8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

9th Generation Rumblings

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
If the turbo 4 is put in. I am out as well. Now a turbo V6 AWD would have my attention. Fingers crossed Nissan is doing this for the next gen.
They won't do anything that will overlap the Q50. So keep that in mind.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima09boy
Just looked at the 2019 refresh.....not bad. Front end is just ok IMO, rear end not a fan of. Quad exhaust looks like a Hyundai or Pontiac Bonneville from back in the day. The red markers in the bumper look cheap as well.

I'm getting a little nervous about the fate of sedans in general, but I just can't see Nissan scrapping the Max, too much of a loyal following. I have to agree with what many have said here.....the Altima and Maxima are two different cars for two very different audiences. I can't tell you how angry I would get when someone would tell me "Nice Altima!" Lol.

I still have to stick by what my friend is telling me from Nissan corporate, as he is very close to the R&D team. Looks like the 9th gen will be here for MY2021, making the 8th gen a 5 year run. From what I understand, they have full scale clay mockups now and are deciding which one to go with for production. This would give them plenty of time for a December 2020 release, which is just about 2 years from now.

Time will tell, but I hope they don't put a turbo 4 in her, otherwise, my 2016 pearl platinum will be my last. Getting sad just thinking about it....

The only silver lining is that I'll be able to use my friends VPP Nissan discount program to buy the new Q80L in a couple years. Gotta keep things in the Nissan family at least.

I hope with all my heart that your friend is correct. I just can't imagine my automotive world without a Maxima. But, based on all the many the steps involved in a major redesign and Nissan's past process with new Maxima generations, If they are currently in the clay model stage, and this is truly a complete change from the current generation, it will probably be more like three years before all the tools for making body panels and other parts have been built and installed in the assembly line, test models have been built, road testing has been completed, the production line begins and cars are actually being shipped to dealers. There have been vehicles which Nissan has released before they were truly ready, but they seem to try to get the Maxima right before releasing it to dealers.

And we have to keep in mind that strange things can happen. Remember the terrible hailstorm that heavily damaged over a thousand 2004 Maximas that Nissan had accumulated on their back lot in preparation for the grand release of the 6th generation? The market was flooded with 'hail damaged' Maximas for over six months, and dealers had trouble getting the models they wanted for months. But I am not in a huge hurry. I have my money ready, and will just be so happy if there is indeed a ninth generation Maxima.

Please continue to let us know anything your friend reveals.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi light!
In fact I do remember the 2004 hailstorm that wreaked havoc on the Maximas. What a shame that was. They had issues with the Nissan hamburger falling off of the rear spoilers in that year Max as well.

LIke many have said, I will be happy just to see a 9th generation Max, but with a V6, lol. I just can't wrap my head around a Maxima having a 4-cylinder.

And as for the 9th generation, light you are spot-on with all of the things that need to occur for a new model. Sounds pretty aggressive to me for MY2021, but he knows a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Excited to see what it will look like. My only desires are that it has a V6 and an AWD option.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima09boy
Hi light!
In fact I do remember the 2004 hailstorm that wreaked havoc on the Maximas. What a shame that was. They had issues with the Nissan hamburger falling off of the rear spoilers in that year Max as well.

LIke many have said, I will be happy just to see a 9th generation Max, but with a V6, lol. I just can't wrap my head around a Maxima having a 4-cylinder.

And as for the 9th generation, light you are spot-on with all of the things that need to occur for a new model. Sounds pretty aggressive to me for MY2021, but he knows a heck of a lot more about what's going on than I do.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Excited to see what it will look like. My only desires are that it has a V6 and an AWD option.

Maxima09boy - I do not doubt that Nissan would love to get a totally new Maxima heading to dealers by late '21, just like they intended for the 8th gen to arrive as the 2015 model year. But sometimes things happen, and delays become unavoidable (unexpected problems with the redesigned CVT delayed the 8th gen). All we can do is cross our fingers and hope. Like you, I really hope we get an engine very similar to the one we have on the 8th gen; 6 cylinder and normally aspirated. And styling will be very important. I would love to get a glimpse of those clay models.

Speaking of those 2004 6th gens, a lot of those left the factory with the left roof drainage tube accidentally compressed down near the bottom of the windshield during assembly, resulting in the drivers side footwell becoming a lake if the car was left parked on a slope leaning to the left and it rained. I ran fairly firm plastic fishing line down the drain tube to locate the blockage, and my dealer opened the bodywork and fixed the problem in less than an hour. Took me weeks to get the driver side floor carpet and padding completely dry. That was the only problem I ever had with that 2004 SL. My 7th gen 2009 Premium was perfect from day one. My all-time favorite Maxima was my 1985, and I had two of those (one for my wife). The 1985 was such a big step up from the little Datsuns I had been driving. I had driven Datsuns in Tokyo between 1958 and 1961, and loved their simplicity.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 AM

This is an important note for the 9th gen Maxima (and Murano, which shares a number of bits):

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...otype-detroit/
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, it's Eric (maxima09boy) Had to update my screen name and stop living in the past )

Good catch lindros2, interesting article.

