8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Problems with Navigation maps update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problems with Navigation maps update

Hi All.
Just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
My name is Harold I own a 2016 Maxima platinum. Last month I purchased the 2018 navigation maps update. I received the SD card and instructions and proceeded
with the installation. Everything went well until it asked me for my activation code that I had received. I entered the code but got an error message stating the code is not valid. I called
the help number and was told I needed the radio ID number so they can re-activate. Well guess what happened, I could no longer go to the info. page to retrieve my radio ID since I already did
the upgrade. They suggested I contact the dealer where I bought the car. The dealer is more than willing to extract the code by hooking it up to the computer. The problem is the dealer is a 3 hour drive.
I contacted a local dealer where I now live in Sacramento and they are giving me the run around and want to charge me 150 dollars for the installation and buy another map from them as well.

My question is does anyone know another way to get the radio ID so I can give it to the Navigation people. By the way the company is called HERE NA LLC.
Does anyone know of a third party that can hook up the computer and extract the radio ID.

Please word of caution. Write down the radio ID before you install the map upgrade. I was never told and it does not appear in any of the instruction.
Thanking all in advance for your help.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM

From whom did you purchase the update card?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:43 PM

It breaks my heart to see Nissan Maxima owners have such ridiculous problems with something that should be fairly straightforward. Some here have been able to load a new navi map without a lot of trouble. But far too many have paid good money in good faith and had problems. My update cost me over $150 and several hours sitting in a dealership waiting room. What is happening with haestra (and what happened with me and several others) is something Nissan should be very ashamed with. When folks are willing to pay exhorbitant prices for something that should have been updated by Nissan before the car was sold to the public, and STILL have problems, something is very wrong at corporate. I have loved all eight of my Maximas over the last 34 years, but the navi update process reminds me of the problems I had with GM between 1953 and 1978, and is the reason I have never considered a GM product since.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-02-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The website is Nissan.navigation.com and company is called HERE NA LLC.

HERE North America LLC provides mapping and location intelligence. The Company offers navigation systems in North America and Europe.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:04 PM

The problems with updating the navi in Maximas are caused by the extensive steps Nissan has taken in order to insure that nobody will be able to update their navi without paying big bucks. That requires that measures be put in place to eliminate the possibility that two different Maximas be able to get their navi updated from the same update. That is why the VIN number comes into play with these updates.

I can see Nissan's side in a way, but something has gone far astray in the implementation when so many folks are having trouble, even after paying big bucks for an update. I have been a very loyal Nissan fan for many decades, but I must say I feel they are not handling navi updates in a customer friendly manner.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by haestra
The website is Nissan.navigation.com and company is called HERE NA LLC.

HERE North America LLC provides mapping and location intelligence. The Company offers navigation systems in North America and Europe.
If I am understanding things, 'HERE' is sort of a code name Nissan is using to cover some of their functions, such as things done by subcontractors and companies that work with Nissan products/accessories, things, etc. The NA is used to indicate this is a North America entity. The LLC (Limited Liability Company) is Nissan's way of showing the unit is not a specific Nissan-owned company, and that Nissan is not legally responsible for any damage or harm done by that company. I see and hear a lot about 'HERE' when researching Nissan things. It seems to have emanated from their Franklin TN North American headquarters.

It is time for me to shut up and clear the path for someone here to help haestra. What that latest dealer is trying to do to him should be considered as criminal. Nissan is counting on its dealers to handle some things that are the fault of Nissan, and it is not going as well as it should.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for your support. This situation is worst than I mentioned because now I have a non working Nav system that I payed a lot of money for since I'm unable to restore the old system either.
The bluetooth on my phone doesn't work as well as many other features. If I had known this I would have never bought a Nissan in the first place.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:09 PM

Thank you for your support. This situation is worst than I mentioned because now I have a non working Nav system that I payed a lot of money for since I'm unable to restore the old system either.
The bluetooth on my phone doesn't work as well as many other features. If I had known this I would have never bought a Nissan in the first place.
Terrible. I feel really bad for you as I have been through something similar though much worse. My unit actually bricked during the update and needed to be replaced. Nissan has no fail safe/roll back feature. I hope that is not what you are looking at now. Not to scare you just saying. As you know. When a update goes bad like this. It basically knocks out everything with the system and totally useless. The only way to get the numbers you need now are physically removing the unit and getting the numbers behind it. UNLESS the dealer can get into some kind of menu to find it that is hidden. IF I was a betting man. I see your whole unit having to be replaced now since there is no roll back feature. Let me find my thread and link you to it. If you are seeing the errors in that thread. You are screwed and will need a whole new unit. Link to thread https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...e-failure.html

