8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Genesis G70 vs Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Genesis G70 vs Maxima

I just drove one of these. They're doing nothing on price, so I ran away. But the funniest thing is that the gauge cluster is nearly IDENTICAL to the Maxima. I mean - Korean mfrs are known for copying, but this is silly.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM

This doesn't strike me as looking too similar to the Maxima. They all look pretty similar these days.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by slava
This doesn't strike me as looking too similar to the Maxima. They all look pretty similar these days.
Drive the car. Sit in the car. Look in the car. Read a review online.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Drive the car. Sit in the car. Look in the car. Read a review online.
I did drive the G70 and there is lots to like. The 16 way power seats, 12 way pax seats, projection display etc. As mentioned earlier, my dealer thinks he is doing me a favor by selling me the car! ( At very little discount) Folks it always costs to be 1st!
Conversely there is much I dislike about the G70 (It really is supposed to compare with the Infiniti, but the Maxima is that good!)
The G70 is smaller in the dimensions that matter, narrower, smaller tires (225x19) If you load one of these up-- you are in the low 50's. I also dislike the very visible out of place-clear plastic square behind the G70 grill as well as the Hyundia dash with the "tombstone" GPS interation. Cheap Hyundia all the way! (If you can handle even uglier, there are deals on the G80 that makes that car sell for less) In short, side by side, the 3 year old Maxima design still wins the looks and presence contest. I know, boy racers want to win the 0-60 contest so by all mean s go for it. I can live with 300 hp and 30 plus mpg all on regular!

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-10-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM

But can Hyundai show G70 streaming towards horizon with all fury and colors like Maxima? Lol

Last edited by NisCal17; 01-09-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM

Not really competition IMO. Q50, yes. Maxima, no. G70 is just barely hitting dealerships and it's going to be really popular so it's no surprise they won't budge on price. All the reviews I have seen rave about it, and it's Motor Trend's car of the year.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Not really competition IMO. Q50, yes. Maxima, no. G70 is just barely hitting dealerships and it's going to be really popular so it's no surprise they won't budge on price. All the reviews I have seen rave about it, and it's Motor Trend's car of the year.
Car of the Year? So was the Chevy Vega. G70 won't hurt BMW either
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM

Max has plenty of power, sure it wont do 4.7 seconds 0-60. But getting good MPG in a premium car that comes at least close in performance to cars $15-20k more is unheard of everywhere else. As much as I like the Genesis brand for looks/styling, I can't understand why they don't have great performance coupled with decent MPG. Even Audi's A6 they've tackled that efficiency problem rather well at least on paper...

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I can live with 300 hp and 30 plus mpg all on regular!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Yeah, and so was the Mustang II. Kinda takes away from the credibility of the award.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 AM

My only point was the similarity of the instrument binnacle - gauges and LCD screen.
Wasn't meant to be a car comparison, sorry.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM

My fuel is company paid for, so I take the MPG Factor out. Still, I cannot get past the "Hyundai" part. I fully comprehend that they are fine automobiles, I just can't do it. Does that make me a car snob? Maybe?

Performance is important to me, which is why I went from anemic 2.5L Passat to the Maxima. Next car will definitely have at least 400 hp.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:03 PM

My only point was the similarity of the instrument binnacle - gauges and LCD screen.
Wasn't meant to be a car comparison, sorry.
I would agree that the G70 seems to be copying the Maxima guage cluster.

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-10-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
My fuel is company paid for, so I take the MPG Factor out. Still, I cannot get past the "Hyundai" part. I fully comprehend that they are fine automobiles, I just can't do it. Does that make me a car snob? Maybe?

Performance is important to me, which is why I went from anemic 2.5L Passat to the Maxima. Next car will definitely have at least 400 hp.
I think I could do the Genesis thing.....Dollar for Dollar the Max is the better deal...However, I would prefer to drive the G70, but only the one with the big power.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Hyundia should have dropped all reference to that brand and concentrated on the far better sounding Genesis label. That said who has time to explain "what it is" Genesis..er Hyundia. You still have to go thru the Hyundia dealer to get to the Genesis. For me it's a big ..naahhh!. Any price advantage they had is about gone. You can dismiss fuel costs but 99% of us cannot

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-10-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Hyundia should have dropped all reference to that brand and concentrated on the far better sounding Genesis label. That said who has time to explain "what it is" Genesis..er Hyundia. You still have to go thru the Hyundia dealer to get to the Genesis. For me it's a big ..naahhh!. Any price advantage they had is about gone. You can dismiss fuel costs but 99% of us cannot
Yeah, I'll probably end up in a Coupe from Infinity or Audi. That said, the Bullitt is sounding really good...

