima, but appears to be on the Murano after doing some Googling. This morning my phone would not connect to the bluetooth. I tried restarting my phone and the car but it still wouldn't connect. I tried to delete/unpair my phone from my Maxima but it won't delete. I'll tap on delete, it says deleted but it's still there. I turned bluetooth off and now it won't turn back on. I've had this car less than a week and only have like 300 miles on it. So frustrating.
I had that happen on me. Open the fuse bow beside the steering and pull the white storage switch inside. Push the switch back after 5 minutes and it'll work. Does the same as a battery disconnect.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Abraham Ko
Some problems I've experienced:

- Car Rattle at highway speeds[Initially assumed sunroof, but found it coming from front passenger seat belt]
- Brake Squeal on offramp from highway speeds
- Rear Suspension creak over decline bumps
I have noticed this same rattle from the passenger seat belt. What did you do to fix it?
Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM

I have the rattle on the driver side with our new 2017 Platinum.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by candt
I have noticed this same rattle from the passenger seat belt. What did you do to fix it?
I have a rattle at highway speeds coming from that direction too. Curious about solution.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by calabs
I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but it happened with my '17 SL. When I was inspecting the area in the back of the vehicle, I noticed the plastic cover for the gas tank (under the vehicle) was warped. When I brought the car in for my 5K service, I brought this issue to the attention of the dealer. He concluded that the piece was deformed, so he replaced it under the warranty.
I have this prob too. No others.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Is the storage fuse popping out a common issue?

i am almost at 55k and it had come off twice in two months.
not a big deal, but it is annoying when the trip counters and some audio settings are reset.

i might just zip tie it down... haha
Old 06-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had my car since late February. Here's what I've run into:

- Radio volume does not always return to same level after sonar beeps. Have to crank the volume to hear. Requires me to turn car off then back on to get to normal so if it happens on a drive somewhere I just deal with it.

- Door light on bottom of passenger side door fell out and was just hanging by the electrical wire. Dealership had to order repair parts and then fixed.

- Just noticed over the past few days, but when turning on the car, it's taking a longer amount of time for the radio to display the song information and SXM channel icons and also seeing a delay when turning the station. Has anyone else run into this?

- Rear window/deck rattle when hitting bumps. My understanding from these forums that this is just a "known" issue with how the cars are made.

I only have 4,300 miles on mine so I'll be bringing up the volume and display issues when I take it in for the 5K service.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took it to the dealership since it was under the 1 year bumper to bumper, they pulled off the seat belt paneling and weren't able to discern where it was coming from this morning. When I went on a test drive with tech and even by myself, the rattling seemed to be reduced so maybe it was just them pulling out and replacing back in the headliner. I still have no idea as this time. So far, I don't hear the rattle at speed anymore, only over certain bumps so maybe the action of pulling out the passenger headliner and placing it back in helped??
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM

from day one I noticed sound coming from my lumbar support...when I move in my seat, I can hear noise coming from the middle section of the drivers chair...asked the dealer and they said they could find an issue...idiots...I will return for another assessment. I suspect its the support inside the chair rubbing...they better fix it or replace the entire chair....
also have rattling in the rear cabin when I have the radio turned up...the bass rattles something...will need to figure this out
I have no other issues many other mentioned...fingers crossed
Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 PM

Not the slightest problem on my 2016 SV with 24K miles.

Only irritant is that the TPMs don't self learn which is pretty rank.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgesMax888
from day one I noticed sound coming from my lumbar support...when I move in my seat, I can hear noise coming from the middle section of the drivers chair...asked the dealer and they said they could find an issue...idiots...I will return for another assessment. I suspect its the support inside the chair rubbing...they better fix it or replace the entire chair....
also have rattling in the rear cabin when I have the radio turned up...the bass rattles something...will need to figure this out
I don't know if it's related or not, but I test drove a 2017 and both front seats had a similar problem. The centre of the seat backs creaked and made weird noises whenever I moved my back a little bit. This was above the lumber, somewhere in the upper back.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:28 PM

For those with rattles... check in doors, check the caps inside door release latch inside cabin. As I always had rattles with music playing. Had them all replaced by dealer for tighter fitment... No more rattling! Also if you keep glasses in compartment above rear view mirror you will get a rattle there. Tried different types of glasses. Best to not keep glasses there. As I think of more I will post.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:06 AM

2016 S bought precertified from Nissan w 15k miles. Other than having plastic trim on bottom of driver seat, nothing wrong or rattles in the car. Love my Beauty and the Beast Veronica.

