8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2018 Maxima announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree about the Accord. I was dead set on the Max until i pulled up next to a new Accord the other day.

Same for the Camry. the 18 Camrys are sweet!

Im going to drive all 3 along with a Q50
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by lonestareagle
I agree about the Accord. I was dead set on the Max until i pulled up next to a new Accord the other day.

You liked the new Accord? I think its ugly as all hell when I seen one on the road a few days ago. I dig the Camry BUT the deal breaker for me is that front end. The grilles are massive and look nasty. The interior while pretty good the Maxima is still better as well imo. If you go for the Accord. I would wait for the 2.0t has not been released yet. Its coming quick though in November. The V6 is exceptionally strong in the last gen. Honda has some how made the 2.0t even quicker then that. Pretty amazing imo. The only thing is the turbo on it. Just another thing to replace and its not a matter of if. Its when. I would rather have a strong V6 naturally aspirated engine then a 4 banger with a turbo.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-30-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by lonestareagle

Ugh Camry , say it ain't so! I'll repeat what I said elsewhere. If your just looking for a good value on a dependable ride and don't care much about style and character, then the Camrys a great deal. But don't think that style is gonna hold up when you start seeing em on the road every other car. I've already seen several of them and I'm already quite bored with them.

That said, I would like to see the Max get that red interior, that was hot
Old 10-30-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jlkoh102812
https://www.nissanusa.com/cars/maxima

Nissan updated their website for the 2018 Nissan Maxima.
I received a phone call from a young lady at my dealership tonight. She said they have a great selection of 2018 Maximas available, and, as a loyal Maxima customer, would I like to drop by so 'we' could try out the 2018s? She said they are giving good discounts and good interest rates on the 2018s to loyal Maxima owners. I thanked her, but declined. I always buy only the first model year of each generation, and always pay cash. I also always submit my very reasonable offer for a specific vehicle sitting on their lot, and they either accept or reject my offer. I do not get into an extended negotiations.

But I thought it was interesting that they already have a great selection of 2018 Maximas on their lot. I might drop by Sunday morning (before dealership opens) and browse, just out of curiosity.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But I thought it was interesting that they already have a great selection of 2018 Maximas on their lot.
I did say they were on the way to dealers.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM

Do you think it will be possible to update software to get android auto on 2017 models? Or it’s not just a software. I’m thinking to switch to Android this year because I got tired of iOS. And it would be nice to have Waze and Gmaps on the main screen. And BTW apple car play doesn’t even work since latest iOS update and seems like a big Nissan fault because nobody knows how to fix it. Do you think Apple Car play as standard feature which Nissan sells you the car with and it malfunctions enough to consider it as an faulty, defective product?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Do you think it will be possible to update software to get android auto on 2017 models? Or it’s not just a software. I’m thinking to switch to Android this year because I got tired of iOS. And it would be nice to have Waze and Gmaps on the main screen. And BTW apple car play doesn’t even work since latest iOS update and seems like a big Nissan fault because nobody knows how to fix it. Do you think Apple Car play as standard feature which Nissan sells you the car with and it malfunctions enough to consider it as an faulty, defective product?
Based on previous experience, I would say that Nissan would absolutely not provide latest features to earlier models, even if they are just a simple firmware upgrade.
Nissan has done a **** pour job in technology department so far. I am also on Honda forums and I can see how Honda is proactively fixing issues and providing user friendly updates.
I don't think Apple Car play will qualify for lemon law, but if you get a lawyer involved, I bet they maybe able to get it done.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
Based on previous experience, I would say that Nissan would absolutely not provide latest features to earlier models, even if they are just a simple firmware upgrade.
Nissan has done a **** pour job in technology department so far. I am also on Honda forums and I can see how Honda is proactively fixing issues and providing user friendly updates.
I don't think Apple Car play will qualify for lemon law, but if you get a lawyer involved, I bet they maybe able to get it done.
Yes, I thought the same about lawyer. Well maybe I should make a call to Nissan. Write some names so that my lawyer can make a direct contact with one of those who’s actually responsible for it.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Ppffft... I guess my legal actions flew away. Just updated to iOS 11.1 and apple car play starts immediately.

Ohh,well.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Ppffft... I guess my legal actions flew away. Just updated to iOS 11.1 and apple car play starts immediately.