No time soon, my 16 Maxima only has 65k miles. I am going to wear it out before I trade.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:19 PM

I just drove one of these. They're doing nothing on price, so I ran away. But the funniest thing is that the gauge cluster is nearly IDENTICAL to the Maxima. I mean - Korean mfrs are known for copying, but this is silly.

Hmmmm ... I really don't think so, but OK, your opinion.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Yeah, and so was the Mustang II. Kinda takes away from the credibility of the award.
I mean if you are stuck in the past, sure.
Another one stuck in the past. Times have changed.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 PM

how the f does that make me stuck in the past? Did you actually read what I wrote?

Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Sounds like you are a boy racer. >> (No CVT for you)
I don't go around corners on 2 wheels (not rims). 0-60 becomes less important when you have enough power @ 300 HP to begin with. Motor Trend uses criteria that really does not apply to those of us average folks cruising cross country and also getting groceries. Todays vehicles come standard with impressive safety features and the Maxima Platinum has it all. Motor trend does not pay for any of their tested cars. If they did, longevity, MPG would be higher in their evaluation mix. Most of the Car of the year selection bear this fact out.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM

how the f does that make me stuck in the past? Did you actually read what I wrote?
"It's still a Hyundai". And? They've come a long way in the last 10 years, they have proven themselves as true competitors. They are winning A LOT of awards and climbing rankings every year, even coming out on top in several for the last few years. (you may not care about these "awards" but manufactures take them VERY seriously) They are not the brand they were in the 90's. If you still think that way, you are stuck in the past.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:55 PM

"It's still a Hyundai". And? They've come a long way in the last 10 years, they have proven themselves as true competitors. They are winning A LOT of awards and climbing rankings every year, even coming out on top in several for the last few years. (you may not care about these "awards" but manufactures take them VERY seriously) They are not the brand they were in the 90's. If you still think that way, you are stuck in the past.
You are either being obtuse to support your poor assumption or your reading comprehension skills are not good.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM

- J.D. Power and Associates rated the Maxima first among large cars in their 2018 Initial Quality Study. The G70 isn’t in the top three in its category.
- The Maxima’s 3.5 DOHC V6 produces 48 more horsepower (300 vs. 252) and 1 lbs.-ft. more torque (261 vs. 260) than the G70 2.0T’s standard 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. The Maxima’s 3.5 DOHC V6 produces 45 more horsepower (300 vs. 255) and 1 lbs.-ft. more torque (261 vs. 260) than the G70 2.0T Sport’s optional 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. As tested in Motor Trend the Nissan Maxima is faster to 60 and 1/4 mile than the G70 2.0T 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. (automatics tested).
- The Maxima has 2.2 gallons more fuel capacity than the G70 (18 vs. 15.8 gallons), for longer range between fill-ups.
- For better traction, the Maxima has larger tires than the G70 (245/45R18 vs. 225/45R18). The Maxima’s tires are larger than the largest tires available on the G70 (245/45R18 vs. 225/40R19).
- The Maxima SL/SR/Platinum uses computer-generated active noise cancellation to help remove annoying noise and vibration from the passenger compartment, especially at low frequencies. The G70 doesn’t offer active noise cancellation.
- The Maxima has a much larger trunk than the G70 (14.3 vs. 10.5 cubic feet).
THE G70 TAPS OUT!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
- J.D. Power and Associates rated the Maxima first among large cars in their 2018 Initial Quality Study. The G70 isn’t in the top three in its category.
- The Maxima’s 3.5 DOHC V6 produces 48 more horsepower (300 vs. 252) and 1 lbs.-ft. more torque (261 vs. 260) than the G70 2.0T’s standard 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. The Maxima’s 3.5 DOHC V6 produces 45 more horsepower (300 vs. 255) and 1 lbs.-ft. more torque (261 vs. 260) than the G70 2.0T Sport’s optional 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. As tested in Motor Trend the Nissan Maxima is faster to 60 and 1/4 mile than the G70 2.0T 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. (automatics tested).
- The Maxima has 2.2 gallons more fuel capacity than the G70 (18 vs. 15.8 gallons), for longer range between fill-ups.
- For better traction, the Maxima has larger tires than the G70 (245/45R18 vs. 225/45R18). The Maxima’s tires are larger than the largest tires available on the G70 (245/45R18 vs. 225/40R19).
- The Maxima SL/SR/Platinum uses computer-generated active noise cancellation to help remove annoying noise and vibration from the passenger compartment, especially at low frequencies. The G70 doesn’t offer active noise cancellation.
- The Maxima has a much larger trunk than the G70 (14.3 vs. 10.5 cubic feet).
THE G70 TAPS OUT!
- The G70 just came out. Can't be ranked when it hasn't been out long enough to be included in it's class. Genesis was #1 for 2018 in initial quality as a brand. (Kia was #2 and Hyundai #3, how 'bout that!?)
- Why are we comparing a V6 car to a 4-cylinder car?
- Meh.
- The G70 pulls 0.95g on the skidpad. Maxima 0.85g. Despite those skinny tires one clearly out handles the other.
- A quiet car doesn't need noise cancellation.
- Pretty obvious that a RWD car would have less trunk space when space is needed for a differential.

