8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Suspension help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Suspension help!

I recently installed a set of Godspeed mono ss coilovers on my 2017 Maxima. When I dropped the back to the level I wanted it, I had to compress the A arm quite a bit and left the stock spring intact and it seemed like the coilover and spring were fighting each other. So I raised the rear to about factory height. Seems to be better now but it got me thinking. Are the factory springs even necessary with a set of coilovers? I have seen videos on G35s where the factory coils are deleted and was just wondering if that is appropriate for this application. I did try to remove the coils myself to no avail, so will probably have to take it to a shop if this is the necessary step to be able to get the ride height where I want it. Any feedback or personal experience is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:19 PM

if you have a spring on your rear coilover and not a separate spring from the shock you do not need the spring in the bucket, you'll never be able to get lower than oem if so

Check this
Old 06-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I kinda was thinking that may be the case. I think I’ll just take it to a shop and have them do it... lol I’ve taken the back apart 3x this weekend and I’m spent.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kasdepwel
if you have a spring on your rear coilover and not a separate spring from the shock you do not need the spring in the bucket, you'll never be able to get lower than oem if so

Check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiH52YqqpY&t=6s
Got it done! My impatience and cheapness won out. Thanks for the vid, that really helped
Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's great looking. Question is do they feel tight enough on turns and do they ever bottom on dips? I have been thinking GodSpeed, Truheart or D2. That and what size rims do you have, I have a 17' SL and am installing 20" X 8.5's next week. Do you think I'll have any issues, just recommendations because you have already installed the suspension I will?

Originally Posted by James Carpenter

Got it done! My impatience and cheapness won out. Thanks for the vid, that really helped
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SLZanoMax
That's great looking. Question is do they feel tight enough on turns and do they ever bottom on dips? I have been thinking GodSpeed, Truheart or D2. That and what size rims do you have, I have a 17' SL and am installing 20" X 8.5's next week. Do you think I'll have any issues, just recommendations because you have already installed the suspension I will?
Thank you! I hear a lot of people saying bad things about godspeed and I have to say now that I have them properly installed I absolutely love them. They definitely aren’t the most expensive coilovers on the market but I’m impressed by both the ride quality and handling of these. I’m running 20x8 wheels with the back just slightly tucked and no fender roll. I haven’t bottomed out the back yet and definitely no issues with rubbing. I will say sharp inclines will bottom out the front but hey, it’s lowered. To me, everyday driving is almost as comfortable as stock but you can definitely tell it’s firmer and in corners these things shine, hardly any body roll at all. I am running them on full firm