The comments from Karim Habib regarding the new design language on the upcoming all electric Infiniti sedans beginning in 2021 further leads me to believe in what my friend at Nissan is telling me about the all new Max for 2021.

I have a bad feeling in that the new Max is going to be all electric, OR a hybrid, OR a 4 banger, lol, none of which I am the least bit interested in.

I'll see where my budget is in a couple years.....may either get the "last of the good ones" in a 2020 Max Plat Reserve, or graduate to a Q80L.

Either way, I'm getting sad thinking about the future of my baby, aka, the Maxima (
Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxima16boy

I have a bad feeling in that the new Max is going to be all electric, OR a hybrid, OR a 4 banger, lol, none of which I am the least bit interested in.

(
I agree with you on the 4 banger part, but if they really did go all Electric , that could be quite good.

You can get some serious performance with electric, as Tesla has shown the world. I'm tempted to think it would be more like that, and less like a Prius

Old 12-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I agree with you on the 4 banger part, but if they really did go all Electric , that could be quite good.

You can get some serious performance with electric, as Tesla has shown the world. I'm tempted to think it would be more like that, and less like a Prius
The Tesla Model 3 is proving to be a serious performer on the track. Just set a lap record at Laguna Seca.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
This is an important note for the 9th gen Maxima (and Murano, which shares a number of bits):

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...otype-detroit/
I have tried to convince myself for years that the Maxima would never go electric or hybrid. But time passes, and things change. Nothing surprises me these days. Electric is not the end of the world. Whatever Maxima we are lucky enough to get, I will give it a fair shot.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by craziexstylez
Agree. The new 2019 Altima has all the same feature as the Maxima minus the 300ponies. I showed my niece the new Altima and she rather purchase that over the maxima because of their identical design with 10k less than the maxima.
If she doesn't care about power she should be OK ... The new Altimas are slick.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by lionel2013
If she doesn't care about power she should be OK ... The new Altimas are slick.
New altimas are nice and definitely have some nice features for the price. However, they're still not nearly as nice as the maxima, and I don't mean just lack of power. I actually ended up looking at maximas because I went to the Nissan dealer to originally look at altimas. Test drove the altima twice and after one test drive of the maxima, I was sold. The maxima is just alot nicer car, and should be for the price. However, most daily drivers would be happy with a 19 altima, and they have more space than the maxima so are a bit more practical
Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 AM

Steptide, I agree with you. Lot to like about the new Altima, but overall I absolutely prefer the Maxima. Lots of articles out there like the following one that concludes Altima the better value, but I don't think these writers are giving the Maxima enough credit for what makes it worth -- at least to most all of us here -- the higher cost.

Nissan Altima vs. Maxima: Which Sedan Is Right For You? https://www.autoguide.com/car-compar...-right-for-you
Old 03-31-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Steptide, I agree with you. Lot to like about the new Altima, but overall I absolutely prefer the Maxima. Lots of articles out there like the following one that concludes Altima the better value, but I don't think these writers are giving the Maxima enough credit for what makes it worth -- at least to most all of us here -- the higher cost.

Nissan Altima vs. Maxima: Which Sedan Is Right For You? https://www.autoguide.com/car-compar...-right-for-you
Altima is lot more family oriented sedan. Unlike Maxima which is more for a couple/single driver vehicle. I think it’s forwarded to commute and also have a fun weekend touring.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM

We may have another fly in the ointment with the 9th gen Maxima. Renault is pushing for a vote on Fiat Chrysler Automobile's proposed merger, despite failing to win over longtime partner Nissan. The deal is now looking more likely.

Renault's path toward a deal had temporarily been muddied after Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa said the Japanese company needs to review the future of their two decade alliance.

Fiat Chrysler's proposal for a 50-50 merger under a Dutch holding company would create the world's third largest automaker. While Nissan cant block a Fiat- Renault combination, the Yokohama-based company could use its strong presence in China, Japan and the rest of Asia, as well as its electric car technology as leverage.

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire wants any combination with Fiat to come within the framework of the Franco-Japanese Alliance, which also includes Mitsubishi Motors Corp. 'The potential addition of FCA as a new member of the alliance could expand the playing field for collaboration and create new opportunities for further synergies', said Nissan CEO Saikawa. 'That said, the proposal being discussed is a full merger, which, if realized, would significantly alter the structure of our partner Renault. This would require a full review of the relationship between Renault and Nissan.' France is also seeking a special dividend for shareholders of Renault, which owns 43% of Nissan.

