8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Winter tyres SL - 225/55R17?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Winter tyres SL - 225/55R17?

Some sites are suggesting I can downsize to a 225/55R17 for a winter tyre. Is anyone running this size or is it really not possible or a good idea?

One site also suggested 225/50R18 - would this be a better choice than the standard SL size?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm running 225/55/17 for winter and they are the right size
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tirerack.com
Old 09-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel
I'm running 225/55/17 for winter and they are the right size

Great, I wasn't sure if they would fit over the brakes.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 PM

This is the size I plan on running as well. When I plug this size into the tire size calculator, its very close to the stock tire and wheel size as well.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Might not help at all, but I have the SR midnight with 19 inch tires and went with 245/45/R18 for my winters. I believe those are the same size as on the SL? I ended up going down 1 size, I'd find the closest match to your existing going down 1 rim size. I probably could have gone down to 17's myself....
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 PM

245/45/R18 is standard on my SL.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
Some sites are suggesting I can downsize to a 225/55R17 for a winter tyre. Is anyone running this size or is it really not possible or a good idea?

One site also suggested 225/50R18 - would this be a better choice than the standard SL size?

Thanks.

Not a good idea. The Max has too much power for a thin tire like a 225. Many vehicles like a V6 Camry or Accord you can get away with a thinner tire. But with a thinner tire and smaller rim the width and offset will not be 8 inches and 50mm.

What width rim are you putting the 225s on? What's the offset?

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

And please don't think about putting steelies on.

Any Maxima rim from my 2008 on should fit perfectly.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM

I run the stock 245/45/18 winter tires on my Maxima without any problems in snowy Canada
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM

Thanks 240tomax.

Canadian Tire told me to get 215/60R17 (1.9% diff) - I have no idea if they will fit over the calipers.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was looking at 225/55R17 winter tires as well for my 2017. PMC tires says the size is good and they have a steelie with 67.1 bore, 42 offset that they say is fine (X44755).

When I double check with the dealer, they say that they stopped offering any 17" on the Maxima because they had issues with rubbing when the wheel was turned all the way, and some fender liners were wearing out.

Any feedback from the guys running this size now? Anyone see any issues with the rim since the Maxima factory wheel is 66.1 bore 50 offset?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Denfan, there is too much misinformation around. If the circumference/diameter of the new tire is the same as the original, and the offset is appropriate, then it is impossible for the new, thinner tire to rub either inside the wheel well or any fenders.

In your case, if you are going from either 245/45R18 or 245/40R19 (from 8-8.5" wide and offset for both sizes are +50mm) to a steelie that is 7-7.5" wide with an ET (offset) of 42-45mm with a 225/55R17 tire, it will be impossible to rub anything in the wheel wells. The diameter of all three sizes are identical and the thinner tire with this offset only moves your tire further away from the inside wheel well.

Two concerns though. First:Would the 17" wheel be large enough to clear the calipers of the Maxima? The answer is yes. the Infiniti Q50 base has 225/55R17 tires as standard and the brakes, front and back are exactly the same size as all versions of the Maxima brakes. I know, because I have tried my 7.5 inch wide, ET45, 17" alloy rims and they work and clear everything (they're just not attached to any tires yet).

Second: In your case, the hub size of your steelies are 67.1 and the original hub size is 66.1. You may require hub spacers.

Here is a very useful link: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Finally, going minus 1 or minus 2 with winter tires is a good idea for better traction in snow. In this case, you are going minus 2 and your contact patch, ie: the actual contact of the tire tread to the road, is about the same area in square inches, except the contact patch will be narrower in width and longer front to back.

I live in Canada and have been driving for many years. I have installed over twenty five sets of winter wheels on my cars over that period. I ALWAYS minus size at least 1 size but never more than 2 sizes as I don't want to change the driving dynamics of my car too much. Since I usually install winter alloy rims on my cars, going minus 1 or 2 is much cheaper on the purchase of the wheels and tires.

Just my two cents Canadian (or 1.6 cents USD)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by skilly
Denfan, there is too much misinformation around. If the circumference/diameter of the new tire is the same as the original, and the offset is appropriate, then it is impossible for the new, thinner tire to rub either inside the wheel well or any fenders.

In your case, if you are going from either 245/45R18 or 245/40R19 (from 8-8.5" wide and offset for both sizes are +50mm) to a steelie that is 7-7.5" wide with an ET (offset) of 42-45mm with a 225/55R17 tire, it will be impossible to rub anything in the wheel wells. The diameter of all three sizes are identical and the thinner tire with this offset only moves your tire further away from the inside wheel well.

Two concerns though. First:Would the 17" wheel be large enough to clear the calipers of the Maxima? The answer is yes. the Infiniti Q50 base has 225/55R17 tires as standard and the brakes, front and back are exactly the same size as all versions of the Maxima brakes. I know, because I have tried my 7.5 inch wide, ET45, 17" alloy rims and they work and clear everything (they're just not attached to any tires yet).

