8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Cruise control hunting on mild downhills (16 Platnium)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Cruise control hunting on mild downhills (16 Platnium)

Greetings All,
The only gripe I have with the computer control, and I assume it was a compromise for something else, is...I would call it "too high gain" in the cruise control during mild decents. Another way to say it when the cruise control senses need for more speed it really comes on too much and jerks the vehicle forward.
Anyone else experience this (only on mild decents in my experience)?
cheers,
willie
Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by willie2323
Greetings All,
The only gripe I have with the computer control, and I assume it was a compromise for something else, is...I would call it "too high gain" in the cruise control during mild decents. Another way to say it when the cruise control senses need for more speed it really comes on too much and jerks the vehicle forward.
Anyone else experience this (only on mild decents in my experience)?
cheers,
willie

I assume it’s an active cruise control? Those things always behave strange..or perhaps abnormal for our personal preferences. I drove Lexus and that thing used to pull, brake and downshift/upshift like a teenage girl. Didn’t like it the way it worked. When no cars around it acts normally whenever Hill/Downhill, cars.. it’s going wild. I’m mean it’s safe but I didn’t like it.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:49 PM

yes its active/intelligent CC. That feature I really like and have no issues with it in fact, love it but one has to pick when to use it like on a long freeway haul, not tight traffic. It is really sweet with the CVT as no up/down shifting just a nice analog up/down sweep of the tach needle. Some have shown some disgust with the CVT but I love it especially with the active CC but then I have loved a CVT way back with our first altima. With advances in the computer control and possibly the mechanics of the CVT, this latest Maxima version is very nice.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:37 PM

I have had cruise control on all my cars (except the ones with manual trannies) for the last fifty years, and I have found cruise control often gives erratic results on hills, especially downhills. I have read in many driver manuals that cruise control works best on reasonably level ground. In fifty years of using cruise control, I have found that to be true.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:29 AM

yea, coming from an electro-mechanical enginnering career I can see how downhill can be challenging and when ya throw in the adaptive control, it gets more complicated. Still it is one of the features I love to use on the long hauls. It amazes me how well it works especially like in a curve, knowing the difference between cars coming at ya in the next lane and ones you are following. There are times I am in CC and have cars coming at me in the left lane thinking "I hope it doesnt get confused and slam on the brakes"...hehe. I was reading "Lost City of the Monkey God" the other day where they used Lidar (a form of radar) to map the jungle in Honduras. A comment was used that this form of radar is used in adaptive CC for cars, eh, trivia.