8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Maxima Sales

"Nissan's Maxima, Altima and Versa posted some of the most significant losses for Nissan's car division, with the Maxima down a whopping 53.3 percent."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...les/877893002/

Nissan-specific detail: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...2018-u-s-sales

Last edited by sschumer; 08-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 PM

No surprise. Sentra, Altima and Rogue are their bread and butter. Maxima is not exactly cheap when you get into the SL, SR and Platinum versions brand new. Also the Nissan Puke needs to just go away that thing is beyond hideous.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 08-01-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
No surprise. Sentra, Altima and Rogue are their bread and butter. Maxima is not exactly cheap when you get into the SL, SR and Platinum versions brand new. Also the Nissan Puke needs to just go away that thing is beyond hideous.

Altima was a loss for Nissan as well. It is just a new trend that SUVs are outpacing sedans by a significant number.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 AM

The Juke is replaced by the Kicks. Who comes up with these names?
Still beats the alphanumerics in the other brands. (Except BWM and Mercedes)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Part of the issue is releasing info on the greatly improved 19 Altimas and Maximas and wondering why the 18s are not selling. I just got an offer from Nissan that they would waive my last 2 months lease payments if I got another 18 Maxima. No go for me!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Sedan sales have slumped drastically in recent years. Almost everybody in my neighborhood is riving an SUV of some sort. I have been a sedan person since I began driving in 1949 (have never looked twice at any SUV), and will stay with sedans as long as they are being manufactured. My fear is that the current trend of manufacturers simply dropping sedans from their lineup might eventually catch up with the Maxima. If that happens, I might be looking at a Mercedes or BMW sedan. Manufacturers can fill their dealer lots up with SUVs, but they can't make me buy one.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 AM

lightonthehill, I feel the exact same way. Have always owned sedans, and they remain my first preference.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:36 PM

I also will never get a SUV for myself.
Back in June I took a long trip - 585 miles with my 2016 Maxima (Plat).
All I can say is how comfortable the trip was, never felt leg fatigue and the gas mileage was
outstanding (34.5) door to door. My trip back home mileage dropped due to traffic (31mpg) on regular gas.
Even my wife said she couldn't believe how comfortable she was on this long a trip.

Randy
Old 08-04-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
All I can say is how comfortable the trip was, never felt leg fatigue and the gas mileage was
outstanding (34.5) door to door. My trip back home mileage dropped due to traffic (31mpg) on regular gas.
Even my wife said she couldn't believe how comfortable she was on this long a trip.

Randy
585 miles is a long trip? Really? Just kidding you! But seriously, my wife and I just completed a long trip, 4275 miles out and back, and I'm happy to report our '17 Maxima was very comfortable for both of us. I'm 6'4" and she's not, but it worked for both of us. I've had many SUVs and trucks over the years, and was skeptical that I could handle the Max for that many miles, but it was a breeze. I do miss the visibility from sitting higher in an SUV, but the much better gas mileage makes up for it for us.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 AM

There's a dealership by me offering about 9K off their 2018 Maximas. They have 24 in stock. Those are some hefty discounts. Brings the S down to about 25,671. I also found another dealership with couple new 2017 S's for $26,435 each. Surprised to see the 2018's lower in price than the 2017 and that's a year old.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Sedan sales have slumped drastically in recent years. Almost everybody in my neighborhood is riving an SUV of some sort. I have been a sedan person since I began driving in 1949 (have never looked twice at any SUV), and will stay with sedans as long as they are being manufactured. My fear is that the current trend of manufacturers simply dropping sedans from their lineup might eventually catch up with the Maxima. If that happens, I might be looking at a Mercedes or BMW sedan. Manufacturers can fill their dealer lots up with SUVs, but they can't make me buy one.
Ditto on that,

I think the SUV craze will die down in time, it'll go the way of the 80s station wagons, and the 90s minivans. i think there will always be a market for a good sedan. Seeing that the 8th gen is selling better than any since the 5th is encouraging. Most of the sedans being dropped from the market are quite uninteresting, and probably deserve to die... Ford Taurus anyone?

Nissan just have to keep doing what their doing with the Max, and don't screw it up (like by putting a 4 cylinder in there). It's already got one strike against it (somewhat unfairly) because of he CVT, a 4 banger would spell the end.