Ian B
Old 06-05-2017, 01:24 PM

I've had my '17 Pearl White Platinum a little over a week now, and I can say that I haven't had any issues with it yet, other than adjusting from a '09 SV with Sport package. I do notice a difference in the steering feel as this is more float-y than my '09 was, but I'm going to try it in sport mode on the highway home and see how that feels. Still in disbelief that I got the car, simply because I wasn't looking to buy. But at 119,895 miles and the AC just going out on the '09 (a $1,589.00 fix and I just had both lower control arms replaced last month @ about $1,200) it started to make sense in the long run.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Just started noticing the rattling yesterday on my '17 Platinum. Only have 600 miles on the car. Going to be taking it to the dealer soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i HATE rattles and will not buy a car if it has them. Please tell me there is a solution to the rattles.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lonestareagle
i HATE rattles and will not buy a car if it has them. Please tell me there is a solution to the rattles.

Good thing you don't live in my part of canada. All of my past cars had rattles in the first week from potholes and cracks.

Last edited by stodge; 06-10-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Has anyone noticed numerous chips (very small) in the windshield? It seems to reflect in sunlight, especially in the morning.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 AM

I noticed that on my '17, but I doubted they were chips, like from sand blasting we get when we've got a few interstate miles on the cars. Have seen it before if I've left my car near trees. I thought it might be some type of pollen residue from new leaf growth (I could almost feel it with my hand), so I clay-barred my windshield and the sparklies disappeared. Normal window cleaner did not do such a thorough job. Just my experience.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Has anyone figured out where the suspension clunk is originating from? What the cause is? My 2017 with 898 miles is doing it too

My fogs also accrue condensation in the inside upper corners when it rains, and my passenger window operates slower than the drivers window.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Has anyone figured out where the suspension clunk is originating from? What the cause is? My 2017 with 898 miles is doing it too

My fogs also accrue condensation in the inside upper corners when it rains, and my passenger window operates slower than the drivers window.
My Maxima has been at the dealer since yesterday trying to figure out the cause of the rattling. If they can figure it out, I'll update the post here. I'm stuck driving a loaner Rogue for the time being
Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Lol funny thing about that post is I traded a 2015 rogue for the max... But the rattling you're talking about... Is that the same thing as the suspension clunk? Mine is a clunk, not a rattle
Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Lol funny thing about that post is I traded a 2015 rogue for the max... But the rattling you're talking about... Is that the same thing as the suspension clunk? Mine is a clunk, not a rattle
Hmm, must be something else then. I don't have a clunk. See this thread I started for a video of the sound that my car makes:

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...-rattling.html
Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Viper786
Hmm, must be something else then. I don't have a clunk. See this thread I started for a video of the sound that my car makes:

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...-rattling.html
Oh damn... Mine is different. Mine is a single clunk or thump, mostly when going slow over an undulating surface or slowly pulling out of an off kilter driveway with an angle, etc. it's not even on angles that are that bad... But it's mostly, if not all the time, at single digit speeds
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgesMax888
Maybe...

2016 Nissan Maxima Service Bulletins

NTB17-017
2016-2017 NISSAN MAXIMA; NOISE HEARD WHEN LEANING BACK IN A FRONT SEAT
A creaking or squeak type noise is heard when sitting in either front seat and leaning back into the lower portion of the seatback.

You can download the TSB here...

