8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2017 Maxima Platinum cooling seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2017 Maxima Platinum cooling seats

I've never had cooling seats before and I live in a hot city so I never turn the cooling seats off. Sometimes I'm not sure if I feel the cooling seats like I did when j first bought the car and it's only been 2 months. Is it bad to leaving the cooling seats in the on position whether the car is on or off?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 AM

With mine, I leave it on most of the time. But I only really feel cooling in the lumbar part of my low back. I don't feel anything under my butt on the seat. Not sure if this is by design or not.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hungyman18
I've never had cooling seats before and I live in a hot city so I never turn the cooling seats off. Sometimes I'm not sure if I feel the cooling seats like I did when j first bought the car and it's only been 2 months. Is it bad to leaving the cooling seats in the on position whether the car is on or off?
The user manual says not to use them for an "extended" amount of time and to always shut them off before turning off the car. Take it for what its worth according to the manual. I personally follow what the manual states. Must be reasons for it.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 AM

I've test drive a few Platinum, and I haven't sat in one where the seat coolor worked very well. This wasn't high on my priority list, but it was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:40 AM

The cooling on the 7th Gen. was much better. For me on the 8's it is not noticeable at all with jeans and a belt on. Perhaps if I sat nude in the car then I might feel it. But yes it's a disappointment in my Plat. as well.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Barely noticeable wearing long pants. I haven't worn shorts in the car yet, but I will be soon since it's heating up here in the Northeast. I'll see if they're more noticeable then.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 AM
I drank what?

My S550 Mustang had the cooled seats and it was the exact opposite. Your cheeks would freeze but your lumbar would sweat. Maybe someday they will get it figured out.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 AM

I leave mine on most of the time. What I have noticed is that from leaving them on most of the time I become less sensitive to it. But if I turn it off for a while, I notice that it actually was working because I start getting hot. Just my two cents.

When I was looking at new cars the cooled seats was a must on my list.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've found the cooled seats to be the best thing since sliced bread here in the muggy south. I feel it just fine with jeans on, though it takes a minute for it to take effect, just as the manual says it does. I do try to remember to turn it off before I turn the car off, as per the manual.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:18 AM

2017 Plat. owner here. I keep my cooled seats on most of the time. I'm a hot natured person, with sweaty-*** syndrome, lol. I will never own another car without cooled seats again. That being said, my cooled seats work very well.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Not sure how true it is but my salesperson thought the stronger you turned up the fan on the AC, it would affect the seats blowers.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by casiouser
Not sure how true it is but my salesperson thought the stronger you turned up the fan on the AC, it would affect the seats blowers.
While I can't say definitively since I haven't tried that, I would be willing to bet that's not the case. I'm pretty sure the in-seat fan speed is what you're increasing when you turn the little **** farther left. I know the dial would increase the temp when you're using the heater, but I bet it's the fan speed you're increasing when you're cooling. Of course, I could be wrong. I usually tend to disregard whatever car salesmen say. Apologies to some of you...
Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM

I can tell you that I have researched these cooled seats... I have just added the Katzkin aftermarket leather with heated and cooled... The factory unit uses the same setup except it uses one blower instead of two. there is a small fan under the seat that blows air past a TED (Thermo Electric Device ) depending on the polarity of the wires it either heats or cools the air that goes past it... it blows the air that is cooled about 10 degrees ambient air temperature, into a pad in the seat back and seat cushion. This pad helps distribute air in the seat..
These devices are peltier coolers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fEm_9VKd_9tM-w
This unit is made my Gentherm as are most of the units. I know that the filters for many cars fit many other makes and models. For example a ford focus filter fits my older maxima. The nissan filter was cheaper! More info

These cooled seats are in no way connected to your AC vents.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 PM

My wife and I do not use the seat cooling except during hot weather. We both noticed that there seems to be more cooling effect in the lower back than in the seat bottom, but both definitely show cooling in our Platinum.

We always turn all seat heating/cooling off when leaving the car. Just our nature.

We could get by without the seat cooling, but I have very poor circulation in my ancient hands, and cannot/do not drive any vehicle in cool/cold weather unless it has a heated steering wheel. Fortunately, my wife's hands stay warm, and she can drive when we are in a vehicle without heated steering wheel.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM

I (and others) have noticed that the seat cooling seems to be somewhat tied into the climate control. Even if I have my seat cooler set to max, it seems to not feel as cool once the ambient temp inside the car lowers. I run my climate control in Auto Mode and I swear, I truly believe that it also regulates the fan in my seat....much to my dismay! If I have my seat set to max cool, it's because I WANT IT AT MAX COOL, but it seems to cool noticeably LESS as the climate control begins to lower the vent blower. Anybody else notice this?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM

I believe there is a motor in the seat somewhere, because you can hear it churning when it is turned on. But I don't imagine it actually cools the air, because that would require a compressor as well. So whatever coolness the air has must come from a vent supplied by the main AC unit.

I never found them to be super effective, but it does help eliminate some of the heat from the black leather seats
Old 02-14-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I believe there is a motor in the seat somewhere, because you can hear it churning when it is turned on. But I don't imagine it actually cools the air, because that would require a compressor as well. So whatever coolness the air has must come from a vent supplied by the main AC unit.

I never found them to be super effective, but it does help eliminate some of the heat from the black leather seats
I agree completely. I can hear the in-seat blower correspond to my seat **** settings, but I believe the cool air must be coming off of the under-seat (rear floor) or rear vents. Probably explains why ithe seat seems much less cool when the main cabin blower is running at lower speeds.