8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:27 AM

Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?

I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but couldn't find the thread(s), so if so, please feel free to direct me to. I know personal preference, but just curious. Assuming there was no cost difference, between the stock 18" wheels and the alternate 18" wheels, which look do you prefer and why?
Attached Thumbnails Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-stock-wheels-1.jpg   Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-alternate-wheels-1.jpg   Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-stock-wheels-2.jpg   Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-alternate-wheels-2.jpg   Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-stock-wheels-5.jpg  

Stock Wheels or Alternate Wheels?-alternate-wheels-6.jpg  

Last edited by sschumer; 12-29-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM

For me it's none of the above. I like the SR wheels.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Between those 2, I would pick stock wheels. The alternate wheels looks too busy.
And SR wheels best them both
​​​​​​​
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Hey there sschumer,

Funny you should ask this, because at one time I wondered the same thing. The last picture you posted is actually my car that I posted a few weeks ago.

At the time I was considering swapping them and started this thread...
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...de-wheels.html

Despite originally wanting the stock wheeels, the premium wheels have really grown on me. I've had lots of comments about the wheels specifically, and at this point prefer them. I think they really look better in person then they do in the photos
Old 12-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Of the two, I much prefer the standard 18" rim, but like others here I think the SR 19" wheels are actually the best looking of the OEM options.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Stock 18's check my box. Many compliments on them. What you call "alternate" wheels just don't look right to me. Looks like someone took a hacksaw to them. Just my opinion so no flaming requested. :-) Also, I know 19's, coupled with those hardazz Goodyears, and sport suspension is one of the set of causes of so many rattles, squeaks, and bumps for our SR brethren.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 PM

My wife was the biggest reason I kept the alternate wheels, she likes them much better. She was also the reason I went with the deep blue pearl. My first choice was White. That was price of not having to drive a stupid SUV which would have been her first choice in vehicle.

That said, they really do look much better in person then in the pictures, but that's probably true of all the choices. But everything's subjective, I can't understand why so many folks like to black out all the chrome or lower the suspension... those mods don't appeal to me at all. To each his own.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
My wife was the biggest reason I kept the alternate wheels, she likes them much better. She was also the reason I went with the deep blue pearl. My first choice was White. That was price of not having to drive a stupid SUV which would have been her first choice in vehicle.

That said, they really do look much better in person then in the pictures, but that's probably true of all the choices. But everything's subjective, I can't understand why so many folks like to black out all the chrome or lower the suspension... those mods don't appeal to me at all. To each his own.
Well put, I like the wheels you have once you see them in person. It's the only option I did not bite on when I ordered my 16 new. I would love to grab a set on my next one which I will order this fall.

I too just don't get the "blacked out" wheels (not rims) that are all the rage right now. With this in mind, another poster at this site, presented his white Max with the black wheels and that effect seems to work out very well on the white car.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
?..
With this in mind, another poster at this site, presented his white Max with the black wheels and that effect seems to work out very well on the white car.
Ditto on that, the dark highlights DO tend to look much better on the white car for some reason. I like the black spoiler too.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Understand those who think the SR (19") wheels are the best looking. But if it was only between the stock and alternates (both 18") -- and money wasn't a factor -- which would you choose and why?
Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Understand those who think the SR (19") wheels are the best looking. But if it was only between the stock and alternates (both 18") -- and money wasn't a factor -- which would you choose and why?
Old 03-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Schumer,

You asked this question before. What did you finally decide on?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Fishlet, still somewhat on the fence! Really like both looks. Very different, but both great in my view. I've gone back and forth on. At this point, lean slightly towards the stock. Maybe a more "appropriate" look for me at 61 -- whatever that means. Was just curious to get more chatter on this, see not only what others thought but why.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Fishlet, still somewhat on the fence! Really like both looks. Very different, but both great in my view. I've gone back and forth on. At this point, lean slightly towards the stock. Maybe a more "appropriate" look for me at 61 -- whatever that means. Was just curious to get more chatter on this, see not only what others thought but why.
It does seem proper to stay with a factory wheel of some sort. (not a boy racer type either) Lots of crowing about the 19 wheel/tire option for handling but at what expense for ride?. The tire sidewalls are thin enough! I don't think the aftermarket wheels that rub in the wheel wells is the answer. My car sits low for a mid western roads, curbs, snow and ice as is.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I’m a fan of the alternate wheels. I feel like they are more unique for one. Not nearly as many of those wheels I see driving around. Two, there seem to be enough black just to make it stand out, versus an all black wheel such as the SR where at times it seems so dark that you can’t make out any detail of the wheel. And finally, with the silver Maxima I purchased, the standard wheel just seems like too much chrome for the silver color.