Last edited by Fishlet; 08-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet

Ditto on that,

I think the SUV craze will die down in time, it'll go the way of the 80s station wagons, and the 90s minivans. i think there will always be a market for a good sedan. Seeing that the 8th gen is selling better than any since the 5th is encouraging. Most of the sedans being dropped from the market are quite uninteresting, and probably deserve to die... Ford Taurus anyone?

Nissan just have to keep doing what their doing with the Max, and don't screw it up (like by putting a 4 cylinder in there). It's already got one strike against it (somewhat unfairly) because of he CVT, a 4 banger would spell the end.

I agree that a four cylinder would mean big trouble in selling the Maxima to long-time Maxima fans. I am not a turbo fan. The conversion to a 'CVT only' tranny drove some Maxima fans away, but I have gradually grown to appreciate this new CVT and its 33 MPG. The CVT did mean I had to change the driving habits I had used for over sixty years with automatic and manual trannies, but I feel I have finally adjusted my driving to fit this CVT, and now prefer the CVT over other trannie types. But a turbo four? I hope not.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:40 AM

Truthfully....the only thing that brought me to Nissan ....was when the Altima added the VQ. As of 2019, the Maxima will be the only Sedan option in the Nissan family for me. I do not want a turbo.....and I certainly do not want a 4 cylinder. If I want a 4 cylinder, Ill buy a miata.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Randy
I could not have said it better! Best road car ever that gets great mileage and performs admirably on regular gas
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Truthfully....the only thing that brought me to Nissan ....was when the Altima added the VQ. As of 2019, the Maxima will be the only Sedan option in the Nissan family for me. I do not want a turbo.....and I certainly do not want a 4 cylinder. If I want a 4 cylinder, Ill buy a miata.
Yep, Will move on if Nissan crams in the 4 cylinders on the Maxima!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Father of the 00 VI

if infiniti's are using 4 cyl ...........
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 AM

The trend in the market place is to replace 4 cylinder engines with turbo 4 cylinder engines.
Also eliminate V6 engines where they think it make sense. I'll guess that the Altima V6 sales
have gone down to a number that it no longer pays Nissan to build the Altima with a V6.
The sad story is that these 4 cylinder engines and Turbo 4's don't get much better gas
mileage then my Maxima. My wife has a 2016 Altima and I can tell you around town she averages
about 25 to 27mpg. While my Maxima averages 25 mpg. Highway I seen her Altima go as high
as 38 mpg while my Maxima gives me 34 to 35 mpg. So what are we gaining. I guess it comes down to
cost of building v6 engines verse 4 cylinder turbos. Nissan will be building V6's for the following
Max, 370Z, Murano and Pathfinder. We can only guess where Nissan goes in the future.
I would certainly hope that they continue to make Maxima's and they have V6 engines.

Question - If Nissan could somehow put a all electic motor in the Maxima - would anyone
consider buying one ?

Randy
Old 08-13-2018, 04:57 PM

Just like the CVT with Nissan....the little 4 banger are here to stay.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 PM

Ditto on that,

Vans killed the station wagons. Then gas crisis killed the Vans. Then SUVs replaced the Vans. Next gas crisis will prol. kill the SUVs and "fun trucks".
Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 PM

I never see a Maxima ad. The Maxima is never shown during any Nissan TV commercials. Its the red headed step child of Nissan vehicles. I am considering an SUV for my next vehicle only cause I am getting ready to have my second knee replacement in a few weeks and I find it difficult to get out of the Maxima (for my knees). A higher vehicle like an SUV would be a benefit. That said I love my Max and also find it very comfortable.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Randy
I took two long trips in my 2016 Maxima S - NJ to Dallas in May and NJ to Denver in July. Even with S model and cloth seats, it was really comfortable and was constantly getting over 30 MPG. My parents who are over 60 years old, was comfortable sitting in the back seats for long periods of time. The problem was getting in and out.

