8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What indicator would be a guide to change year model??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 AM

What indicator would be a guide to change year model??

Yes, maybe is a stupid question, but since the Nissan local dealer' sales manager sent me a "special black friday sales offer" or "buen fin" here in Mexico, about to change my 2016 Maxima SR for a new 2108 Maxima SR, I have to think if this trade would be convenient for me before mi car devalues more......

I must say that I was able to paid it in cash in february 2016.

So, the indicator would be ....
1) The model year (in this case 2 years)????? or
2) Porcentage of depreciation of the initial value of the car????....taking on count that the dollar/mexican peso exchange has varied, and my car current value is about 25 or 27 % less than what I paid brand new.......
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by dochidalgo
Yes, maybe is a stupid question, but since the Nissan local dealer' sales manager sent me a "special black friday sales offer" or "buen fin" here in Mexico, about to change my 2016 Maxima SR for a new 2108 Maxima SR, I have to think if this trade would be convenient for me before mi car devalues more......

I must say that I was able to paid it in cash in february 2016.

So, the indicator would be ....
1) The model year (in this case 2 years)????? or
2) Porcentage of depreciation of the initial value of the car????....taking on count that the dollar/mexican peso exchange has varied, and my car current value is about 25 or 27 % less than what I paid brand new.......
The best indicator would be that you can blow about 12,000 dollars American and never give it a second thought. Really. Thing is i think you might have a pretty good wait anticipating the arrival of your new 2108 Maxima. :-)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 AM

I'm not sure why you aren't leasing, instead of buying. As stated, you'd blow all that tax/tag/title, depreciation, and do that twice in 2-3 years. These Cars drop something like 35% in the first year of ownership, THEN, there's the loss you take by trading it in, as you're not getting a fair "retail" market value during the swap. So in short, you could be dropping $15,000-$20,000 American (X2) for each purchase that is essentially vaporized by your need for something new. Where if you leased, you could in theory save more of that cash, especially since you like to pay the car up front, you can keep your cash in the bank.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'm not sure why you aren't leasing, instead of buying. As stated, you'd blow all that tax/tag/title, depreciation, and do that twice in 2-3 years. These Cars drop something like 35% in the first year of ownership, THEN, there's the loss you take by trading it in, as you're not getting a fair "retail" market value during the swap. So in short, you could be dropping $15,000-$20,000 American (X2) for each purchase that is essentially vaporized by your need for something new. Where if you leased, you could in theory save more of that cash, especially since you like to pay the car up front, you can keep your cash in the bank.
Thats why I'm buying lightly-used, but I only wish it deprecated as much as you say. Most of the platinums ive looked at still go for a good 30-33k after a year. Seems closer to 25% assuming the buyer spent MSRP, which they probably didn't.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Thats why I'm buying lightly-used, but I only wish it deprecated as much as you say. Most of the platinums ive looked at still go for a good 30-33k after a year. Seems closer to 25% assuming the buyer spent MSRP, which they probably didn't.

I've never owned a new car in my life. The only new car I've considered would be the Genesis, at least with that I wouldn't have to extend the warrantee to cover the loan period like you would with any 36/36000. And the customer care package built in pales almost every other car out there below that price range, I believe it includes ALL maintenance for the first 3 years, so even oil changes, they bring you the loaner Genesis to wherever you want it, they take your car to service, then bring it back when done. Of course all warrantee work includes that same loaner swap.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Thank you all for your points of view...
Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I've never owned a new car in my life. The only new car I've considered would be the Genesis, at least with that I wouldn't have to extend the warrantee to cover the loan period like you would with any 36/36000. And the customer care package built in pales almost every other car out there below that price range, I believe it includes ALL maintenance for the first 3 years, so even oil changes, they bring you the loaner Genesis to wherever you want it, they take your car to service, then bring it back when done. Of course all warrantee work includes that same loaner swap.
I was taking a good look at Genesis for a while. I still like them but ultimately sided with the Max. Some negatives for me...

- style
The exterior is certainly eye catching but I think it's already starting to look generic. One could be forgiven for mixing it up with a Ford Fusion at a distance. The interior reminds me of something Dad would drive. I love my dad but not ready for an old interior just yet

- permformance
I like that it's rear wheel drive but man is it slow. They claimed it could do 60 in 6.5 seconds but I have yet to hear of anyone getting under 7 (for the v6)

Funny how the price jumped up like crazy when they switched themselves to a luxury brand. I can still find used Hyundai Genesis for much less. Perhaps it has to do with all those customer service extras they are doing now.