8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Stillen Cold Air Intake and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 PM

Stillen Cold Air Intake and Exhaust

Hey Guys,

I recently got the Stillen Cold Air Intake for my 2016 Nissan Maxima and I saw online that it will get a performance boost of 11ish hp and also save gas as well. I was just wondering how much gas would I save and if there would be significant savings. I also REALLY LOVE the sound. I'm also looking to get the Stillen Exhaust which would increase air flow. I was also wondering if adding in the exhaust would also increase horsepower and help me save even more gas. What would the differences be? Some info would be great.

Thanks!
Rich

Stillen Cold Air Intake:
https://www.stillen.com/performance/...an-maxima.html

Still Exhaust:
https://www.stillen.com/stillen-2016...an-maxima.html
Old 08-25-2017, 08:41 AM

More HPs = Less MPG, otherwise simply illogical...

And yes, a less restrictive "Y" pipe/cat back increase the HPs delivered by the engine and a good exhaust sound tone....
Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Let's not forget, best fuel mileage occurs under low throttle opening. Your stock air cleaner assembly lets more than enough air in to satisfy the needs of your engine.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM

But doesn't more airflow to the engine help the engine burn less fuel because of the extra airflow if I was to drive the same way before and after the mods?

For example: If I would drive 60mph for both A and B and completely the same as how I normally do.

A
-stock intake
-stock exhaust

B
-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Stillen Axle Back Exhaust

Would B increase MPG or not?

Last edited by rablaze93; 08-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by rablaze93
But doesn't more airflow to the engine help the engine burn less fuel because of the extra airflow if I was to drive the same way before and after the mods?

For example: If I would drive 60mph for both A and B and completely the same as how I normally do.

A
-stock intake
-stock exhaust

B
-Stillen Cold Air Intake
-Stillen Axle Back Exhaust

Would B increase MPG or not?

More air detected by the MAF sensor will increase the fuel injected to the combustion chambers in order to mantain de A/F ratio constant.

Regarding the exhaust, the more and fast gas expeled by the engine, the more HPs generate......until a specific point named back pressure......and it will not affect the A/F ratio and the MPG......
Old 08-25-2017, 09:06 PM

Does anyone have any good information on how much extra HP can be conjured up from the engine before it puts too much pressure on the tranny? I know CVTs can't handle too much torque, but since they are already paring it with a 300 hp engine it must be reasonably tough?

on a side note, I wonder if these newer cars benefit much from these mods, or do the computers kick and and bring things back to the same predefined driving dynamics that were programmed at the factory. I've yet to see anyone post any real before and after numbers to be convinced that it is worth it
Old 08-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Does anyone have any good information on how much extra HP can be conjured up from the engine before it puts too much pressure on the tranny? I know CVTs can't handle too much torque, but since they are already paring it with a 300 hp engine it must be reasonably tough?

on a side note, I wonder if these newer cars benefit much from these mods, or do the computers kick and and bring things back to the same predefined driving dynamics that were programmed at the factory. I've yet to see anyone post any real before and after numbers to be convinced that it is worth it
I read that the ECM relearn the driver´s habits.....will be???

My former 2010 Altima SR 3.5 with 275 HPs stock, with Takeda short air intake+ Racinglineperformance Y pipe + Nismo cat back gained 30 HPs showed in the dynamometer (it was not a flawless procedure because the CVT).....I gave the dyno sheet to the new owner.....

Hard to find the numbers before and after the upgrades installed.......

Last edited by dochidalgo; 08-26-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Ahhhh okay. Also I was wondering how much it would cost to get my new stillen exhaust installed? What would the price range be around?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The intake wont gain you anything. It will cause you to loose power. It will draw hot air from the engine compartment and likely will hurt your gas mileage.

Nissan put a lot of work into getting this revised VQ to run cooler, you are best off with a drop in filter, or waiting for an actual cold air intake.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roddy13
The intake wont gain you anything. It will cause you to loose power. It will draw hot air from the engine compartment and likely will hurt your gas mileage.