Try again.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Thumbs up

-
Try again.
I love that! Good point!!! LMAO
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM

HA. I thought of that too, just as I hit <enter>. I led with my chin didn't I? But I got this info off the internet so it must be true, right?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM

I know the Stinger isn't the exact same car as the G70 but I've read that they are pretty close.

When I test drover a 2.0 Stinger I really liked it and was shocked at how fast it was for a 4 cylinder. My impression was that it is faster off the line than the Maxima and that the Maxima has the advantage when you all ready cruising and then punch it. Now... obviously the 6 cylinder G70 and Stinger would smoke the Maxima but that's out of my price range and the Maxima already puts a smile on my face when I'm at whatever speed and then get on it so I don't feel that I need more.

I didn't like the all black interior on the Stinger, I love that the Max gives you the lighter color up top. Also the panaoramic sun roof with the Maxima is a big plus for me over the Stinger.

As far as handling the difference wasn't enough to matter to me, and the Maxima just "felt" better and the interior seemed nicer and the seat more comfortable.

I will say that I wish the steering wheel came out as far on the Maxima as it does on the Stinger (and I assume the wheel is the same on the G70). I have long legs and like move the seat as far back as it goes which puts the steering wheel a little too far from me in the Maxima.

Not sure about the stereo... I have a feeling it's better in the G70 because the bass is terrible in the Maxima compared to my old Azera.

In the end I bought a Maxima mostly for the fact that - like I said before - it just felt "right" when driving it. The Stinger was shockingly nice though and I hear that the G70 is even a bit nicer than the Stinger.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:01 PM

- The G70 just came out. Can't be ranked when it hasn't been out long enough to be included in it's class. Genesis was #1 for 2018 in initial quality as a brand. (Kia was #2 and Hyundai #3, how 'bout that!?)
- Why are we comparing a V6 car to a 4-cylinder car?
- Meh.
- The G70 pulls 0.95g on the skidpad. Maxima 0.85g. Despite those skinny tires one clearly out handles the other.
- Pretty obvious that a RWD car would have less trunk space when space is needed for a differential.

Try again.
Initial quality means very little to me as I am more concerned 3-4-5 years later. Could be my age but I can't get the Hyundai Pony and early Kia piece of sh_ _ out of my head. Nissan's first serious foray into North America, the Datsun 510 was a superb vehicle all things considered for that time. Living in the very mountainous region of Western Canada, which places unique stresses on vehicles, the local Hyundai dealer has had to replace over half of the engines of 2012 - 2016 Santa Fe's that it sold under warranty. So much for initial quality. And I get that Nissan, Toyota, and Honda have all had their issues as has BMW, Mercedes and especially Audi. The V-6 in the Maxima is second to none...period. Do I have concerns about the build quality of the some components in my Maxima...absolutely. But the drive train is outstanding with a CVT that is pure joy. And I absolutely have biases, but based upon twenty five years of data (and not Consumer Report) which tells me about the culture of a manufacturer, it's Nissan, Toyota, or Honda for me and not Hyundai or Kia, or even Ford, Chevrolet, or Chrysler.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by carp
As far as handling the difference wasn't enough to matter to me, and the Maxima just "felt" better...
Probably because the Maxima still has hydraulic based steering.