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/947/
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Just as info, replacing the breakin oil early in order to catch any debris/bits of metal, etc, from the engine breakin period was an important task on Detroit products from the 1950s until around 1980. I even continued the practice until the early 2000s. But Nissan stopped using breakin oil several years ago, and the oil installed in the factory is a high quality blend that Nissan says should easily last 5K miles or more. Most modern engines have such close tolerances and perfectly fitting parts that there are no bits of metal, etc, in the OEM oil.

Maxima engines are manufactured in Decherd, TN, which is around 75 miles southeast of the Nissan assembly plant in Smyrna, TN. An acquaintance who works at Nissan Headquarters in Franklin TN (about 20 miles south of downtown Nashville) told me a few years back that Nissan uses magnets during assembly as part of the effort to insure there are no metal bits left in the engine. I know magnets won't attract aluminum bits, but should catch any ferrous bits.

I personally feel the best thing we can do early-on to extend the life of our engines is to go easy on them the first 20K or so miles. I actually drive my Maximas fairly gently as long as I have them, and have never had engine problems.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 AM

I was taking a friend home from the movies yesterday and he noticed a space on the steering column by the wiper controls where the upper casing of the steering column meets the lower casing (He works for NTHSA, so he's big on the fit and finish of cars). It easily pushes down. I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I get an oil change next. I'm also not opposed to super gluing the pieces together. I did that on the passenger side back black strip panel when I felt it was a little loose.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by drakutis
I was taking a friend home from the movies yesterday and he noticed a space on the steering column by the wiper controls where the upper casing of the steering column meets the lower casing (He works for NTHSA, so he's big on the fit and finish of cars). It easily pushes down. I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I get an oil change next. I'm also not opposed to super gluing the pieces together. I did that on the passenger side back black strip panel when I felt it was a little loose.
That is a thoughtful approach. Over the years, I have found many things on my cars (some brand new) that were not perfect. In many cases, I did not feel qualified to make the needed fix or adjustment, so took things to the dealer. but in other cases, I decided to make the fix or adjustment myself in order to reduce the chances of a sloppy mechanic doing additional damage.

Cars have gotten much more complicated. I spent hundreds of hours under the hoods of cars between the 1940s and the 1970s, but leave underhood work to the pros these days.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 AM

I have the rattle that sounds like it's in the trunk.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by drakutis
Mine had that brand new. I pointed it out when I took possession (on a Sunday) and they had me come back on Monday. The service tech tried to force it to close, but couldn't, said the shell was deformed, so he ordered a new one. Installed it the next weekend in 20 min; no issues since.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Maybe...

2016 Nissan Maxima Service Bulletins

NTB17-017
2016-2017 NISSAN MAXIMA; NOISE HEARD WHEN LEANING BACK IN A FRONT SEAT
A creaking or squeak type noise is heard when sitting in either front seat and leaning back into the lower portion of the seatback.

You can download the TSB here...

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/947/
i think im having a similar issue, i was trying to decide if im just being picky/OCD... but the passenger seat makes no noise at all, the drivers seat does and i can almost feel something moving in there sometimes when im driving... considering bringing it up at my 6 month maintenance appointment next month.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 PM

hearing "it's normal" bs about this driver seat too many times is annoying!

i can't wait for it to be an official nissan recall.
unless it is already... no?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by calabs
Yep. I went through this twice, and each replacement plate was warped in the same place!!! I wrote it off to poor workmanship and will correct the warped-down section with a screw and blind nut.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:50 AM

I had stuttering and shaking when feathering the throttle, especially on an incline, in my Altima. Lived with it the almost 5 years I had the car. Would even do it in cruise control. I'm sure the CVT needed to be replaced but dealerships could never replicate it.

Hopefully the max doesn't start doing that.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
Mine had that brand new. I pointed it out when I took possession (on a Sunday) and they had me come back on Monday. The service tech tried to force it to close, but couldn't, said the shell was deformed, so he ordered a new one. Installed it the next weekend in 20 min; no issues since.
I will definitely tell them that I saw in a forum that the casing was deformed.

Quick Reply: Common 8th Gen Problems