8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

HELP NEEDED - 8th Gen Sudden Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation HELP NEEDED - 8th Gen Sudden Failure

Evening Gents.,

I have a 2017 Nissan Maxima, I'm the 1st owner and it has 37K on the odometer. All of a sudden yesterday when I was running it first time on the day there was a noticeable lag with the ignition as if there's something wrong with the battery and it's near dead, did the same during the same day so I decided to go to the service center today morning, what happened is as follows:
1. When I started it this morning everything was normal so I thought it's a glitch and went away
2. Later the day in the evening, it had a little lag and then I decided to go to the center tomorrow morning
3. While I was cruising, I was on reverse mode (R) then back to drive (D) and suddenly it didn't accept any acceleration, only moving on the idle mode as if you're on D but not accelerating --> Check this video
3. I put it on neutral (N), RPM went high, then I put it on D again and it took a while then started to move normally
4. It did the same issue when I stopped again on a parking lot so I had to switch it off then started it again, you will notice the lagging and the needle of the RPM struggling to do the Welcome Effect of the needle sweeping until it got on again --> Check this video
5. Same happened again on the reverse (R) mode --> Check this video
6. I switched it off for an hour or more, I tried to take another cruise with and I didn't face this during this one

So, did anyone faced this issue before and can anyone diagnose it?

Appreciate your help and response!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What happens when you disconnect and reconnect the negative battery terminal? This should reset the ECU and handle any weirdness.

There are no check engine lights right?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kilowhisky
What happens when you disconnect and reconnect the negative battery terminal? This should reset the ECU and handle any weirdness.

There are no check engine lights right?

​​​​​​I didn't do the battery reset to be honest as I wanted to keep it the same in case it has internal errors already recorded so that the service center can check.

Nope, no check engine light came on.

Do u think it's a gearbox thing?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by HElShaer
​​​​​​I didn't do the battery reset to be honest as I wanted to keep it the same in case it has internal errors already recorded so that the service center can check.

Nope, no check engine light came on.

Do u think it's a gearbox thing?
strange, hopefully if you dont have extended warrenty they will honor it since its just shy over 36k. i had something similiar to that at around 35k miles. except i would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen just rpms sky high and no acceleration..then 15 seconds later normal. car acted super laggy. intermittent issue for a week until it completely died. check engine light did not come on when it first started happening until the car finally completely died out on me. 1 week replaced battery first and valve body, worked for 2 days then died again had to replace throttle body and now im fine 10k miles later. hopefully its not that. after that happened i bought a bluetooth odb scanner , well worth it
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by punkfs
strange, hopefully if you dont have extended warrenty they will honor it since its just shy over 36k. i had something similiar to that at around 35k miles. except i would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen just rpms sky high and no acceleration..then 15 seconds later normal. car acted super laggy. intermittent issue for a week until it completely died. check engine light did not come on when it first started happening until the car finally completely died out on me. 1 week replaced battery first and valve body, worked for 2 days then died again had to replace throttle body and now im fine 10k miles later. hopefully its not that. after that happened i bought a bluetooth odb scanner , well worth it
ItsI still under warranty, warranty is untill 100K, but kilometers not miles. But you still don't think it's a gearbox issue? Since it was on Drive mode and not responding?
Just trying to diagnose it and how this can be linked to the ignition issue!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM

ItsI still under warranty, warranty is untill 100K, but kilometers not miles. But you still don't think it's a gearbox issue? Since it was on Drive mode and not responding?
Just trying to diagnose it and how this can be linked to the ignition issue!
oh right, powertrain warrenty. valve body is a part of the transmission. mine was replaced, if it is that it will get worse.
i would take it back in and have them look at it, if its anything like mine its not safe at all. theyll scan it

Last edited by punkfs; 08-28-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 AM

Also, consider replacing the battery. I do believe any hard fault codes will not be erased if the battery is disconnected. My 1st stop would be the dealer though.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 AM

I had the struggle on startup with the needles doing the same thing and it ended up being my battery. I didn't have the problem while driving though. So it sounds like it could be the alternator or the battery but those should be easy enough to have checked out.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Take it to the dealer and take advantage of your warranty....
Old 08-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by punkfs
oh right, powertrain warrenty. valve body is a part of the transmission. mine was replaced, if it is that it will get worse.
i would take it back in and have them look at it, if its anything like mine its not safe at all. theyll scan it
So I just came from the service center and they will chsnge the Valve Body, nothing came on the DTC even when we did a road test and replicated the issue, nothing also appeared. Eventually they came to a conclusion that they will replace the Valve Body. I don't know but I don't feel comfortable with changing this! It's too soon on 37k kilometers 1.8 year car!!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:31 PM

So I just came from the service center and they will chsnge the Valve Body, nothing came on the DTC even when we did a road test and replicated the issue, nothing also appeared. Eventually they came to a conclusion that they will replace the Valve Body. I don't know but I don't feel comfortable with changing this! It's too soon on 37k kilometers 1.8 year car!!
yeah i feel you, i dont know, when i took it in the first time they werent really sure but replaced the valve body anyways. like i said i dont think that was the actual problem since a few days later the whole car died instead of just intermittent problems.. throttle body ended up being the main issue to begin with. but who knows, maybe both actually failed.