8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Auto climate control heating not working properly it seems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Auto climate control heating not working properly it seems?

First time I had to use heat in our new car. If I turn the auto cooling all the way down to 60f. The fan will kick in to the highest setting etc. Now if I turn the heat all the way up to 89/90f in auto mode. The fan will not go past 2 bars and stays like that. It will not blast heat like using cool auto at 60f etc. Something wrong with the heater auto climate? Seems so? Fans should be blasting on 89/90f auto heat.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:37 PM

If you have it on auto, it stays at around 2 bars for a while when you start the car, then goes up after a couple minutes of driving.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by slava
If you have it on auto, it stays at around 2 bars for a while when you start the car, then goes up after a couple minutes of driving.
Depending on the ambient temperature
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same here if its first thing in the am, auto heat stays on 2 bars then fires up as i drive and the engine warms up. Usually by the time i hit the end of my street, about a half mile
Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 AM

In auto mode while driving this thing should be heating me out at 89/90? Even when its cold and I start the car up leaving it in auto mode? I notice the fan display wont even kick up 1 notch until I start driving. The heater just seems to not be working right? Or it is and its the worst heater ever in a car I have had. The AC is incredible though. Best AC ever in any car I have had. Getting back to the heater. When I had it in auto mode at 90. Then manually increased the fan. The air felt cool and **** warm. You would think heat would be blazing at 89/90.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
In auto mode while driving this thing should be heating me out at 89/90? Even when its cold and I start the car up leaving it in auto mode? I notice the fan display wont even kick up 1 notch until I start driving. The heater just seems to not be working right? Or it is and its the worst heater ever in a car I have had. The AC is incredible though. Best AC ever in any car I have had. Getting back to the heater. When I had it in auto mode at 90. Then manually increased the fan. The air felt cool and **** warm. You would think heat would be blazing at 89/90.
Must be something wrong with mine, as my AC is very average.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 PM

I must ask again. Does this thing heat you guys out if you turn it up to 89/90 it auto mode? Something just does not seem right with this heater. It seems to get **** warm only never what you call hot. I also noticed in auto mode with heat it points at the feet only. At least on the little screen when you adjust modes is what I mean. The AC is a complete rock star when its hot. Coldest AC I have ever had in a car. But the heater is horrific!

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 11-08-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 AM

It Is Doing What It's Supposed to

In automatice mode for heat the engine is cold so the fan will be at one notch. Because the engine is cold blowing cold air is useless and uncomfortable. As the engine warms up the fan speed will increase depending on the ambient temperature. The colder it is the strong the fan will blow.

As far as air directional control, in heat mode it will, and should, blow air on the feet. Every car I had with automatic controls does this. If the passenger compartment warms up enough it will switch to both feet and face.

Sounds like it's performing as engineered for the best comfort.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by scutmud
In automatice mode for heat the engine is cold so the fan will be at one notch. Because the engine is cold blowing cold air is useless and uncomfortable. As the engine warms up the fan speed will increase depending on the ambient temperature. The colder it is the strong the fan will blow.

As far as air directional control, in heat mode it will, and should, blow air on the feet. Every car I had with automatic controls does this. If the passenger compartment warms up enough it will switch to both feet and face.

This is the correct explanation.

As your car warms up so does the heater. Cars don't have furnaces. Therefore, it is different with A/C because there is actually an air conditioner cooling the air.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Makes sense. Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by scutmud

Spot on. Until the engine warms up, there is no heat available to warm the car, and should the fan come on and crank up before the engine is warm, only cold, uncomfortable air would be available for the fan to blow. As the engine warms up and hot air becomes available, the fan will deliver it to the passenger compartment. This has been the way car heaters have worked for years.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
First time I had to use heat in our new car. If I turn the auto cooling all the way down to 60f. The fan will kick in to the highest setting etc. Now if I turn the heat all the way up to 89/90f in auto mode. The fan will not go past 2 bars and stays like that. It will not blast heat like using cool auto at 60f etc. Something wrong with the heater auto climate? Seems so? Fans should be blasting on 89/90f auto heat.
It wont blow hard until it can blow hot air. It blows slow because it does not want to blow clod air on you. When it heats up the fan will go faster