8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

This car is a ***** to park

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 PM

This car is a ***** to park

I've had my 2017 Max for 2 weeks and let me tell you, she is a ***** to park. I'm a good parker. Grew up in the Bronx and can usually easily get into the tightest spots. But man, I don't know where the car is sometimes. I seem to be always parked crooked and too far away from the curb because I don't want to scratch my alloy wheels AGAIN!!!! And pulling straight into a spot in a parking lot, I am like a foot and a half away from where I should be. I have no clue where the front of the car ends. And the front is really low. If the spot has a curb in front of it, it is super easy to scrape the bottom of the car. Anyone else? Thanks, Dave
Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM

I have the same problem as I haven't learned to judge the vehicle's length when parking. And my front parking sensor never seem to chime.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by who4ever
I've had my 2017 Max for 2 weeks and let me tell you, she is a ***** to park. I'm a good parker. Grew up in the Bronx and can usually easily get into the tightest spots. But man, I don't know where the car is sometimes. I seem to be always parked crooked and too far away from the curb because I don't want to scratch my alloy wheels AGAIN!!!! And pulling straight into a spot in a parking lot, I am like a foot and a half away from where I should be. I have no clue where the front of the car ends. And the front is really low. If the spot has a curb in front of it, it is super easy to scrape the bottom of the car. Anyone else? Thanks, Dave
aaahh.. I used to live in Brooklyn so I know what’s its like to park over there. You find a spot and you squeeze it no matter how many turns you make. But ever since I moved to California I park my car really far away from the curb even my friends noticed that. At one point I even thought they think I’m a noob. But being learned to park a car in Brooklyn sometimes I wonder maybe it has to do something with car? Anyways I don’t really have needs to squeeze my car tightly so I still park it way far away from the curb and those parking lot stoppers.

Last edited by NisCal17; 11-15-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 PM

40k miles on my 16 and no issue parking.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Red face

I feel your pain. I've owned my Max since Dec. '16 and I can't count the number of times I've gotten out of the car and turned right around and reparked the danged thing. My worse problem is pulling in straight so there is about the same amount of room between the lines on both sides. Don't even ask me about how well I can get the front bumper reasonably close the the curb. Yuk!! I had a little bit of the same problem with my '07 Altima. I believe it has to do with the shapely curves of the front and sides of the Altima and Max. I've noticed those few times when I pulled off a miracle and got her set right in the middle of the parking lines, that the bottom of the side window on which I "sight align" is not close to parallel with my left side parking line. I have no problem at all with my wife's '14 Malibu or my 2007 and 1995 Vettes so I know it is not my parking ability or eyesight. Just something I'll have to practice on, but honestly it's not improving.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 PM

In my Platinum, I have the 360 overhead view, which makes parking not so hard. If I did not have the overhead view, I would get out of the car and guide my wife into the parking space, because I would not be able to see where I am in relation to the lines and curbs and parking bumpers. I have already paid hundreds of bucks getting my wheels repaired from barely touching curbs. My wife and I are also concerned with folks parking beside us and opening their door right into our car, so often park a long distance from the store/shop/etc to which we are going so as to be in an area where nobody else parks. We even try to park 'nose in' to a pole or post or tree, etc, in order to prevent Bubba from backing his wrecker up to our front bumper, then running his bed extension under our front bumper assembly, lifting the front of the car, then driving away with it. That is the way many car thieves operate down here in middle Georgia. As one gets nearer to Atlanta, thieves simply walk up to a person entering or leaving their car and jam a gun to their head/chest. Those who do not immediately give up their keys, phones, etc, are often shot. We avoid Atlanta, and usually avoid being away from home after dark.

But yes, parking the 8th gen Maxima can be frustrating.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 AM

I can see this...I test drove it and it felt very big compared to my Altima. I did not have to park it but I wondered about this
Old 11-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I feel your pain. I've owned my Max since Dec. '16 and I can't count the number of times I've gotten out of the car and turned right around and reparked the danged thing. My worse problem is pulling in straight so there is about the same amount of room between the lines on both sides. Don't even ask me about how well I can get the front bumper reasonably close the the curb. Yuk!! I had a little bit of the same problem with my '07 Altima. I believe it has to do with the shapely curves of the front and sides of the Altima and Max. I've noticed those few times when I pulled off a miracle and got her set right in the middle of the parking lines, that the bottom of the side window on which I "sight align" is not close to parallel with my left side parking line. I have no problem at all with my wife's '14 Malibu or my 2007 and 1995 Vettes so I know it is not my parking ability or eyesight. Just something I'll have to practice on, but honestly it's not improving.