Originally Posted by 240tomax
Initial quality means very little to me as I am more concerned 3-4-5 years later. Could be my age but I can't get the Hyundai Pony and early Kia piece of sh_ _ out of my head. Nissan's first serious foray into North America, the Datsun 510 was a superb vehicle all things considered for that time. Living in the very mountainous region of Western Canada, which places unique stresses on vehicles, the local Hyundai dealer has had to replace over half of the engines of 2012 - 2016 Santa Fe's that it sold under warranty. So much for initial quality. And I get that Nissan, Toyota, and Honda have all had their issues as has BMW, Mercedes and especially Audi. The V-6 in the Maxima is second to none...period. Do I have concerns about the build quality of the some components in my Maxima...absolutely. But the drive train is outstanding with a CVT that is pure joy. And I absolutely have biases, but based upon twenty five years of data (and not Consumer Report) which tells me about the culture of a manufacturer, it's Nissan, Toyota, or Honda for me and not Hyundai or Kia, or even Ford, Chevrolet, or Chrysler.
2018 Dependibility study puts both Kia and Hyundai above all 3 of those brands. Genesis isn't ranked yet as it hasn't been around long enough. Don't get me wrong, I've owned many Nissan's over the years and I am still a fan of them but you cannot argue with the improvements that the Koreans have made in the last 5-10 years.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Hurrummph!!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 PM

I completely agree. Hyundia authored so many junk cars to begin with before they even got it somwhat right. Sitting in the G70 while my 2016 Platinum was right beside it gave me a non verbal message about once a Hyundia always a Hyundia Cheap looking dash, tombstone Navi from a Sonata. From the outside, the Maxima also wins in presence and looks. The good news here is that there are still choices in what some say is a dying market segment. I will gladly take the newly refined Maxima and the mile saving CVT at a great deal. Front drive is a real plus here in the midwest too.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM

I haven't checked out the g70 yet, but the original g80 just had a very "old man" vibe. I'm talking analog clock on the dash here. Not there's anything wrong with being an old man, I'm heading there myself, but I really wasn't in the mood to get a car whose interior looks like the Lincoln town car my dad bought 20 years ago.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 PM

I completely agree. Hyundia authored so many junk cars to begin with before they even got it somwhat right. Sitting in the G70 while my 2016 Platinum was right beside it gave me a non verbal message about once a Hyundia always a Hyundia Cheap looking dash, tombstone Navi from a Sonata. From the outside, the Maxima also wins in presence and looks. The good news here is that there are still choices in what some say is a dying market segment. I will gladly take the newly refined Maxima and the mile saving CVT at a great deal. Front drive is a real plus here in the midwest too.
Well stated.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM

I also sat on the G70 and my first impression was the infotainment was right from the Sonata , plus some of the plastic in the interior looked that It came from the Elantra's part bin . From the outside it looks nice but like but it looks copied from Infiniti...
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ALRONDON
I also sat on the G70 and my first impression was the infotainment was right from the Sonata , plus some of the plastic in the interior looked that It came from the Elantra's part bin . From the outside it looks nice but like but it looks copied from Infiniti...
Despite being a similar shape, one is on the dash and the other is in the dash so not sure how you guys can make that comparison on the infotainment. And there are zero parts from the Elantra in the G70...

Old 01-14-2019, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ALRONDON
From the outside it looks nice but like but it looks copied from Infiniti...
That's not a bad thing.....Is it?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 AM

"A quiet car dosn't need noise cancellation" That comment got me to thinking about what is quiet ? Around 60 db is a normal spoken conversation
In the past I have always added sound abatement to the car floors and doors with great results. My Honda and Acuras were road noisy! Our 2016 Maxima had some Fat Mat added in the trunk and under the rear seat with great results. Nissan is saying the new refined 2019 Max has thicker glass (acoustical) so I'm wondering if they added some insulation as well? Each car does need some help to close out the road noise we are subjected to. If Hyundia addresses this it would be a plus.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM

I do not have a Maxima, but I was wondering...Does Nissan put the Same wool sweater fender linings in the Maxima as they do the Altima? I know they reduce noise, but these things suck A$$. I do not know the year they started this.....but, what a bad Idea.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
I do not have a Maxima, but I was wondering...Does Nissan put the Same wool sweater fender linings in the Maxima as they do the Altima? I know they reduce noise, but these things suck A$$. I do not know the year they started this.....but, what a bad Idea.
Yes

Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
What do you dislike about them? I find they really cut down on wheel well noise when driving through heavy rain. I believe that was the intended purpose. If not, then it sure works well for that. I once went for a short drive without them, through a few nasty puddles and gawd what a racket! I put them right back on.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
What do you dislike about them? I find they really cut down on wheel well noise when driving through heavy rain. I believe that was the intended purpose. If not, then it sure works well for that. I once went for a short drive without them, through a few nasty puddles and gawd what a racket! I put them right back on.
Few things-
They hold water
The are a dirt magnet and hold a lot of it
They Sag over time, some fall out.
Snow, ice stick to them.

If you live in a very dry climate, I am sure they would be fine. I do not like them. When I first got my car removed them and undercoated behind them for rust protection due to the moisture retention. I out them back on when I was done and it dried.

Quick Reply: Genesis G70 vs Maxima