8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New engine break in

Hello all, I recently became the owner of a new 2017 Maxima and had a question about the engine break in period. I know the manual states that for the first 1500 miles the engine should not be redlined or subject to sudden full throttle starts, but I have seen varying information about engine break in being a myth, or being crucial to the long life and performance of the engine etc.

For the most part I have been following the guidelines, however at around 250-300 miles I let a buddy of mine take it for a spin and sure enough he floored it and redlined it a couple of times. Shortly after another buddy of mine wanted to race me in his 4 series and we did a few full throttle starts from idle in a straight line.

My question is if this could have possibly damaged the engine or will cause me problems further down the road. Besides these full throttle cycles I have been breaking the engine in slowly, keeping it under 4000 rpm, varying the rpms on longer drives and taking it easy, but not babying the throttle mostly going about 50%.

What can I expect after this?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 AM
I drank what?

You will be fine. But if you were that concerned after your buddy red-lined it why do you race the 4 series??
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 AM

Who won the races?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

After the first one floored it I threw caution to the wind and figured if anything would get damaged it would have been damaged when he took it over 4k. In retrospect thats probably faulty thinking, but I'm new to the whole new car thing haha.

Off the line the Maxima lead, but when the 4 series' twin turbo kicked in he pulled forward. At higher rpm however the Maxima seemed to take the win, but the whole thing was a pretty back and forth affair
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Not good. You only get 1 chance to break in an engine properly. Nissan also knows when you are being a bad boy. They really monitor this car for warranty purposes so it seems? Any ways. I have followed the Nissan guide for the first 1200 keeping it under 4k rpm's at all times as suggested in the manual and being gentle. I have no idea what this car can do as I have not floored it once or taken it past 4k rpm's. I only have a little over 600 miles on it. Still have a ways to go. Call me being over paranoid I suppose but I want my car to last in the long term and have a good run. Its not a race car. If folks are wanting that. Buy a real sports car meant for it. This is not a 4DSC no matter how they sugar coat it.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-19-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for bringing that up because that was the initial concern which I forgot to mention in my OP. Does it really record redlines to void the warranty? I'm not familiar with the CVT and I would think that any redlining would be a short coming of the CVT as I understand the purpose is to keep the revs at a efficient/proper level?

Also, how would they have enough information about the event to determine that it was me and not someone who test drove the vehicle at the lot or a salesperson at the dealership?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 PM

The car monitors how you drive and they know when its abused. I would imagine because a car like this. They know people could potentially abuse it all to hell and back. Do you also notice on the Nissan screen rather you accept or decline it sends Nissan information about the transmission etc? I am not saying they will void it with spirited driving some times. Just when you beat the holly hell out of it constantly. I don't know how true it is reading about the CVT's in these cars and how fragile they are. Like glass exploding I guess you could say. But this is my first CVT car I have ever owned. I am not worried about it personally.

Nissan likes to advertise this car as a 4DSC. I would imagine they are prepared for people to abuse it POSSIBLY looking the other way and honoring the warranty. Just wishful thinking on my behalf. My opinion. Its your car and drive how you see fit. But just keep it in the back of your head if the dealer gives you grief if something goes real bad and wont honor the warranty. They would know why and could prove it to Nissan through diagnostic recordings I would imagine.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:34 PM

No harm done. In modern engines, break in is complete after the first few heat cycles.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After doing some online reading it appears the rev limiter cuts off at 6,600 RPM and when my buddy floored it it maxed at 6k. My understanding is that the automakers that void warranties for over revving will do it once youve hit the rev limiter so that relieves some worry about the warranty being voided somewhat.

Glad to hear that it should be ok, but it seems that the mixed opinions on it is something that can't be escaped. What would one have to monitor in the opinion of a "bad break in"?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Nothing. Dont overthink it. Its a non issue, I promise.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Hmmm they never mention a break in period when you are test driving the car. My salesman was like, "Man get up on it"!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 AM

I've never heard of an auto maker voiding the warranty due to spirited driving. I've had Hondas, Audis, VWs, Fords and have never had this be an issue. I am a "spirited" driver 60% of the time if not more. I commute 70 miles one way to work. If this is true then this is my last Nissan and it will be traded in by the end of the year. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM

I would also like to add that I do keep up with my maintenance and take really good care of all my vehicles.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dgraham2038
Hmmm they never mention a break in period when you are test driving the car. My salesman was like, "Man get up on it"!!!
They don't care about the demo vehicles - they just sell those off when they've used them long enough.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
They don't care about the demo vehicles - they just sell those off when they've used them long enough.
I usually buy THAT particular car that I just test drove... But that's just me....
Old 06-20-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
I usually buy THAT particular car that I just test drove... But that's just me....
Yea I was lost on that response as well...🤔🤔🤔
Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 PM

I always buy the one I drive. Because I know it works lol
Old 06-21-2017, 12:55 AM

Just makes common sense to me to take reasonable care of equipment. I am careful with the ways I use my chain saws, lawn mowers, gasoline edgers, brakes, etc. and just about anything with moving parts. I have owned nothing but Maximas since October of 1984, and have never redlined a single one of them. Never had major poblems, either. Drove several past 200K miles. Once carefully broken in, I do often drive in a spirited fashion. But if I am going to want to drive like I am driving a race car, then I would simply BUY a race car. But to each his own. Whatever floats your boat.