It is uncertain how this will play out, but I feel Nissan will probably opt to remain in the new consortium, and there may be no effect on plans for the 9th gen Maxima. But I definitely have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-06-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:57 AM

ummmm, hmmmm they redesigned the Altima to look like a Maxima not the other way around, I love my Gen 8, have you ever driven one?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:19 PM

I would expect the Maxima to disappear soon. It has had a good long run but I see it leaving and it's space at the dealers replaced with multiple flavors of the Altima pushed out (all-electric? hyrbrid? coupe?). If you want a sedan, it will be the A or a (gasp) Sentra. Maxima is a lot of car to sit around on lots just waiting to be discounted and Nissan doesn't have the cash to waste these days. Muranos are dead too. At my Nissan dealer, the Maximas and Muranos are at the back of the lot, looking pretty lonely.

Last edited by 17MaxSR; 06-07-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:31 PM

You have a good point, a lot of Manufactures are discontinuing these, Ford just discontinued the Focus, I am not so sure Nissan will follow suite, but I could be wrong. I know what I would like to see would be the 10th Gen to come out with a 3.7 twin Turbo AWD with 400 HP or more, that would get me excited however I think I am just dreaming. Out of all the midsize Sedans I think the Maxima is one of the coolest in the lot. I plan on hanging on the my Maxima for a while and if I trade up it will probably be for a 370Z NISMO....
Old 06-07-2019, 01:33 PM

After Driving my Maxima I couldn't even think about switching to a 2.5 Altima, that would drive me nuts, I am so used to that 300hp powerplant anything less would not be satisfying.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rhythm302
I know what I would like to see would be the 10th Gen to come out with a 3.7 twin Turbo AWD with 400 HP or more
That would shred the CVT belt, arrange the transmission's funeral now
Old 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM

Well yes obviously, the reason for AWD instead of a CVT.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM

I should have been more clear I meant an Automatic AWD Transmission, not a CVT lol
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhythm302
I should have been more clear I meant an Automatic AWD Transmission, not a CVT lol
I'm not sure what Nissan will do with the 9th gen power plant, but I doubt they would go backwards technologically by reverting to an automatic tranny. I am getting 33 MPG on freeway trips with my CVT powered 8th gen, and I never approached that efficiency with my 2nd through 6th gens using automatic trannies. Government fleet fuel efficiency requirements influence manufacturer's decisions on trannies. That is why so many vehicles from many manufacturers have switched to CVTs.

CVTs are fully capable of handling the 300 to 325HP range in which the Maxima belongs. The Maxima has never been a 'boy racer' type of vehicle, and I never expect to see a stock Maxima with over 325 HP. Probably not over 320 HP. I look for the 9th gen to top out around 310 to 315 HP.

Of course if the 9th gen turns out to be an electric vehicle, we could have a different discussion.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why didn't nissan give the maxima the 3.5HR or the 3.7 and give infiniti the 3.0tt motor. 360 hp and redlining at 7500 rpm would feel and sound more like a 4DSC.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kwmax16
Why didn't nissan give the maxima the 3.5HR or the 3.7 and give infiniti the 3.0tt motor. 360 hp and redlining at 7500 rpm would feel and sound more like a 4DSC.
Because Nissan is a business, not a charity.
Nor an aftermarket tuner. Nor Audi or MB who can fund projects like the “coupe” versions of their SUV’s.

Nissan’s investment is in the Rogue, Pathfinder, and Kicks.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Was getting my brakes serviced and talked to a 5 yr Nissan salesman and he would be surprised if the Maxima makes it another generation. The Altima addresses all the sedan needs of most buyers for 8-10k less, he never gets a casual looker to even take a test ride in a Maxima. The only times he sells a Maxima is to a current Maxima owner trading up. However, USED Maximas do well but yeah, us Maxima guys know why, huge depreciation.

Last edited by 17MaxSR; 06-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM

Worrisome article in this week's news:

'The newly tapped directors to strengthen corporate governance at Nissan promised to turn the Japanese automakers ailing business around, but said Wednesday that extensive job cuts designed to drive the recovery are also coming.

'Nissan's brand image has been battered by the financial wrongdoing of former chairman Carlos Ghosn, who is awaiting trial in Japan.

' Motoo Nagai, a former banker and a new outside director overseeing audit, told reporters Wednesday the job cuts will be announced this week under a new scenario to drive growth.