I thought I was going crazy, or needed a new set of eyeglasses, but it's nice to see others have had the same issue. When I first bought this car, I was having a major problem parking evenly inside the lines of a parking space. My wife would make fun of me (I don't blame her!). Never had a problem with any car I've owned, including an I30t, I35, and 14' Altima. Now all of a sudden I have this "disability"!? It took me a couple of months to actually get situated with the lines of the car so I can park reasonably straight. Go figure!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:41 PM

I say just give it some time. I've felt the same way about most new cars that I've ever driven . It's awkward at first, but eventually it seems like an extension of your own body and you be able to "feel" the outer bounds of the car like its extension of you.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:29 PM

To me, it's the high belt line. It's hard to see the road around you, and that makes the car somewhat difficult to precisely place in a parking spot.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If I feel I'm getting to close - I turn the cameras on so you can see how close up front. Getting the 1st scratch on the wheels is a *****
Old 11-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by dmc79
To me, it's the high belt line. It's hard to see the road around you, and that makes the car somewhat difficult to precisely place in a parking spot.
This makes sense..
Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM

Yes, you can’t see where the hood ends and so on. An hour ago I learned that the hard way.. I went to the car wash and missed that damn conveyor belt guider.. heard a big snap.. got a good mark on my right wheel. I don’t know the guy who was supposed to help to get it strength kinda realized it to late.. I think he was too tired and got blinded by LEDs or something. The good think it’s not deep just a flat mark. I knew I didn’t have to wash it tonight I just knew it and turned to the car wash anyways.

Last edited by NisCal17; 11-17-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Is the GIANT backup camera not working in all your cars???

PPL, this gen Max is about half the length of cars in the late 60s/early 70s.

If my wife can parallel this car on a city street anyone can.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM

I would think this new feature will help:

2018 Nissan Maxima luxury sedan, with front and rear sonar driver assistance technology
FRONT AND REAR SONAR

Maxima’s available parking sonar gives you an added ally in your pursuit of parking perfection. With sensors on all four corners looking out for static objects, it gives you an audible warning when it detects you’re getting close.[*]

https://www.nissanusa.com/cars/maxima/features
Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Holy cow! Maxima advertized as luxury sedan? Am I driving Luxury sedan ? I think it’s more like premium sedan
Old 11-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Are not those 4 sensors located at the corners standard since the model year 2016? Regardless, a fantastic feature.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wifie is killing my wheels

2 months after I bought 2017 she runs front passenger wheel up against belgian block curb - big chunks off sidewall and wheel rim - both needed to be replaced - along with bearing and strut and alignment....
She has dinged up 2 other wheels since and is now banished to her CR-V with steelies.
She claims sitting so low makes it tough to judge the wheels and curb. My prior was a camaro - even tougher - and I’m tall and don’t have an issue (parking the car that is).
Old 11-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blasterguy
Are not those 4 sensors located at the corners standard since the model year 2016? Regardless, a fantastic feature.
You are correct. New to '16; old hat to '18.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Holy cow! Maxima advertized as luxury sedan? Am I driving Luxury sedan ? I think it’s more like premium sedan
Yes brother, welcome to our exclusive club. We will no longer look down on you so, as we did when you used to drive that lowly Altima. As part of the luxury package, we'll send you our exclusive calendar, where we meet to drink wine and cheese, and make fun of those lowly fools we have share the road with
Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 AM

No problem here. I have a ‘17 platinum with the overhead 360.... Even pulling into a ‘normal’ parking spot, I press the camera button to see where the front end is, and if I’m straight in my spot.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradle4
No problem here. I have a ‘17 platinum with the overhead 360.... Even pulling into a ‘normal’ parking spot, I press the camera button to see where the front end is, and if I’m straight in my spot.
I'm jealous, but I love my SL anyway and it was the right money for what I wanted.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradle4
I too rely heavily on the 360 degree view as well as the curb view angle to park the car. Those features alone will probably mean we get another Platinum next year when my 16's lease is up. With all that said, we would be up the creek without those features and most likely chewing up those very unprotected wheels. Some of the newer tires like the Michelin performance tires have a rubber lip that extends above and past the wheel edge. That might give a little more margin.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 AM

They need sensors in the centre of the front/rear too.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Platinum

It is not as easy with the lines but the all around view cameras on this car and my wife's 16 Pathfinder SL makes it so much easier to be straight and right in the middle of parking spots.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 PM