Ohh,well.
Thats the best case scenario. Nissan yahoos would be troubleshooting it until cows come home.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was apples software update that broke the CarPlay connection not Nissan's. The new software 11.1 was just released and fixes the issue. To Upgrade to android Auto you would have to get a new headunit.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by slava
I'm glad Nissan is listening to criticism and improving the Maxima to keep it competitive. The Android Auto was obvious and expected, but the passenger seat height is a really nice touch (even though Nissan really should have made it standard). Alas, the Maxima has just lost its Consumer Reports recommendation after being downgraded to below average reliability.
I used to be a diehard Consumer Reports fan, been a subscriber for at least 20 years. But in all those years never once was I asked to complete a survey. I owned all the vehicles they said were unreliable. Including Corvettes since 2001 and several Ford 4x4 trucks. Never had one issue with any of them.
Combine these facts and I now take what CR reports with a raised eyebrow.

Last edited by Thunderjet; 11-11-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Nissan should give existing 8th gen owners a free passenger seat upgrade.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
Agreed
Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
Totally agree with that but I bet it will never happen.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:50 PM

I would be happy if they just made the passenger seat upgrade an aftermarket dealer installed option available at a reasonable price.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:43 AM

If the mounts haven't fundamentally changed I can't see why they can't just order the part and install it. That might be easier on the base models without the seat cooling and stuff like that. I'm sure it would be Expensive, but cheaper than buying a new car again. We'all probably go with the $10 seat cushion route
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM

I would be happy if they just made the passenger seat upgrade an aftermarket dealer installed option available at a reasonable price.
I like the sound of this..
Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 PM

Aha! The 2018 Maxima has added black accents to the front to better accent the Nissan 'V' whoosh. AND added a power riser to the front passenger seat! In a Nissan Corporate survey I just completed this past Sunday, I expressed the wide sentiment of 8th gen Maxima owners that we needed to have a way of adjusting the height of the front passenger seat. and here, just days later, I find Nissan has already taken care of that with the 2018 Maxima!

Other that those two changes, and dropping the storm blue color and changing the shade of red, most changes were in the audio/entertainment/communication area. This is pretty much what most here were expecting. Maybe a little more than I expected. The new height adjustment of the front passenger seat is the 'biggie' for me.
Hi, could you explain it more about this change ( Maxima has added black accents to the front to better accent the Nissan 'V') I don’t get that? Maybe it’s not visible on the black car
Old 11-25-2017, 07:26 PM

Hi, could you explain it more about this change ( Maxima has added black accents to the front to better accent the Nissan 'V') I don’t get that? Maybe it’s not visible on the black car
I am a photographer so I am somewhat trained to see subtle differences among seemingly identical photos. I've just spent a bit of time reviewing 2018 Nissan Maxima front end photos, comparing them to 2017 front end photos and danged if I can see any difference regarding black accents on the front. When the 18's arrive here I'll have to drive my '17 to the lot and compare.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 AM

I didn't even know the car didn't have a height adjustment on the passenger seat until reading this, of course I rarely have a passenger as we drive my wife's Pathfinder when doing family things.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I am a photographer so I am somewhat trained to see subtle differences among seemingly identical photos. I've just spent a bit of time reviewing 2018 Nissan Maxima front end photos, comparing them to 2017 front end photos and danged if I can see any difference regarding black accents on the front. When the 18's arrive here I'll have to drive my '17 to the lot and compare.
I got what they meant by it.

The grill boomerang is now blacked out. Got 2018 max pictures from a dealership. I don’t know why but a few of my friends suggested to paint it when I got the car. To be fair now it looks like Lexus with that big open mouth. Don’t you think so?

Last edited by NisCal17; 11-26-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 PM

I got what they meant by it.

The grill boomerang is now blacked out. Got 2018 max pictures from a dealership. I don’t know why but a few of my friends suggested to paint it when I got the car. To be fair now it looks like Lexus with that big open mouth. Don’t you think so?
Is that "black chrome" then?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Is that "black chrome" then?

That was my first thought
Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Aha! The 2018 Maxima has added black accents to the front to better accent the Nissan 'V' whoosh. AND added a power riser to the front passenger seat! In a Nissan Corporate survey I just completed this past Sunday, I expressed the wide sentiment of 8th gen Maxima owners that we needed to have a way of adjusting the height of the front passenger seat. and here, just days later, I find Nissan has already taken care of that with the 2018 Maxima!

Other that those two changes, and dropping the storm blue color and changing the shade of red, most changes were in the audio/entertainment/communication area. This is pretty much what most here were expecting. Maybe a little more than I expected. The new height adjustment of the front passenger seat is the 'biggie' for me.
I much would have rather the black accent on the front V as well...my car is all blk every and I honestly don't like the chrome V