8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Not sure about this Maxima....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Not sure about this Maxima....

Very expensive warranty repairs being done only having 10k on the car. Things being replaced.

Front radar
ABS actuator (recall)
Driver side seat

Almost $5k in parts not including labor and they will have the car for a couple days. I absolutely love this car but not to sure on the quality. I also had my steering wheel replaced a few months back having the creak issue. Also had the whole NAV/Audio unit replaced do to a bad update. Drive side seat being replaced was quite the shocker. I was told they cant just swap the motor. The way its made. The WHOLE entire seat needs replacing. That is crazy! Thought I was safe from the recall since my vin came up with nothing. They have to physically check for the serial number and see if it falls in the recall. Takes 20 minutes to inspect. Of course mine was part of the recall. They will be providing me a loaner for a couple days. The dealer has been awesome and great to work with. Just disappointed with these issues. IF this car is kept. No way are we keeping it with out an extended warranty after these things happening.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-26-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Very expensive warranty repairs being done only having 10k on the car. Things being replaced.

Front radar
ABS actuator (recall)
Driver side seat

Almost $5k in parts not including labor and they will have the car for a couple days. I absolutely love this car but not to sure on the quality. I also had my steering wheel replaced a few months back having the creak issue. Also had the whole NAV/Audio unit replaced do to a bad update. Drive side seat being replaced was quite the shocker. I was told they cant just swap the motor. The way its made. The WHOLE entire seat needs replacing. That is crazy! Thought I was safe from the recall since my vin came up with nothing. They have to physically check for the serial number and see if it falls in the recall. Takes 20 minutes to inspect. Of course mine was part of the recall. They will be providing me a loaner for a couple days. The dealer has been awesome and great to work with. Just disappointed with these issues. IF this car is kept. No way are we keeping it with out an extended warranty after these things happening.
You got a lemon, that's all. i've seen the same issue with High end luxury vehicles. If you really love the car, at end of lease i would just turn it in and finance a different one for much less $$$.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Sorry to hear about all the issues. I've been in touch with a dealer that has what I believe to be some pretty aggressive pricing on the warranties. They have a special for the month of Sept - additional $200 off any warranty. I'm looking at $1300 for a 72 month / 75000 warranty w/no deductible.

PM if you're interested in the dealership.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bones787718
You got a lemon, that's all. i've seen the same issue with High end luxury vehicles. If you really love the car, at end of lease i would just turn it in and finance a different one for much less $$$.
Not a lease, its financed. Would have to take a big loss if traded in right now.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Not a lease, its financed. Would have to take a big loss if traded in right now.
No bueno, Never finance a vehicle first, I alway's lease first and if the car is solid and treats me well and i really like her then i will finance the vehicle. just saying.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 PM

No bueno, Never finance a vehicle first, I alway's lease first and if the car is solid and treats me well and i really like her then i will finance the vehicle. just saying.
I would not go far as to say its a lemon yet. But, new car kinks. After all. Its only the second year model. I am sure the 18's are solid by now. Then again I could be in denial and feeding myself a lie.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-26-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 PM

Those types of failures are highly unusual for any Maxima, or any Nissan product really. Sorry to hear you're going through all those problems. I'm with you though if these components are going to fail on your car, let Nissan pay for it. Especially on the Platinum where there are more electronic components that can go bad. I too considered trading my SV. Just couldn't find anything with the same power, style and size. Then you have to worry about sales tax, registration, depreciation, etc. I didn't want to take a gamble on something that had more than double the miles and its own share of headaches.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:10 AM

No bueno, Never finance a Nissan vehicle first, I alway's lease first and if the car is solid and treats me well and i really like her then i will finance the vehicle. just saying.
I fixed it..^^^^..I have had 2 first model year Nissans and they were great. 02 Altima SE, and 89 240SX. 1st model years don't bother me. My MR2 was a first model year, pretty solid. Now my 04 Honda Oddy, (Last model year) Was a nightmare.