Second: In your case, the hub size of your steelies are 67.1 and the original hub size is 66.1. You may require hub spacers.

Here is a very useful link: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Finally, going minus 1 or minus 2 with winter tires is a good idea for better traction in snow. In this case, you are going minus 2 and your contact patch, ie: the actual contact of the tire tread to the road, is about the same area in square inches, except the contact patch will be narrower in width and longer front to back.

I live in Canada and have been driving for many years. I have installed over twenty five sets of winter wheels on my cars over that period. I ALWAYS minus size at least 1 size but never more than 2 sizes as I don't want to change the driving dynamics of my car too much. Since I usually install winter alloy rims on my cars, going minus 1 or 2 is much cheaper on the purchase of the wheels and tires.

Just my two cents Canadian (or 1.6 cents USD)

skilly: Thanks so much for taking the time to give all this info. I was reasonably confident it would be fine based on my limited knowledge but the dealer feedback left me wondering. It's great to see you confirming what I was hoping would be the case. Many more options and much better pricing in winters going from 18" to 17". Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Thanks skilly. So this is confirmation that 225/55R17 will fit for winter? Great! I've no idea what cheap rims to get or anything related to spacing. But this is a good start.

Oh and what make/model of winters do you normally prefer?

Cheers.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Stodge:

I'm not sure what cheap steelies are available, but I think Canadian Tire and Costco sell them. If you are looking at spending a few more dollars, I recommend checking out some of the alloy wheels out there, but keep in mind, it might be a good idea to go with a European or Canadian manufacturer as they tend to make winter specific rims that have longer warranties, such as 3 years on the finish. Typical alloy wheels come with 1 year finish warranty.

You will need to buy 5 x 114.3 mm bolt pattern, ET (offset) of +42-50 and preferably a 7-7.5" wide wheel with a 66.1 mm center hub. Fast wheels Canada are a Quebec manufacturer and I purchased wheels from them that are a direct fit without the need to purchase any hub centering rings as they have a number of hub sizes available. FYI, I purchased the wheels pictured. They are FAST Innovation 7.5" alloy wheels with a 3 year finish warranty and a direct fit to the Maxima hub (66.1 mm, no hub centering ring). I picked a +45 mm ET, which allows the wheel to fit the maxima perfectly. They are also a nice gunmetal colour and my SR is gunmetal!

I have been a Bridgestone guy in the past, but all of their winter tires wear very quickly (however, they are great, gripping winter tires). So I went with Michelin and they don't seem to wear quickly at all and even have a wear warranty, but if you keep winter tires for over 5 years they tend to become like hockey pucks and seem to lose grip. In the last year and a half, I have gravitated towards Continental tires and I love them. They seem to grip like Bridgestones and wear like Michelins, so far. If you want a tire in the regular winter category that competes with Michelin Xi3s and Bridgestone WS80s, go with the Continental WinterContact Si. On sale this week at Canadian Tire for an excellent 20% off. If you want higher performance, I'd suggest the Continental TS850, but these are higher performance winter tires and will cost about $75-90 more per tire. Most online reviews at Tire rack and apa.ca, as well as Car & Driver love the Continental Si winter tires. I was also looking at Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2 winter tires but they aren't much better than the Continental Si for about $60 more per tire.

A 225/55R17 Continental WinterContact Si runs about $156 CDN per tire this week at Cdn Tire, which is very good. I am looking at getting mine in November from a Toronto store, Simply Tire. They have great prices and after October 15, there will be a $65 mail in rebate on top of the low prices.

Lots of info here, but I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of it useful.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Winter tyres SL - 225/55R17?-fast-innovation-wheel.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 06:24 AM

Thanks skilly, that's awesome stuff. Much appreciated. You lost me on the bolt pattern info but I'll copy/paste your post somewhere safe for reference.

I was looking at the Contintenals - I've had WS60s and X-Ice in the past but I want to try something else. Prices for the 17s are much more appealing than the 18s!

Cheers
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 AM

Part of my local Nissan dealer's reply:

"If you would like tyre pressure sensors for your winter rims they are $100 each plus tax"

$100 each?? Are they necessary?
Old 09-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Stodge,

No need to have them for your winter set but it's more of a "nice to have". I personally don't like any caution or alert light showing on a new car so I purchased the exact same sensors that are in our Maximas for a lot less than my local Nissan dealer was asking for from Rockauto. Price per brand new sensor is $43.50 CDN and shipping to Canada is very cheap. No duties at the border. I buy many parts from them. I just replaced my old Toyota Highlander shift cable for 1/8 (!) the cost of what Toyota Canada was asking for and it was the EXACT same part!

You want the ones called VDO SE55556. Made by Continental.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Continentals ordered. Thankfully my nissan dealer price matched Canadian Tire, so CAN$156 each for the 17s.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So the consensus is All Season tire with front wheel drive is going to have problems in the snow?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by WHealy
So the consensus is All Season tire with front wheel drive is going to have problems in the snow?
Depends where you live, but yes for anywhere with bad winters.