That news does not necessarily mean the Maxima is gone, but does portend of a radical tightening of the belt at Nissan, and, despite the pro generation nine Maxima news a few Nissan officials have leaked out during the past few years, Nissan's situation is clearly changing, and I am crossing my fingers about a ninth gen Maxima. 'tempered hope' would best describe my feelings.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:11 PM

Discussion of this ongoing in my forum.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 AM

Maxima highlight of the chopping block:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/30/...minate-models/
Old 07-31-2019, 02:55 AM

So long Maxima. It has been a fun ride...
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Maxima highlight of the chopping block:
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/30/...minate-models/
Aw man, you beat me to it! And while I'd hate to see the max on the chopping block, it kinda makes sense...at this point, the only difference between the Max and the Altima is a bigger engine and 10k in price.....
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM

Guess I'll pick up a 2019 Maxima Platinum before the end of the year now instead of wait for summer 2020. I will not buy any other Nissan Sedan. If the Maxima goes, so long Nissan! I'm not buying another vehicle from you.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
Guess I'll pick up a 2019 Maxima Platinum before the end of the year now instead of wait for summer 2020. I will not buy any other Nissan Sedan. If the Maxima goes, so long Nissan! I'm not buying another vehicle from you.
Same here, If the Max goes i'll go right behind it.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:43 AM

The Maxima faces new sedan competition in the US with the new VW Arteon sedan. Priced much like the Maxima for the most part, but equipped more like the Altima, which is sort of perplexing. With 2.0 turbo and AWD, it seems like an Altima but with prices arcing well over $40K, prices more in line with a Maxima. Good luck with that VW. Not a horrible looking car (the tail end is actually nice) but very Accord/Avalon like.

VW Arteon sedan

Old 09-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 17MaxSR
The Maxima faces new sedan competition in the US with the new VW Arteon sedan. Priced much like the Maxima for the most part, but equipped more like the Altima, which is sort of perplexing. With 2.0 turbo and AWD, it seems like an Altima but with prices arcing well over $40K, prices more in line with a Maxima. Good luck with that VW. Not a horrible looking car (the tail end is actually nice) but very Accord/Avalon like.

VW Arteon sedan

I am hoping this is the general direction the Maxima would go, a sportback type AWD sedan, just not with a I-4 turbo. A Nissan specific spin on this setup, with a twin-turbo 3.0 V6 and AWD option. These things have tons of utility due to the hatch vs. trunk only setup, but have the sedan shape for better styling compared to crossovers.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM

I am hoping this is the general direction the Maxima would go, a sportback type AWD sedan, just not with a I-4 turbo. A Nissan specific spin on this setup, with a twin-turbo 3.0 V6 and AWD option. These things have tons of utility due to the hatch vs. trunk only setup, but have the sedan shape for better styling compared to crossovers.
I concur. For one thing, if the next generation Maxima doesn't have AWD at least available, if not standard, sadly, I will lot buy another one. A cursory, un-scientific survey I did here on the roads of Chicagoland yielded something like 80% of (at least newer) vehicles I saw, including sedans, are AWD. And AWD is mighty useful over here, during this lovely region's very long winters.

Also: fine by me if Nissan wants to give the next Max a turbo engine, but not a 2.0 or 2.5 L I-4, please. I do not want to go back in time/compromise when it comes to horsepower. A 3.0 V6 turbo engine would be great and would make for a very reasonable solution to the gas mileage and emission requirements per one HP..

Last, but not least, I would not touch a VW - any VW - with a 10 ft pole at present or in the near future. Over here in the US they already had a bad reputation for poor reliability, which they then made much worse with the whole emissions cheating scandal, a true disgrace for any car manufacturer.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 17MaxSR

VW Arteon sedan

I took my daughter's VW Jetta for service this weekend and had the opportunity to see the Arteon close and personal , inside is too plain and it does not have the luxurious feeling of the Maxima. The virtual cockpit is nice but don't know if being a VW it will have any issues down the road, So far my daughter's 2017 Jetta has been very reliable but it is a basic car compared to the Arteon. The outside is beautiful but I would never replace my Maxima Platinum for an Arteon...
Old 09-18-2019, 02:09 PM

We'll all go electric if they kill the Maxima: https://www.autonews.com/design/niss...t-crossover-ev
Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by bones787718
Same here, If the Max goes i'll go right behind it.
The Maxima is not going anywhere,

"We're working on the next-generation Maxima to even be something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be," Bunce said. "That's what Maxima buyers expect from us. They expect us to really push the envelope."
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM

The Maxima is not going anywhere,

"We're working on the next-generation Maxima to even be something greater than people ever thought or imagined a Maxima could be," Bunce said. "That's what Maxima buyers expect from us. They expect us to really push the envelope."
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 AM

Just came acroos this information ! Would be interesting if its true ? I think 2021 is a little to early for the redesign of the Maxima , although it 5 years from the current one.
When you look at the exterior picture one can conclude this could be any Nissan Sedan.

https://carnewswebsite.com/2021-niss...-release-date/

https://nissancarusa.com/new-2021-ni...oncept-rumors/

Quick Reply: 9th Generation Rumblings