Sorry, I miss read the post...Ignore the above words

Last edited by wild willy; 09-27-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 PM

I still don't like the 8th Gens yet. They look almost like a Altima.. The average person won't know the difference... Seems like the interior is not as roomy as the 7th gen. At least with previous Generations of the Max.. they was a different body.. Now they almost look the same.. Can you image paying almost 40 grand for a Sr Midnight Max and somebody, without knowing says.. "Nice Altima' ..lol... No thanks...
Old 10-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
I still don't like the 8th Gens yet. They look almost like a Altima.. The average person won't know the difference... Seems like the interior is not as roomy as the 7th gen. At least with previous Generations of the Max.. they was a different body.. Now they almost look the same.. Can you image paying almost 40 grand for a Sr Midnight Max and somebody, without knowing says.. "Nice Altima' ..lol... No thanks...
No one with any decent amount of sense is going to confuse an Altima with a Maxima, especially once they settle into the confines of the sport-lux Max and then mash the throttle. You get what you pay for with the Nissan line. And, if anyone ever referred to my Max as, "Hey, that's a nice Altima" I would have to ask how they even know what an Altima looks like, after, of course I finished laughing my head off. Can you tell I am very defensive about my Max?
Old 10-02-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
No one with any decent amount of sense is going to confuse an Altima with a Maxima, especially once they settle into the confines of the sport-lux Max and then mash the throttle. You get what you pay for with the Nissan line. And, if anyone ever referred to my Max as, "Hey, that's a nice Altima" I would have to ask how they even know what an Altima looks like, after, of course I finished laughing my head off. Can you tell I am very defensive about my Max?
As I said in my post. The average person would not know.. At a quick glance they do look similar.. Facts are facts..
Old 10-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
As I said in my post. The average person would not know.. At a quick glance they do look similar.. Facts are facts..
Too bad you are not presenting facts. I think you are talking about below average people.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front radar
ABS actuator (recall)
Driver side seat

Sucks to hear this, dont let this experience define your ownership in the longer run. I had a 2007 Nissan Maxima SE, bought it with 32,00 miles, and had it up to 99,000 miles when it was totaled in a car accident. I had ZERO problems with it, I would do oil changes and I bought new tires, that’s it. My 2017 Maxima SR I bought brand new, it now has 16,300 miles and again ZERO problems so far. Cheer up bro
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by gochoa23

Sucks to hear this, dont let this experience define your ownership in the longer run. I had a 2007 Nissan Maxima SE, bought it with 32,00 miles, and had it up to 99,000 miles when it was totaled in a car accident. I had ZERO problems with it, I would do oil changes and I bought new tires, that’s it. My 2017 Maxima SR I bought brand new, it now has 16,300 miles and again ZERO problems so far. Cheer up bro
Not giving up. I still enjoy the car. Open to the upcoming refresh btw. BUT, I would kick myself in the ***** if we got that and then Nissan announces a complete redesign the following year.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-05-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 PM

FattiesGoneWild, following from this thread: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...rumblings.html

R1600Turbo: "Don't expect it (9th generation) before 2022."

Me: "5/25/18: 'The current car's Nissan D platform will likely be supplanted by the Alliance CMF-C/D architecture when the next generation Maxima is released for the 2023 model year. Insiders claim a four-cylinder engine could replace the V6 and there will almost certainly be a hybrid or PHEV option.' https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/a..._id182617.aspx "

lightonthehill: "I think the 2023 model year is probably a very good bet for the release date of the 9th gen Maxima."
Old 10-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Nissan build quality is great, but their third party components aren't top tier but most manufacturers are in the same boat except of course Toyota and very recently Hyundai/Kia.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
While I agree right now there is definitely a notable difference between Altima and Maxima, the 2019 Altima looks much more like the Maxima. Will be a much more obvious problem going forward and Maxima sales are already way down. We'll see how Nissan tries to differentiate the two with the refresh of the Maxima.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by dmc79
While I agree right now there is definitely a notable difference between Altima and Maxima, the 2019 Altima looks much more like the Maxima. Will be a much more obvious problem going forward and Maxima sales are already way down. We'll see how Nissan tries to differentiate the two with the refresh of the Maxima.
The obvious way is to make Maxima better. Add AWD, improve steering feel, give the front passenger seat all the same adjustments as the driver's, add latest features.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 AM