I never see a Maxima ad. The Maxima is never shown during any Nissan TV commercials. Its the red headed step child of Nissan vehicles. I am considering an SUV for my next vehicle only cause I am getting ready to have my second knee replacement in a few weeks and I find it difficult to get out of the Maxima (for my knees). A higher vehicle like an SUV would be a benefit. That said I love my Max and also find it very comfortable.
This exactly was the reason why I had to trade in my 2016 Maxima for an SUV (2018 Acura MDX) two weeks ago. My family complained about getting in and out of Maxima. Being an heavy set guy, I never had any issues with getting in and out. Maybe I got used to it. Also with a 9 month old baby, I had no choice but to trade it in for an SUV. Even with SH-AWD and 9 speed tranny in Acura MDX, I miss the excitement I get with Maxima.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by aradhakr84
I miss the excitement I get with Maxima.
Whadda ya mean, you got a SPORT utility vehicle now, you should be having a blast!

Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM

Whadda ya mean, you got a SPORT utility vehicle now, you should be having a blast!

Lol, I should call it FUV (Family utility vehicle) than SUV
Old 08-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by aradhakr84
Lol, I should call it FUV (Family utility vehicle) than SUV
well,your FUV is more fun than ours.... We have a 2017 rouge.... Silver too.... generic as they come ;-)

I think this FUV caze will die down , they are becoming a dime a dozen and market saturated. People will start wanting something different.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by guvadc
well,your FUV is more fun than ours.... We have a 2017 rouge.... Silver too.... generic as they come ;-)

I think this FUV caze will die down , they are becoming a dime a dozen and market saturated. People will start wanting something different.
LOL, mines silver too. My maxima was also silver. Never had any issues with dirt and scratches during my ownership. Decided to do the same for MDX too.

Unfortunately I am not sure if the FUV craze will die down soon. Reason being, there are no intriguing mainstream (non luxury) sedans to attract people over what FUV/SUV is offering. I don't see any drastic changes coming in the future to change people's mind. I am not confident if Nissan will make any drastic changes to its sedan lineup that would make people switch from Rogue/Pathfinder to Altima/Maxima.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
The Juke is replaced by the Kicks. Who comes up with these names?
Still beats the alphanumerics in the other brands. (Except BWM and Mercedes)
Yankee Cowboy Hotdog. I guess they are trying to Americanize the names .Silly Wabbit, Kicks are for kids. It's about as dumb a name as the Soul.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Yep, Will move on if Nissan crams in the 4 cylinders on the Maxima!
Ditto.
When when I was shopping for my 2017 Maxima Platinum, I considered it as the top choice because all the other competitors were sticking those ridiculous Inline 4 cyl turbo's in their sedans. The last thing I need is a high revving car in Florida heat with a turbo that's intercooled. I bet those don't last past 5 years. Look at the Volvo 850 IC. One leak in the turbo cooling hose turned the turbine blades into a metal Salad Shooter.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The trend in the market place is to replace 4 cylinder engines with turbo 4 cylinder engines.
Also eliminate V6 engines where they think it make sense. I'll guess that the Altima V6 sales
have gone down to a number that it no longer pays Nissan to build the Altima with a V6.
The sad story is that these 4 cylinder engines and Turbo 4's don't get much better gas
mileage then my Maxima. My wife has a 2016 Altima and I can tell you around town she averages
about 25 to 27mpg. While my Maxima averages 25 mpg. Highway I seen her Altima go as high
as 38 mpg while my Maxima gives me 34 to 35 mpg. So what are we gaining. I guess it comes down to
cost of building v6 engines verse 4 cylinder turbos. Nissan will be building V6's for the following
Max, 370Z, Murano and Pathfinder. We can only guess where Nissan goes in the future.
I would certainly hope that they continue to make Maxima's and they have V6 engines.

Question - If Nissan could somehow put a all electic motor in the Maxima - would anyone
consider buying one ?

