8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Strange Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange Indicator Light

Guys,

I have a question. I purchased a used 2017 Nissan Maxima Platinum used, in August of this year. I have just over 22K miles and there is a strange light that flickers on my dash occasionally. It's only happened twice, but its starting to spook me. Have any of you guys ever seen this? It's an orange car with no skid marks or anything trailing it and it happens in a weird part of the dashboard. Notice the red circle on the image I am uploading. Any ideas?

Xavier

The car has flickered twice that I've noticed, but I didn't know there should be an indicator in that position.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:08 AM

The Nissan Maxima Owners manual has this covered.

Instruments and controls 2-13

Security indicator light. This light blinks when the ignition switch is placed in the OFF, LOCK or ACC (if so equipped) position. The blinking security indicator light indicates that the security systems equipped on the vehicle are operational. For additional information, refer to “Security systems” in this section.

And again in 2-38 Instruments and controls

Security indicator light. This light blinks when the ignition switch is placed in the LOCK position with the key removed from the ignition switch. This function indicates the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is operational. If the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is malfunctioning, the light will remain on while the ignition switch is placed in the ON position.

There might be a manual in your glovebox, if not, here is a link to the manual:
https://www.nissan-cdn.net/content/d...ner-manual.pdf

Last edited by RickSmith; 11-22-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith

Security indicator light. This light blinks when the ignition switch is placed in the OFF, LOCK or ACC (if so equipped) position. The blinking security indicator light indicates that the security systems equipped on the vehicle are operational. For additional information, refer to “Security systems” in this section.

Security indicator light. This light blinks when the ignition switch is placed in the LOCK position with the key removed from the ignition switch. This function indicates the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is operational. If the NISSAN Vehicle Immobilizer System is malfunctioning, the light will remain on while the ignition switch is placed in the ON position.

Rick, I would like to thank you and folks like you who go to the extra effort to grab your owner's manuals to help out with questions like this, especially when you just don't direct the fellow/gal member to "Go read your owner's manual". Your time is appreciated. This is what makes this Max site very special. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day today!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by RickSmith

Rick,

Thanks for the reply, however, that's not the light I'm seeing. This is an orange care from the rear, not from the side with a key in it. It is also not in the correct position on the dash. I also forgot to mention, its while i'm driving down the street.

Xavier

Last edited by xsmi; 11-22-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added the part about driving.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Sure its not this.
Page 2-14 owners manual

Slip indicator light
This indicator will blink when the VDC system is operating, thus alerting the driver to the fact that the road surface is slippery and the vehicle is nearing its traction limits. You may feel or hear the system working; this is normal. The light will blink for a few seconds after the VDC system stops limiting wheel spin. The indicator light also comes on when you place the ignition switch in the ON position. The light will turn off after approximately 2 seconds if the system is operational. If the light does
not come on have the system checked. It is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for this service.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Richard66
Sure its not this.
Page 2-14 owners manual

Slip indicator light
This indicator will blink when the VDC system is operating, thus alerting the driver to the fact that the road surface is slippery and the vehicle is nearing its traction limits. You may feel or hear the system working; this is normal. The light will blink for a few seconds after the VDC system stops limiting wheel spin. The indicator light also comes on when you place the ignition switch in the ON position. The light will turn off after approximately 2 seconds if the system is operational. If the light does
not come on have the system checked. It is recommended that you visit a NISSAN dealer for this service.
Richard,

Wouldn't that blink in the tachometer location? I also, don't remember seeing skid marks behind the car. BTW, I HAD looked at the manual, before posting, which is why I don't recognize the light anywhere as a standard Nissan light.

Xavier
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I DO appreciate you guys' help though.

Xavier
Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's the collision warning indicator.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

THANK YOU!! That's it!
Old 11-22-2018, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I totally missed it in the manual because of the PFCW light is in the tach area if you turn it off. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xsmi
I totally missed it in the manual because of the PFCW light is in the tach area if you turn it off. Thanks again.
wait until the whole top of the screen starts flashing red and white for the first time. It can be pretty damn sensitive sometimes though.