8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What does the yellow light mean?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have had my new Max S for a week, and I have had an indicator pop up twice, that I have no idea what it is trying to tell me. The light is located just above the speedometer, to the left. It is a yellow light that flashes and is shaped like a car. I have looked through the owners guide, Google, and You Tube. Both time it happened was with a sudden stop, where I was somewhat close to a vehicle in front of me. It almost felt like a warning of vehicle too close, but the S does not have the feature. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Maybe traction control?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 PM

yellow, is a warning of proximity alert too close too fast.
red, the car might brake for you if you are a bit slow braking.

i have seen it a few times... even the whole cluster flashes red.
really wakes you up.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM

OP... Your Maxima, is it a 2017.5? Being an S model, it won't have that forward collision stuff unless it's a 2017.5.

Mine is a 2017 S, and I don't have the forward collision/blind spot tech
Old 08-02-2017, 12:27 AM

better to take a pic of that light
Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 AM

Sounds like the forward collision warning. As mentioned, Nissan did a 2017.5 revision on the Maxima that adds forward collision warning to all models.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, mine is a 2017.5. That must be the warning light for too close. It only flashes for a second. Thank you for the replies.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Vince Panone
Have had my new Max S for a week, and I have had an indicator pop up twice, that I have no idea what it is trying to tell me. The light is located just above the speedometer, to the left. It is a yellow light that flashes and is shaped like a car. I have looked through the owners guide, Google, and You Tube. Both time it happened was with a sudden stop, where I was somewhat close to a vehicle in front of me. It almost felt like a warning of vehicle too close, but the S does not have the feature. Any suggestions appreciated.
I had that come up on my 2016, was happening with no cars in front of me, took it to the dealer and they had to replace a bad sensor! Never came back after that!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Note on the forward collision warning and emergency braking systems. While driving my (then) brand new 2016 Platinum, a car that I was following (pretty far back from) began turning right...out of my lane. Doing as I've done for 30+ years driving, I simply let off the gas and "timed it"....knowing that I wouldn't even get close to his rear bumper (AT ALL!). Well.....apparently my brand new Max Plat didn't like the closure rate NOR the fact that it (I'm assuming) couldn't discern that the object it was detecting ahead was moving and leaving my line of travel....it just saw an object that I was closing in on at what was probably 40-45mph.

When my car and I reached what WOULD HAVE BEEN the point of no return IF the car in front of me was NOT turning, it beeped at me rapidly AND DID A FULL ABS STOP into the intersection! Thank God there wasn't car behind me....lest they would have been IN MY TRUNK!!!

Lesson: I now follow others at greater distances and AT LEAST touch the brake to let my car know that I see the closure rate happening! Inherently" I suppose, making me a (somewhat) safer driver!

Lastly, I have had the car beep similarly (but slower) at me on a few occasions simply going around curves on a narrow road as it detects objects beside the road (mailboxes, parked cars etc). That beeping sound now ALWAYS makes me butt-grab the seat for a moment!

Last edited by DeepPearlBluePlatinum; 02-14-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Stupid auto-correct!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey

i have seen it a few times... even the whole cluster flashes red.
really wakes you up.
Wow I've never seen that, and hope I never do
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vince Panone
Red light means stop....green light means go....yellow light means go VERY FAST!"......Jeff Bridges in Starman

sorry, just couldn't help myself
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 AM

I have had my car do something similar once. I believe the fog was messing with things. I was exiting out of my community and as the gate was opening my sensor started beeping as if there was a car in front of me. As I started to go through the gate my car slammed on the brakes thinking something was still in front of me. I am so afraid of something happening like this on the highway.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PapaDroid
I have had my car do something similar once. I believe the fog was messing with things. I was exiting out of my community and as the gate was opening my sensor started beeping as if there was a car in front of me. As I started to go through the gate my car slammed on the brakes thinking something was still in front of me. I am so afraid of something happening like this on the highway.
I love the ICC, and think it works great most of the time, but yeah I turn it off if someone is tailgating me. Never know if the car is going to be too eager with the brakes.

I suppose there can be some no-win situations where the guy in front stops , you must stop too. Whether or not you hit the brakes or the car does, your probably going to be hit from behind.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I love the ICC, and think it works great most of the time, but yeah I turn it off if someone is tailgating me. Never know if the car is going to be too eager with the brakes.