This cracks me up. How the hell did people park before all these fancy gadgets? I’ve never had an issue parking with this or any car. It’s all about learning your car.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by mikeymax17
This cracks me up. How the hell did people park before all these fancy gadgets? I’ve never had an issue parking with this or any car. It’s all about learning your car.
Strange but true. Cracks my wife up too. Just tonight I whipped into a parking spot and thought I did a decent job. When I got out the bottom edge of my driver door was parallel to parking line on my side so I thought "good deal" I've finally learned how to park her straight in. Nope. I was crooked as hell. Something is not right with this car. I refuse to blame myself. I think someone is playing a trick on me by moving the lines via remote control, and laughing hysterically.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Strange but true. Cracks my wife up too. Just tonight I whipped into a parking spot and thought I did a decent job. When I got out the bottom edge of my driver door was parallel to parking line on my side so I thought "good deal" I've finally learned how to park her straight in. Nope. I was crooked as hell. Something is not right with this car. I refuse to blame myself. I think someone is playing a trick on me by moving the lines via remote control, and laughing hysterically.
I can certainly agree with the two latest comments that you have to "learn the cars visual cues" when parking. That said, as you age it is very comforting to get the reassurance that you are not ready to wipe out a tire and wheel on a high curb. It's a technology crutch having the cameras and the 360 view but we won't have another car without them.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I can certainly agree with the two latest comments that you have to "learn the cars visual cues" when parking. That said, as you age it is very comforting to get the reassurance that you are not ready to wipe out a tire and wheel on a high curb. It's a technology crutch having the cameras and the 360 view but we won't have another car without them.
Agreed. My parents are getting older and I’ve definitely noticed a change in my fathers driving. Still should be used just as an aid, not depend on it solely. I️ see many people parking with their heads down looking at a screen, without looking up once. That’s pretty scary to watch lol
Old 11-21-2017, 05:00 PM

Is the GIANT backup camera not working in all your cars???

PPL, this gen Max is about half the length of cars in the late 60s/early 70s.

If my wife can parallel this car on a city street anyone can.
We're talkin' the easier kind of straight-in parking, unfortunately. If I had to parallel park this thing I'd be hurting and I've never had problems parking OTHER cars.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mikeymax17
This.

All these complaints are funny.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
This.

All these complaints are funny.

It's not about the fancy gadgets. For me, it's about a longer vehicle that I find harder to judge where the front end, especially when swinging in to our out of my driveway in winter. But being in Texas, you haven't experienced the joy of snow banks.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 PM

I think a lot of the concern here is the fact the wheel/tire combination on this car is extremely vulnerable to even the slightest brush against even the smoothest curb. And parking spaces in some areas are growing smaller and smaller as greedy shopkeepers and mall operators and parking lot operators try to crowd more and more cars in. At least the tires should have a rib/flange sticking out just above the rim to help a little in protecting the rim. As info, body shops in the Atlanta area are charging $375 to retouch two lightly scraped rims.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I find myself judging how far I am in a parking spot by using the front doors of an adjacent car(when available). After driving a Civic SI and a RSX S for my last 2 cars, judging the length of the noise is a *****. :<)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by madmarcus1960
I find myself judging how far I am in a parking spot by using the front doors of an adjacent car(when available). After driving a Civic SI and a RSX S for my last 2 cars, judging the length of the noise is a *****. :<)
I've had a little trouble with that too. I've used the camera button a few times to get a better look near the front and that seems to help
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM

Once you hear the bumper scrape, you're close enough.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I've had a little trouble with that too. I've used the camera button a few times to get a better look near the front and that seems to help
I'm afraid I am going to wear that camera button out. I use it every time I park. And my wife does the same.

Right after I bought the car, and found even the front camera view left me uncertain as to exactly what the situation was, I began getting out of the car as soon as I was stopped and walking to the front to see how the actual situation related to what I was seeing in the camera. That helped me to know how specific situations/margins/distances looked in the camera
Old 12-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Sometimes it's more than just parking...drive thru's are a pain. Also small streets and curves. Came up over a small drive in a parking lot...very tight and very narrow and it drops down to a lower parking lot--i drove off the road and into the grass...at that point i jacked the seat up to the highest position to avoid any and all blind-spots created by the belt-line.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 AM

I was re-reading this thread and recalled something that I saw on an amateur review on YouTube. Nissan kinda cheaped out on the sensors in this car, many other cars have 8 sensors, four in the front and the back. They work ok if your backing up to a wall, but it's easy for something like a pole smack dab in the middle of the bumper to escape detection.

On the other hand, I've been thoroughly impressed with the forward sensors when driving. The intelligent cruise control and AEB systems have been working fantastically
Old 12-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by madmarcus1960
LOL, I do one step further. When I partk, I look at my car's reflection on the door of the car next to me.

Quick Reply: This car is a ***** to park