Nissan put a lot of work into getting this revised VQ to run cooler, you are best off with a drop in filter, or waiting for an actual cold air intake.
interesting, that's unfortunate. I just bought a used stillen intake off ebay for 80$ , claims to have been used for 5 months before the car was sold. Should I not even bother installing it then? If not how do I clean filter or should I just replace it with a new one? Where do I get them? Sorry for these stupid questions , Ive never changed an intake before.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 PM

I have a stillen cold air Intake installed with the dry filter that does not need maintainence like the oil cleaning. So far so good. Don't see any gain or lost power in hp, or gas consumption. But sound is amazing, when I rev or speed up, I love the growl. It's for my own ears. If you bought it, try it easy to install. If you don't like always can go back to stock.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by blazinhassan
I have a stillen cold air Intake installed with the dry filter that does not need maintainence like the oil cleaning. So far so good. Don't see any gain or lost power in hp, or gas consumption. But sound is amazing, when I rev or speed up, I love the growl. It's for my own ears. If you bought it, try it easy to install. If you don't like always can go back to stock.
nice, will try it when it comes tomorrow. Also ordered the Stillen axelback exhaust today since it’s on sale... going to see how I like the sound before I decide if I want to remove the resonators ...
Old 11-24-2017, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by punkfs
nice, will try it when it comes tomorrow. Also ordered the Stillen axelback exhaust today since itÂ’s on sale... going to see how I like the sound before I decide if I want to remove the resonators ...
I did the same thing. Can not wait to install the exhaust. Stillen rep says resignator should remain in the car. They found best performance with their axle back system then the y pipe that is currently on the market. I'll share pics when work is complete
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by WadCutter106
I did the same thing. Can not wait to install the exhaust. Stillen rep says resignator should remain in the car. They found best performance with their axle back system then the y pipe that is currently on the market. I'll share pics when work is complete
Did you get the Y pipe too?

Too bad I live in hawaii, shipping the exhaust here they charged me 245$... hope its worth it

Last edited by punkfs; 11-24-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Did you get the Y pipe too?

Too bad I live in hawaii, shipping the exhaust here they charged me 245$... hope its worth it
damn man that shipping cost is soooooo much. its almost the same price as a intake.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rablaze93
damn man that shipping cost is soooooo much. its almost the same price as a intake.
Yeah its unfortunate.. kind of strange, oh well. I wanted to order the splitter/diffuser but the shipping was 192$ so I never did. Some guy on ebay that was reselling the splitter and diffuser new quoted me 80$ shipping for both so Im not sure whats the difference.

Price to ship the intake from them was 54$, got it off ebay shipped fedex for 20$. Maybe the cost is in the packaging or something? hmm

If the products are good I don't mind paying since i dont really have a choice. Ive never seen anyone with the 8th gen max here with stillen parts though

Last edited by punkfs; 11-24-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:39 PM

interesting, that's unfortunate. I just bought a used stillen intake off ebay for 80$ , claims to have been used for 5 months before the car was sold. Should I not even bother installing it then? If not how do I clean filter or should I just replace it with a new one? Where do I get them? Sorry for these stupid questions , Ive never changed an intake before.

Try it out. See how you like it.

You could sell it later and get a K&N drop in, or there is a guy on instagram he makes custom long tube cold air intakes for the 8th Gens...

CGR Intakes... Cant_get_Ryte <---look him up on instagram. you could DM him with an order. I've seen some reviews on his intakes and apparently they are pretty lit compared to this junk Stillen is selling. and other Warm Air Intakes.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Yeah its unfortunate.. kind of strange, oh well. I wanted to order the splitter/diffuser but the shipping was 192$ so I never did. Some guy on ebay that was reselling the splitter and diffuser new quoted me 80$ shipping for both so Im not sure whats the difference.

Price to ship the intake from them was 54$, got it off ebay shipped fedex for 20$. Maybe the cost is in the packaging or something? hmm

If the products are good I don't mind paying since i dont really have a choice. Ive never seen anyone with the 8th gen max here with stillen parts though
What is the difference. I thought stillen intakes where good that is why I purchased one. I don't have Instagram is there another way to reach him?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WadCutter106
What is the difference. I thought stillen intakes where good that is why I purchased one. I don't have Instagram is there another way to reach him?
Did you install the stillen intake your self? It looks pretty simple, I want to try do it tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Did you install the stillen intake your self? It looks pretty simple, I want to try do it tomorrow.
I ordered the part on wednesday. Should be here mid week next week. My car is still at the performance shop getting some paint work done. I also ordered the axle back exhaust. But now am regretting it. I found motordyne makes a full kit. Is it better then what stillen sells. Anyone know what the power gain difference is
Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 PM

hah I knew that 80$ stillen intake was too good to be true lol, had everything except some plastic fitting for the breather tube.. hopefully stillen will sell me one and not make me buy a whole new intake
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 PM

wanna save gas? stop driving so much
Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM