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 12-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:50 PM

If I have come across as a little bitter regarding Maxima navi updates in this thread, I will admit my opinion is still clouded by a previous experience in this area. About five years ago, I paid $149 for a navi map update for my 2009 Maxima Premium, and my dealer's tech tried three times to load it for me, but was never able to get it to load. So I spent my last three or four years with that Maxima using the same outdated maps and info it had when I bought it in 2008, and with $149 less in my bank account. I have always loved Nissan, but that experience hurt.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM

Sorry to hear of all the difficulties that have been experienced by forum members in regard to the navigation updates- I got the run around from both my dealer- whom I feel I have a decent rapport with- and from Nissan customer care, which is an oxymoron- until I decided to forgo the updates- which should have been in the car's system when I purchased it. That led me to forgo taking action to update the system, and either use it as provided, or rely on Google Maps through Apple Car Play, which has become my default navigation method. I hope haestra and others are able to have their situations resolved, however I have decided to leave the system as is and not deal with the potential aggravation and expense. Not the way this should be- customers should be getting the updates from Nissan as a matter of course, As I mentioned previously, our Mazda 6 had outdated (and difficult to use) navigation maps, and the dealer brought the car in when we had the first oil change, and updated the maps to a much cleaner version at no charge, with no BS.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will try calling around to see if any shop will remove the radio and get the radio ID so I can continue with the update. Hopefully that will solve the issue.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:38 PM

haestra - Sorry we couldn't be more help here. You should not be going through these problems that are not of your making. I will light an extra candle for you in our Christmas décor, hoping that the spirit of the season may cause Nissan and/or their dealers to be more helpful for you.

Thanks for alerting us about getting the radio id # up front, and for keeping us posted.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All.
Just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
My name is Harold I own a 2016 Maxima platinum. Last month I purchased the 2018 navigation maps update. I received the SD card and instructions and proceeded
with the installation. Everything went well until it asked me for my activation code that I had received. I entered the code but got an error message stating the code is not valid. I called
the help number and was told I needed the radio ID number so they can re-activate. Well guess what happened, I could no longer go to the info. page to retrieve my radio ID since I already did
the upgrade. They suggested I contact the dealer where I bought the car. The dealer is more than willing to extract the code by hooking it up to the computer. The problem is the dealer is a 3 hour drive.
I contacted a local dealer where I now live in Sacramento and they are giving me the run around and want to charge me 150 dollars for the installation and buy another map from them as well.

My question is does anyone know another way to get the radio ID so I can give it to the Navigation people. By the way the company is called HERE NA LLC.
Does anyone know of a third party that can hook up the computer and extract the radio ID.

Please word of caution. Write down the radio ID before you install the map upgrade. I was never told and it does not appear in any of the instruction.
Thanking all in advance for your help.
Hi about 5 months ago I purchased a Nissan maxima platinum 2016, my navigation is not working, I took the car to de Nissan dealership, and I purchased a new sd card, I paid $398 it work for couple of days, but now is not recognizing my location, now is showing that I'm driving on the ocean, is being now 2 months and the dealership can't fix , getting frustrating now, and last I hear from the dealer is they want to remove the dash to check the antenna but they want me charge from $400 to $500 , too much money when this issue can be an Nissan issues, they need to take care of with no charge.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM

A little off topic, but is upgrading the map card worth it for anyone who's done it? Are the graphics the same?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 AM

I updated my 2017 Max Pl (which came with 2014-2015 maps) to the new maps (2018-2019), two weeks ago. I see no difference so far. The graphs are the same, I guess it just has new points of interest and more accurate roads (they're building new roads in my area constantly).
Old 11-21-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steptide
A little off topic, but is upgrading the map card worth it for anyone who's done it? Are the graphics the same?
Not worth the hassel and cost for something that could brick your system on a bad day