8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

USB Resetting to first song

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

USB Resetting to first song

I have a 2017.5 Maxima Platinum, that is experiencing a USB problem.

It is not consistent, but is intermittent. Sometimes when I start the car, I will see the message "Reading USB Memory" and the first song on my USB flash drive will start playing. I have seen this occur if I was in the middle of USB playback previously. I have also seen it if I was listening to the radio or CD previously.

I have experienced this issue in both USB ports. I've also tried 5 different USB drives, both 2.0 & 3.0 and experienced the issue.

I was wondering how many other folks have experienced this problem, or can say that your car never has this problem.
If you are experiencing the problem, have you found a fix.

I have my car in at the dealer now hoping they can fix it, but it doesn't seem very promising.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 PM

read the thread on the issue it has been discussed.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, I have found several threads on this topic. My conclusion from reading these threads is that some cars have this problem and some do not.

But I have never found a real resolution nor have I found anyone that got the problem fixed. I have only found workarounds.

So I started this thread to try to figure out what percentage of cars have this issue, and whether anyone has gotten the dealer to fix the issue.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:33 AM

I have a 2017 SL with the same issue, I just kind of gave up and I leave the usb out unless I feel like an album then plug it in and find it. I wish we could upload albums into a hard drive.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by kwlbrown
I have a 2017 SL with the same issue, I just kind of gave up and I leave the usb out unless I feel like an album then plug it in and find it. I wish we could upload albums into a hard drive.
Another example of Nissan de contenting their cars. My 2010 Maxima would record from CDs right on to the hard drive as the CD was played.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, I have a 2017 SL. From the day I picked up my new max I have had an issue with my A/V unit having a problem reading my USB and ultimately landing on the first song in the first folder. Another problem I had was with the A/V unit starting automatically upon starting the car knowing I had previously turned it off. I wrote another post thinking it was related to it being a USBv2 vs. USBv3. That turned out to not be the problem. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and complained. I was referred to the dealer. They needed evidence of the problem and eventually witnessed my complaint. They replaced the whole unit. Replacing the A/V unit didn't make the problem go away. The issue happened within an hour or two of picking the car up at the dealer. I began to think it could be related to the USB ports as it seemed to occur more with the usb drive in port 2. After about 6 months I decided to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs again to log another complaint. They referred me back to the dealer. I called the dealer again and they suggested I call Nissan to request a factory representative meet me at the dealer. I knew that would be useless if I didn't have evidence of the problem because chances are the issue wouldn't happen when the factory rep was watching. So now we get into the meat of why I am writing my post. My thought was I would use my android smartphone camera to videotape what was happening. So every time I got in my car I would unlock my phone and start my videotaping. I did this everyday for about 3 weeks and not once did the system start automatically or have a problem reading the USB. But, the first time I forgot to start up the video, the problem occurred. And it continued to occur the times I'd forget to start the videotaping. I thought that was one hell of a coincidence that when videotaping the problem didn't occur. So it occurred to me that it was the action of unlocking my phone. I have now been doing that for a couple weeks. I unlock my phone prior to starting the car and the A/V doesn't start automatically nor does it reset to the first song. However, the one time I forgot to unlock my phone before starting my car, it reset to the first song. My thought is in that the problem is related to the bluetooth as the A/V system needs to access the phone for contacts and text messages and the act of unlocking the phone gives access to bluetooth. So I would love to see others use my theory of unlocking your phones prior to starting the vehicle to see if the problem occurs. I plan on forwarding my findings to Nissan and would love to get confirmation.

Last edited by TOE_CHEESE; 06-22-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Great detective work and way beyond what the average owner would do. There must be something to the phone unlock sequence. Our 2016 works with an Android phone what is never locked upon car entry.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi Toe Cheese,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I am amazed that you got Nissan to replace the whole radio unit. Too bad that didn't solve your problem. Since they couldn't figure out the problem with mine, I asked them to replace the whole radio unit, but they would not agree to this. I did open a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs, and someone contacted me. But that person didn't offer any real help, other than to advise me to try a different dealership.

That's interesting that unlocking your phone had an effect on the issue. In my case I was able to use my phone to get a video of the issue occuring, more than once. So evidently for me unlocking does not make a difference. But I will explore further. What type of behavior do you observe if you completely unpair your phone? Does the issue always occur or never occur?

The only sort of workarounds I have found involve not using usb memory sticks. These workarounds are:
1) Use the CD player instead of the usb drive. Burn songs as data to a CD, then pop this into the cd drive. But the cd drive has more of a lag than the usb port.
2) Use an ipod plugged into the usb drive. This was suggested by Fishlet on another usb thread in this forum. Evidently the ipod remembers where you are so you never reset to the first song. Also it allows playlists. But the ipod is not as responsive as a usb stick. Might be because I am using an old ipod.

Thanks.