I installed the Stillen intake and the Stillen axle back exhaust. I guarantee it adds more power, but more than that the sound of the two together is worth it to me. I'm one of those that automatically hits the sport mode button when I get in the car. I drive it like I stole it and could not even tell you what my gas mileage is. I didn't get this car to worry about gas mileage. I got it to drive and use all 300+ hp. Both the intake and the exhaust are easy to install, even by a novice. Hope this helps...
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by fiddyk
I installed the Stillen intake and the Stillen axle back exhaust. I guarantee it adds more power, but more than that the sound of the two together is worth it to me. I'm one of those that automatically hits the sport mode button when I get in the car. I drive it like I stole it and could not even tell you what my gas mileage is. I didn't get this car to worry about gas mileage. I got it to drive and use all 300+ hp. Both the intake and the exhaust are easy to install, even by a novice. Hope this helps...
im installing both tomorrow . Was the sound difference pretty noticeable ? You kept your resonator in right ? Hard to tell the difference in videos seems really minor . Most ones I’ve seen also have a resonator delete but I don’t want to do that

Last edited by punkfs; 11-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Resonator I kept. As for sound, definitely a deeper rumble, but not obnoxious. The real sound is the intake and exhaust together on full bore throttle. If I go thru a tunnel or under a long overpass, I roll the windows down a little and get on it every time. It's a beautiful sound. You'll love the combination together.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Resonator I kept. As for sound, definitely a deeper rumble, but not obnoxious. The real sound is the intake and exhaust together on full bore throttle. If I go thru a tunnel or under a long overpass, I roll the windows down a little and get on it every time. It's a beautiful sound. You'll love the combination together.
hey guys I noticed a lose hose under where the intake was can someone tell me if this was supposed to be connected if so, where? I can’t seem to figure out what it is
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM

hey guys I noticed a lose hose under where the intake was can someone tell me if this was supposed to be connected if so, where? I can’t seem to figure out what it is
okay someone is saying it’s that sound generator. Think that’s on the higher trims I have a base I think I’m good. If anyone knows otherwise let me know.. thanks! Do I just lleave it as is?

Last edited by punkfs; 11-29-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM

That hose is a CVT vent.....you could left that way attached somewhere with a wire ties or insert a breather filter
Old 11-29-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
That hose is a CVT vent.....you could left that way attached somewhere with a wire ties or insert a breather filter
thanks man! im glad im doing this stuff myself so i can learn more about this car. Intake sounds amazing, going to do the exhaust tomorrow
Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 PM

just got both done, sounds amazing completely different car. I love it. I’m super glad I didn’t remove the resonator it would probably be obnoxious. I love the deep sound especially under throttle. Super happy. Videos online don’t do the combination justice . Completely different in person
Old 11-30-2017, 01:37 PM

and both were pretty easy to do! glad you're happy. I loved driving this car every day before, but now I enjoy it even more. It's not too "rice burner" and just the right amount of sound and ooooph together.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM

and both were pretty easy to do! glad you're happy. I loved driving this car every day before, but now I enjoy it even more. It's not too "rice burner" and just the right amount of sound and ooooph together.

For some reason the drivers side tip sticks out a tiny bit more than the passengers side, is there anything i can do to fix that?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:10 PM

I would swear that's the way mine is as well. I thought I was just being ****, but I couldn't get over it. So, I readjusted the mounting bolts, while holding/pulling the exhaust in towards the front on one side, and did the opposite with the other side.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM

I would swear that's the way mine is as well. I thought I was just being ****, but I couldn't get over it. So, I readjusted the mounting bolts, while holding/pulling the exhaust in towards the front on one side, and did the opposite with the other side.
Defintely sticks out more on one side slightly, did that actually fix it?
Old 11-30-2017, 02:24 PM

not to the mm, but much better.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:26 PM

not to the mm, but much better.
Okay ill try it or just live with it, friends shop said they can cut the tip and shave some off and reweld it but im sure that voids the warranty. I just wish it was perfect
Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 PM

you know how easy it is to get the bolts. just loosen them, pull or push it in or out and by the time you do each side, it will even out enough.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:29 PM

you know how easy it is to get the bolts. just loosen them, pull or push it in or out and by the time you do each side, it will even out enough.
Will do, thanks man.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM

Again, mine was off a bit, and after doing what I indicated above, this is the final result. Still slightly off, but not really noticeable. Pic is from today after close to a thousand miles after install...
Attached Thumbnails Stillen Cold Air Intake and Exhaust-maxexhaustcompare.jpg  
Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 PM

put the stillen rear diffuser, and that might become flushed.
the oem exhaust with the diffuser looks like it is “sunk-in”
so i think with their axle-back, it will be flushed to the diffuser hole.

maybe??

Quick Reply: Stillen Cold Air Intake and Exhaust