I checked out the 2019 Altima (Platinum trim) last weekend while roaming the dealership lot and also sat in the 2018 Maxima (S to Platinum trims). While the 2019 Altima was a nice improvement over the previous generation, this redesign just got it closer to the Maxima in the interior premium feel IMO. I still think the Maxima interior designed 4 yrs ago was better, in terms of materials and fit-finish, and design (no tacky after-thought looking screen! ugh). I also didn't find the rear seat room that much better in the Altima like I have heard. In the past when I have compared the driving dynamics (latest was a 2016 Maxima to a 2014 Altima)...there was a night and day difference between the two, with the Maxima feeling more sporty in all driving dynamics as expected. It also felt more comfortable than the Altima somehow.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
I checked out the 2019 Altima (Platinum trim) last weekend while roaming the dealership lot and also sat in the 2018 Maxima (S to Platinum trims). While the 2019 Altima was a nice improvement over the previous generation, this redesign just got it closer to the Maxima in the interior premium feel IMO. I still think the Maxima interior designed 4 yrs ago was better, in terms of materials and fit-finish, and design (no tacky after-thought looking screen! ugh). I also didn't find the rear seat room that much better in the Altima like I have heard. In the past when I have compared the driving dynamics (latest was a 2016 Maxima to a 2014 Altima)...there was a night and day difference between the two, with the Maxima feeling more sporty in all driving dynamics as expected. It also felt more comfortable than the Altima somehow.
I also recently test drove a 2019 Altima (Platinum) trim last week. First I think overall Nissan has improved the Altima. But for anyone thinking the 2019 Altima is just as good as a Maxima is dead wrong. The new Altima has some interior material improvements but can't compare in overall material to the Maxima Platinum. Yes there are a few more tech items that the Altima has that the current Maxima doesn't have. Also the most important to me is the engine. 300hp V6 Maxima to 188hp 4cyl isn't even close. I could go on and on. Again nice improvements but is not a Maxima.

Randy
Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 PM

I am none to pleased how much the new Altima looks like the Maxima now. It no longer feels as special to me at least as it did before. I hate the term the Altima being the smaller brother of the Maxima MEH!!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:34 AM

I'm probably being a little too provincial, but have generally considered the Altima owner to be either someone who considers his vehicle to be simply mode of transportation, or someone who just can't quite justify the outlay for a Maxima within his budget. I also understand that statement is a generalization.

By contrast, I consider the Maxima owner to be a person who wants a vehicle that has power, is sporty, has an edgy design, and is not only fun to drive, but fun to be seen in.

Having both the Altima and the Maxima sedans enables Nissan to serve a wide range of automotive markets, needs and desires.

I have never had the slightest problem distinguishing an Altima from a Maxima. But that is probably because I have owned every generation Maxima beginning with the second gen, but have never owned an Altima. I know there are folks who cannot tell these cars apart, but have decided that, even if they don't know the difference, I certainly do, and know within my heart that the Maxima is a very special vehicle, while the Altima is Nissan's volume seller for the masses.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I'm probably being a little too provincial, but have generally considered the Altima owner to be either someone who considers his vehicle to be simply mode of transportation, or someone who just can't quite justify the outlay for a Maxima within his budget. I also understand that statement is a generalization.
In late 2001 I bought the 2002 Altima SE over the Maxima for a couple reasons. The Maxima would have been cheaper wit the rebates they had at the time. Let me list them for you.

1. Lighter and Faster (At that time, it was the fastest FWD sedan ever tested.)
2. Fresh new look, great lines and the incredible VQ.
3. More interior room, especially back seat.
4. Bigger trunk.
The only compromise was the interior materials, Max was much better, and still is to this day.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:55 PM

I am none to pleased how much the new Altima looks like the Maxima now. It no longer feels as special to me at least as it did before. I hate the term the Altima being the smaller brother of the Maxima MEH!!!!
All Nissans have a common "design language", right on down to be cheapest model. There are some similarities for sure, but I still think they are quite easy to pick apart. Well have to see if the 2019 gets that same grill that the Altima has. I may be in the minority, but I hope that don't copy the Altima grill (which looks too "fat" to me), but rather enhance it in some other way.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet

All Nissans have a common "design language", right on down to be cheapest model. There are some similarities for sure, but I still think they are quite easy to pick apart. Well have to see if the 2019 gets that same grill that the Altima has. I may be in the minority, but I hope that don't copy the Altima grill (which looks too "fat" to me), but rather enhance it in some other way.

The new Altima with that front grill.... Where is my barf bag?!?!? It is hideous border line Toyota Avalon hideous looking. I pray Nissan does not bring over that nasty design language to the Maxima. I dig the current Maxima front grill.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 AM

The new Altima with that front grill.... I pray Nissan does not bring over that nasty design.
I'd bet my house it's coming.........
Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 AM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...o-show-teaser/
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 PM

The new Altima with that front grill.... Where is my barf bag?!?!? It is hideous border line Toyota Avalon hideous looking. I pray Nissan does not bring over that nasty design language to the Maxima. I dig the current Maxima front grill.
Let's be real here, the Avalon is FAR worse.