I suppose there can be some no-win situations where the guy in front stops , you must stop too. Whether or not you hit the brakes or the car does, your probably going to be hit from behind.
Yes, this auto-braking system takes a little getting used to, but I love it. It keeps me from hitting the vehicle in front of me, and if anyone hits me from behind, it is their fault. I try to not put myself into a situation where the car has to do the braking for me. Like others here, I have noted that the system has no way of knowing what the car in front is actually going to do, so assumes a slowing down for turning is maybe stopping, and if lanes are not lined up just right, thinks a vehicle ahead of me and one lane over to either side is in my lane. That makes sense to me, and does not bother me at all.

I love all these safety systems, but am not too happy about the future, because I am not excited about having a car that does the driving for me. I began driving in the mid-1940s, and a huge part of my life has been enjoying driving.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by PapaDroid
Yes, the sensors can be obscured or confused by environmental/weather conditions. Mine once turned itself off when there was snow covering them. I do believe that it does quite a good job of "learning" and defaulting on the "safety" side. I have had far less false alarms after just a couple of months...either IT...or I have learned to coexist....and in a safer manner!

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, this auto-braking system takes a little getting used to, but I love it. It keeps me from hitting the vehicle in front of me, and if anyone hits me from behind, it is their fault. I try to not put myself into a situation where the car has to do the braking for me. Like others here, I have noted that the system has no way of knowing what the car in front is actually going to do, so assumes a slowing down for turning is maybe stopping, and if lanes are not lined up just right, thinks a vehicle ahead of me and one lane over to either side is in my lane. That makes sense to me, and does not bother me at all.

I love all these safety systems, but am not too happy about the future, because I am not excited about having a car that does the driving for me. I began driving in the mid-1940s, and a huge part of my life has been enjoying driving.
Light, I couldn't agree more! It CERTAINLY makes me a safer and more conscientious driver! Didn't take much time at all to learn how to keep it from beeping/braking etc. One can simply cheat to the outside of the lane a bit in a curve, or touch the brake to let it know that you're seeing what it is seeing, or MOST importantly, simply allow more space between your baby and whatever is in front of you. As I said above....can't find much wrong with a system making you drive MORE safely, huh? Driving is already a calculated risk in and of itself...and anything that LOWERS that risk is a welcomed addition. Now if I can just find an affordable car with these options to get my son next year for his first car!!
Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by DeepPearlBluePlatinum

Yes, the sensors can be obscured or confused by environmental/weather conditions. Mine once turned itself off when there was snow covering them. I do believe that it does quite a good job of "learning" and defaulting on the "safety" side. I have had far less false alarms after just a couple of months...either IT...or I have learned to coexist....and in a safer manner!

Light, I couldn't agree more! It CERTAINLY makes me a safer and more conscientious driver! Didn't take much time at all to learn how to keep it from beeping/braking etc. One can simply cheat to the outside of the lane a bit in a curve, or touch the brake to let it know that you're seeing what it is seeing, or MOST importantly, simply allow more space between your baby and whatever is in front of you. As I said above....can't find much wrong with a system making you drive MORE safely, huh? Driving is already a calculated risk in and of itself...and anything that LOWERS that risk is a welcomed addition. Now if I can just find an affordable car with these options to get my son next year for his first car!!
My 2016 Platinum now with 29000 miles on the clock, does this too and usually when there is salt crud or a snow covering on the front bumper. The most common situation is when I am nearing a green light intersection with a car in the right hand turn lane and me in the right hand thru lane. I heard the alarm and the braking began! Now I try to be a little slower or move to the left a bit.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 AM

I wish the manual was as good as my wife toyota. It give a lot of good info on how the system works. Explains about how hills can obstruct how it works, if the road turns and other things like that.
I was reading an article where a tesla slammed into a parked fire truck. The article was explaining how the system only detects moving vehicles. If the system detects a stationary object, like road sign, rock, fire truck, its unable with the sonar to determine what the object is and ignores it.

I can see how in even a few years these systems could become much better.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM

Off topic but funny.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. For those too young to remember, this is from the series Taxi, one of the greatest sitcoms ever.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 10-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-22-2018, 07:15 PM

All the extra distance your putting in front of you makes it safer for everyone, and apparently the Insurance companies agree as they reduced the rate on Max's with detection and emergency braking.