8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

People wanting to race this thing all the time WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:24 AM

People wanting to race this thing all the time WTH?

Seriously. We have only had our brand new 2017 Platinum deep blue pearl for about 2 weeks now. Also just got the windows tinted 2 days ago. I cant tell you how many people have wanted to race it. I just ignore the damn fools and mind my business. The worst yet happened last night. I was at a 2 lane stop light all by myself waiting when a car pulls up behind me. Light turns green and as I start to go. I kid you not. This jackass decided to whip around me on the right side gunning it while going through the big intersection. I have had other people ride on the side of me and essentially "blast off" as well. So what gives? Are you other owners having this problem with drivers?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:08 AM

Yes..i encounter this all the time
Old 06-03-2017, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Seriously. We have only had our brand new 2017 Platinum deep blue pearl for about 2 weeks now. Also just got the windows tinted 2 days ago. I cant tell you how many people have wanted to race it. I just ignore the damn fools and mind my business. The worst yet happened last night. I was at a 2 lane stop light all by myself waiting when a car pulls up behind me. Light turns green and as I start to go. I kid you not. This jackass decided to whip around me on the right side gunning it while going through the big intersection. I have had other people ride on the side of me and essentially "blast off" as well. So what gives? Are you other owners having this problem with drivers?
They don't want to race, you are just driving too slow grandpa.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
They don't want to race, you are just driving too slow grandpa.
Eeeeks! Don't put me at that age yet. I am only 36!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:36 PM

I get this all the time in So Cal. Most of the time I ignore it though there is a 10% change I will indulge and smoke the living hell out of them. Sometimes I think the maxima is underestimated and I just want to give them a taste 🙂
Old 06-04-2017, 10:34 AM

I know this comment is gonna sound really weird, but I've only seen a few other maximaa around the neighborhood I live. And I don't really understand why, but every time I've seen one I noticed the drivers tend to accelerate really really slowly. Must just be a fluke cuz I know this car ain't slow. Maybe they are just trying to stretch their gas mileage, or avoid the fake shifts, but I've yet to see a Max around here launch from the starting line.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I know this comment is gonna sound really weird, but I've only seen a few other maximaa around the neighborhood I live. And I don't really understand why, but every time I've seen one I noticed the drivers tend to accelerate really really slowly. Must just be a fluke cuz I know this car ain't slow. Maybe they are just trying to stretch their gas mileage, or avoid the fake shifts, but I've yet to see a Max around here launch from the starting line.
Normal mode has no fake shifts. Only in sport mode. I really wish Nissan would remove that through a computer update. The fake shifts are cheese ball cringe worthy. Now I did read something interesting. Apparently in sport mode. If you floor it from a dead stop. It will not do the fake shifting and hold the revs. Is this true?

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-04-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Normal mode has no fake shifts. Only in sport mode. I really wish Nissan would remove that through a computer update. The fake shifts are cheese ball cringe worthy. Now I did read something interesting. Apparently in sport mode. If you floor it from a dead stop. It will not do the fake shifting and hold the revs. Is this true?

Normal mode does indeed have fake shifts. Sport will fake shift at WOT, just higher in the RPMs.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Normal mode does indeed have fake shifts. Sport will fake shift at WOT, just higher in the RPMs.
Normal does?!?! Lmao I never even paid attention or felt it. That is why I had said it did not have it. Sport I did notice the fake shifts. I will pay more attention to normal mode with these shifts next time I am out.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 PM

nissan drivers

Originally Posted by Derichio02
I get this all the time in So Cal. Most of the time I ignore it though there is a 10% change I will indulge and smoke the living hell out of them. Sometimes I think the maxima is underestimated and I just want to give them a taste 🙂

so far I haven't had many direct challenges, mostly I agree that people underestimate the max and don't think we can run with them. The exception and the source of most attempts to get me to race seems to be the drivers of lesser Nissans, especially, for some god-awful reason, Sentra drivers, who all seem to believe their cars are really fast.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Literally was driving home from the dealership and raced over an overpass with an older genesis.... probably wasn't best during my break in period, but I couldn't resist. haahah I do expect and welcome more of this.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 PM

I was seriously looking at Genesis (sedan) for a while, but the damn things can't even get below the 7 second mark. Mighty fine looking car though
Old 07-04-2017, 03:52 PM

I smoke my friends new v8 genesis it was pretty fast. Lol
Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM

I've raced a v6 charger and a v6 challenger. Smoked them both. I raced a 370z for fun (knowing that he'll win) just to see the difference and he got me by 2 car lengths. (I also had a passenger with me so i dont know if that affected anything).
Old 07-04-2017, 05:27 PM

I was seriously looking at Genesis (sedan) for a while, but the damn things can't even get below the 7 second mark. Mighty fine looking car though
It weighs about the same as a 747.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Honestly.... doesn't feel that fast for me. And annoyed at no performance parts!!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by tokhij25
Honestly.... doesn't feel that fast for me. And annoyed at no performance parts!!
Car And Driver would like to have a word with ya.

Acceleration

Goose the throttle to pull out into traffic, and the Maxima responds with gusto. It’s a fast car, even by Car and Driver standards. At our test track, it performed a 5.9-second zero-to-60-mph run and finished the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 101 mph. Passing power is plentiful in the Maxima; in our 50-to-70-mph highway merging test, it managed a 3.8-second result, the best in the class.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driver-page-4
Old 07-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Car And Driver would like to have a word with ya.

Acceleration

Goose the throttle to pull out into traffic, and the Maxima responds with gusto. It’s a fast car, even by Car and Driver standards. At our test track, it performed a 5.9-second zero-to-60-mph run and finished the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 101 mph. Passing power is plentiful in the Maxima; in our 50-to-70-mph highway merging test, it managed a 3.8-second result, the best in the class.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driver-page-4
I get it... but my g35 cope pushed 290 and feels like it.Flys and holds me back more. Idk. Anyway you running any mods?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tokhij25
I get it... but my g35 cope pushed 290 and feels like it.Flys and holds me back more. Idk. Anyway you running any mods?
No big. I was just surprised you did not think it feels fast. I mean its no rocket but it moves with authority and don't mess around. Just stock no mods. Does the G35 weigh less and being smaller might have something to do with it? The Maxima is a full size car after all.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 07-05-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:12 AM

The fake shifts are cheese ball cringe worthy. Now I did read something interesting. Apparently in sport mode. If you floor it from a dead stop. It will not do the fake shifting and hold the revs. Is this true?
i need to read up on this... is this part of the whole new transmission on the new gens?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Well I thought the OP didn't want to race all the time :-)

But if you must get a little extra performance , I suggest...

1. Lose 50 pounds
2. Leave the wife home
3. Fill the trunk with helium balloons
4. Turn off the AC
5. Race downhill
6. And (seriously), get some summer tires
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Normal does?!?! Lmao I never even paid attention or felt it. That is why I had said it did not have it. Sport I did notice the fake shifts. I will pay more attention to normal mode with these shifts next time I am out.
It does fake shift in Normal, between 4200-4500 rpm. But I kinda like it.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I thought the OP didn't want to race all the time :-)

But if you must get a little extra performance , I suggest...

1. Lose 50 pounds I'd be too wormy
2. Leave the wife home It's her car after all
3. Fill the trunk with helium balloons Those cost money too
4. Turn off the AC Ever been to Arkansas? Heat and Humidity, terrible!
5. Race downhill The engine breaking messes me up
6. And (seriously), get some summer tires I thought that's what I had?

I'm curious if the Sillen or Motordyne stuff adds any thing to the car.

Last edited by Luke Duke; 07-26-2017 at 01:30 AM.