9th Generation Rumblings - Page 3 - Maxima Forums

8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

9th Generation Rumblings

Old 12-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
If the turbo 4 is put in. I am out as well. Now a turbo V6 AWD would have my attention. Fingers crossed Nissan is doing this for the next gen.
They won't do anything that will overlap the Q50. So keep that in mind.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima09boy View Post
Just looked at the 2019 refresh.....not bad. Front end is just ok IMO, rear end not a fan of. Quad exhaust looks like a Hyundai or Pontiac Bonneville from back in the day. The red markers in the bumper look cheap as well.

I'm getting a little nervous about the fate of sedans in general, but I just can't see Nissan scrapping the Max, too much of a loyal following. I have to agree with what many have said here.....the Altima and Maxima are two different cars for two very different audiences. I can't tell you how angry I would get when someone would tell me "Nice Altima!" Lol.

I still have to stick by what my friend is telling me from Nissan corporate, as he is very close to the R&D team. Looks like the 9th gen will be here for MY2021, making the 8th gen a 5 year run. From what I understand, they have full scale clay mockups now and are deciding which one to go with for production. This would give them plenty of time for a December 2020 release, which is just about 2 years from now.

Time will tell, but I hope they don't put a turbo 4 in her, otherwise, my 2016 pearl platinum will be my last. Getting sad just thinking about it....

The only silver lining is that I'll be able to use my friends VPP Nissan discount program to buy the new Q80L in a couple years. Gotta keep things in the Nissan family at least.

I hope with all my heart that your friend is correct. I just can't imagine my automotive world without a Maxima. But, based on all the many the steps involved in a major redesign and Nissan's past process with new Maxima generations, If they are currently in the clay model stage, and this is truly a complete change from the current generation, it will probably be more like three years before all the tools for making body panels and other parts have been built and installed in the assembly line, test models have been built, road testing has been completed, the production line begins and cars are actually being shipped to dealers. There have been vehicles which Nissan has released before they were truly ready, but they seem to try to get the Maxima right before releasing it to dealers.

And we have to keep in mind that strange things can happen. Remember the terrible hailstorm that heavily damaged over a thousand 2004 Maximas that Nissan had accumulated on their back lot in preparation for the grand release of the 6th generation? The market was flooded with 'hail damaged' Maximas for over six months, and dealers had trouble getting the models they wanted for months. But I am not in a huge hurry. I have my money ready, and will just be so happy if there is indeed a ninth generation Maxima.

Please continue to let us know anything your friend reveals.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi light!
In fact I do remember the 2004 hailstorm that wreaked havoc on the Maximas. What a shame that was. They had issues with the Nissan hamburger falling off of the rear spoilers in that year Max as well.

LIke many have said, I will be happy just to see a 9th generation Max, but with a V6, lol. I just can't wrap my head around a Maxima having a 4-cylinder.

And as for the 9th generation, light you are spot-on with all of the things that need to occur for a new model. Sounds pretty aggressive to me for MY2021, but he knows a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Excited to see what it will look like. My only desires are that it has a V6 and an AWD option.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima09boy View Post
Hi light!
In fact I do remember the 2004 hailstorm that wreaked havoc on the Maximas. What a shame that was. They had issues with the Nissan hamburger falling off of the rear spoilers in that year Max as well.

LIke many have said, I will be happy just to see a 9th generation Max, but with a V6, lol. I just can't wrap my head around a Maxima having a 4-cylinder.

And as for the 9th generation, light you are spot-on with all of the things that need to occur for a new model. Sounds pretty aggressive to me for MY2021, but he knows a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Excited to see what it will look like. My only desires are that it has a V6 and an AWD option.

Maxima09boy - I do not doubt that Nissan would love to get a totally new Maxima heading to dealers by late '21, just like they intended for the 8th gen to arrive as the 2015 model year. But sometimes things happen, and delays become unavoidable (unexpected problems with the redesigned CVT delayed the 8th gen). All we can do is cross our fingers and hope. Like you, I really hope we get an engine very similar to the one we have on the 8th gen; 6 cylinder and normally aspirated. And styling will be very important. I would love to get a glimpse of those clay models.

Speaking of those 2004 6th gens, a lot of those left the factory with the left roof drainage tube accidentally compressed down near the bottom of the windshield during assembly, resulting in the drivers side footwell becoming a lake if the car was left parked on a slope leaning to the left and it rained. I ran fairly firm plastic fishing line down the drain tube to locate the blockage, and my dealer opened the bodywork and fixed the problem in less than an hour. Took me weeks to get the driver side floor carpet and padding completely dry. That was the only problem I ever had with that 2004 SL. My 7th gen 2009 Premium was perfect from day one. My all-time favorite Maxima was my 1985, and I had two of those (one for my wife). The 1985 was such a big step up from the little Datsuns I had been driving. I had driven Datsuns in Tokyo between 1958 and 1961, and loved their simplicity.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 AM

This is an important note for the 9th gen Maxima (and Murano, which shares a number of bits):

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...otype-detroit/
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, it's Eric (maxima09boy) Had to update my screen name and stop living in the past )

Good catch lindros2, interesting article.

The comments from Karim Habib regarding the new design language on the upcoming all electric Infiniti sedans beginning in 2021 further leads me to believe in what my friend at Nissan is telling me about the all new Max for 2021.

I have a bad feeling in that the new Max is going to be all electric, OR a hybrid, OR a 4 banger, lol, none of which I am the least bit interested in.

I'll see where my budget is in a couple years.....may either get the "last of the good ones" in a 2020 Max Plat Reserve, or graduate to a Q80L.

Either way, I'm getting sad thinking about the future of my baby, aka, the Maxima (
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxima16boy View Post

I have a bad feeling in that the new Max is going to be all electric, OR a hybrid, OR a 4 banger, lol, none of which I am the least bit interested in.

(
I agree with you on the 4 banger part, but if they really did go all Electric , that could be quite good.

You can get some serious performance with electric, as Tesla has shown the world. I'm tempted to think it would be more like that, and less like a Prius

Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet View Post
I agree with you on the 4 banger part, but if they really did go all Electric , that could be quite good.

You can get some serious performance with electric, as Tesla has shown the world. I'm tempted to think it would be more like that, and less like a Prius
The Tesla Model 3 is proving to be a serious performer on the track. Just set a lap record at Laguna Seca.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
This is an important note for the 9th gen Maxima (and Murano, which shares a number of bits):

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...otype-detroit/
I have tried to convince myself for years that the Maxima would never go electric or hybrid. But time passes, and things change. Nothing surprises me these days. Electric is not the end of the world. Whatever Maxima we are lucky enough to get, I will give it a fair shot.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by craziexstylez View Post
Agree. The new 2019 Altima has all the same feature as the Maxima minus the 300ponies. I showed my niece the new Altima and she rather purchase that over the maxima because of their identical design with 10k less than the maxima.
If she doesn't care about power she should be OK ... The new Altimas are slick.