Randy
The I4 Turbo is a terrible idea, especially in hot climates where you're constantly having to rev them up just to get some horsepower and torque out of them. Sedans are becoming less popular and present in manufacturer lineups. So they're willing to underpower them to stay under CAFE standards for their fleet of trucks and SUVs
Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by USP40GUY
Ditto.
When when I was shopping for my 2017 Maxima Platinum, I considered it as the top choice because all the other competitors were sticking those ridiculous Inline 4 cyl turbo's in their sedans. The last thing I need is a high revving car in Florida heat with a turbo that's intercooled. I bet those don't last past 5 years. Look at the Volvo 850 IC. One leak in the turbo cooling hose turned the turbine blades into a metal Salad Shooter.
It's just the opposite. Modern four-cylinder turbos have tons of low-end torque and you don't need to rev them like a V6 to get the power.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by slava
It's just the opposite. Modern four-cylinder turbos have tons of low-end torque and you don't need to rev them like a V6 to get the power.
This really depends on the boost pressure of the individual turbo four. I think the new Accord seems to have figured out where the sweet spot is. I rented a Ford Fusion turbo and really liked its power output. You did, however, have to push it at higher speeds to get the juice. The maxima is just smooth and effortless power without all the heat build up which is the enemy of longevity.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
"Nissan's Maxima, Altima and Versa posted some of the most significant losses for Nissan's car division, with the Maxima down a whopping 53.3 percent."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...les/877893002/

Nissan-specific detail: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...2018-u-s-sales
At my local dealer 70% of all sales are Rogues. That's a bit of a problem. The 2019 Altima AWD might be a hail mary for Nissan at least in snow county. The Max might be on borrowed time.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:32 AM

Terrible. With sales down that low. I cant lie. If I was Nissan, I would probably cancel the next gen Maxima myself. I don't see sales picking up strong for the Maxima any time soon. Would not surprise me if they drop the Maxima and just keep the Altima.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blasterguy
At my local dealer 70% of all sales are Rogues. That's a bit of a problem. The 2019 Altima AWD might be a hail mary for Nissan at least in snow county. The Max might be on borrowed time.

I dont get that...it is not really cheap to buy, and if you ever drove one...it is a pile of crap. My Mother-in-law had a new one as a loaner......absolutely terrible choice.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Rogue is fine as a second vehicle. It Works for getting the groceries, driving teenagers to practice, picnics, picking up lawn and garden supplies, etc.. Just as long as I have a Maxima as a primary driver. If Nissan drops the Maxima, I will still have zero interest in SUVs. Maybe look at BMW or Mercedes or Audi or Mazda, but absolutely would be a sedan. And with Ford dropping their sedans, and GM and Chrysler having been on my 'nono' list for half a century, would mean a non-US company's product.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Terrible sales across the board...There are some dealerships by me currently offering $9K off 2018 Maximas...must be trying to push up sales from last month.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Terrible sales across the board...There are some dealerships by me currently offering $9K off 2018 Maximas...must be trying to push up sales from last month.
That still does not cover the 1st year depreciation of 38%....Sad....
Old 08-24-2018, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
GM and Chrysler having been on my 'nono' list for half a century, would mean a non-US company's product.
Light,

I got a lot more respect for GM than Chrysler... I swear you can see parts falling of the Dodge while it's driving down the road. I enjoyed my Pontiac Grand Prix back in he day

Don't forget about the Kia Stinger, that might be worth a look

Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Light,

I got a lot more respect for GM than Chrysler... I swear you can see parts falling of the Dodge while it's driving down the road. I enjoyed my Pontiac Grand Prix back in he day

I still have people ask, what is a KIA? The "Stinger" monicker is pure boy racer. That said, I'm sure the KIA is a good car, but they are everywhere and do not share the uniqueness we enjoy on a daily basis
Old 08-28-2018, 07:57 AM

Light,

I really enjoyed my Studebakers and Chevys and Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles from the late 1940s through the early 1970s, but dealer service on GM products became so inconsistent and unsatisfactory around the mid 1970s that I switched to Datsun, and have been very happy with Datsun/Nissan service ever since. So much depends on how your dealer/service department treats you.

I lived in South Korea for over a year, and loved the people there. Hyundais are 100% better these days than they were during the 1980s, and Kias are assembled by the thousands in LaGrange GA, not that far from where I am living. But I have owned nothing but Datsun/Nissans for over forty years, and just can't quite bring myself to change, as long as Nissan keeps making the Maxima.

Like many, I am concerned about the Maxima's future. I could not blame Nissan for dropping it, but I would be very sad if that happened.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM

You don't realize just how great 2016+ Maximas are till you begin to cross shop the competition right now only to learn other cars are still behind in value and features. Especially comparing Platinum versions.

Quick Reply: Maxima Sales