8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Anyone have a dealer install premium spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Anyone have a dealer install premium spoiler?

I read on this forum about how several have done installs of the premium spoiler themselves. While it looks relatively easy and straightforward, I'm a little "skidish" about drilling holes in the trunk.

Has anyone had the dealer do this install, and if so, may I ask how much they charged? How many man-hours do they estimate for the install?

BTW- when looking at the instruction to do the install, they mention the Nissan brand rust preventative recommended to coat the drilled holes (P/N 999MP-9G001P). I'm not familiar with this product, and was curious what others have used when they installed it themselves.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I installed it myself at home, and it seemed pretty simple. As long as you are confident with the drilling, you'll be fine.

As for the rust prevention, I used a spray can of Rust-Oleum to cover up the bare metal.

The wiring wasn't bad at all, if you bought an OEM spoiler, it's just plug and play, but otherwise just strip the wires and connect them together.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 AM

I am having my local dealer install my new premium spoiler for me tomorrow. Their body shop is doing the install and I would imagine they have the stuff for rust prevention. They install spoilers all the time. I doubt they would have the actual Nissan stuff on site but use something very similar.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I am having my local dealer install my new premium spoiler for me tomorrow. Their body shop is doing the install and I would imagine they have the stuff for rust prevention. They install spoilers all the time. I doubt they would have the actual Nissan stuff on site but use something very similar.

Thanks for the reply. After they install it, can you please let me know what they charged?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by calabs
Thanks for the reply. After they install it, can you please let me know what they charged?
They charged me $50 for install. But its usually a little more since I bought the spoiler directly from them and cover said they would install it for $50. If I had to guess for a spoiler install any where from $75-$100 maybe? Also not sure if this is important or not to you. But they will cover the install/warranty from the factory for 3/36k as long as its dealer installed.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-19-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM

They charged me $50 for install. But its usually a little more since I bought the spoiler directly from them and cover said they would install it for $50. If I had to guess for a spoiler install any where from $75-$100 maybe? Also not sure if this is important or not to you. But they will cover the install/warranty from the factory for 3/36k as long as its dealer installed.

You got a really good deal! One hour labor at my dealer is $115, and I'm figuring that is the least they will charge.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM

I read your post on the thread you started about the install. That really suks. Glad to hear they are making good though. I guess it pays to have an authorized dealer do the install in the event something like this happens. If you would have done it yourself, I don't think the outcome would have been as favorable!!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 PM

damn that's a really cheap deal. my dealer wanted 335$ for the spoiler + 200$ for install. no thanks
Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 AM

Bought my spoiler aftermarket from spoiler king for $100 and had a local mechanic here in NYC install it for $150 for a total of $250 not to bad considering that my local nissan dealer wanted $450 for the spoiler and $400 labor, yes $400 for labor. smh.
$600 saving's.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bones787718
Bought my spoiler aftermarket from spoiler king for $100 and had a local mechanic here in NYC install it for $150 for a total of $250 not to bad considering that my local nissan dealer wanted $450 for the spoiler and $400 labor, yes $400 for labor. smh.
$600 saving's.

Thanks bones....which spoiler did you purchase? I see there's about 6 offered for the 8th gen Maxima. I don't see any with the 3rd light (which the OEM version has). Was yours painted to match the color of your car?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by calabs
Thanks bones....which spoiler did you purchase? I see there's about 6 offered for the 8th gen Maxima. I don't see any with the 3rd light (which the OEM version has). Was yours painted to match the color of your car?
I got one from spoiler and wing king, it came w the third light, looks like oem one and in oem colors available.

Ian B
Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ian B
I got one from spoiler and wing king, it came w the third light, looks like oem one and in oem colors available.

Ian B
Ian, you have pics?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Torsion bars

Has anyone who did a DIY install of the OEM spoiler also install the torsion bars? The Nissan publication states that there's a special tool to use to do it safely, and that it should be done by a nissan dealer. The instructions don't even include how to install them.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by P410P
I installed it myself at home, and it seemed pretty simple. As long as you are confident with the drilling, you'll be fine.

As for the rust prevention, I used a spray can of Rust-Oleum to cover up the bare metal.

The wiring wasn't bad at all, if you bought an OEM spoiler, it's just plug and play, but otherwise just strip the wires and connect them together.
Can you post pics? I am really curious how it turned out for you. Does it look factory like after you installed it yourself? Any problems with it lifting up or any thing like that? My dealer is having trouble with mine and remounting it tomorrow per Nissan's request. They had "trouble" with the left side. Apparently I was told they have trouble with all makes/models when it comes to spoiler mounting. They never come out perfect like "factory" would. Which is funny. Because I see you guys doing self installs and I don't read about issues. It also looks like it came from the factory like that. Is my dealer just not capable of putting on spoilers properly it seems?

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 06-27-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 AM

Your dealer may have some knuckleheads working in that department. Like Ian I picked up a sport spoiler from wing king, and it was perfect. Third brake light, included and is QAB paint, white and matched the cars paint perfectly. Install took me about an hour, had a few interruptions from the kids. Fitment, finish and function is perfect. I couldn't be happier with it. The spoiler itself is very light. I have had no issues with the trunk operation or it being heavy and shutting to hard or not opening easily. Judge for yourself, does it look factory, other than being white rather than black. I didn't want my SR looking like every other midnight version. I also did the HMBL delete and block off plate.

The whole deal cost be about $130 including shipping.

Name:  SPoiler_zpspcgt9ihm.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  240.9 KB
Name:  2EBAB7A3-B5EC-42AE-AB5E-2652953F789D_zpsu35wkvyj.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  188.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0003_zpsjhmanshb.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  281.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0005_zpsdtwvc46v.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  272.9 KB

HoustonQX3

Last edited by HoustonQX3; 06-28-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 AM

^ Looks perfect. I seen a SR yesterday with that same looking factory spoiler. Starting to get convinced my dealer has no idea wth they are doing. If the remount comes out bad today. I wont be pleased. I have the owner of the dealership involved now and he wont let it off the lot until its done right. We will meet personally and take a look together when they call me to come get it later on today.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM

I got the car back today and the remount is as perfect as one can get. It looks like factory. They done a great job this time and got it right. It took the owner of the dealership to get involved to get it right.