8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 > 2019 Platinum Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:05 PM

2016 > 2019 Platinum Reserve

Okay since no one else did it, I did. Great car. Nice enhancements. Some cost cutting.
And to answer my own question - the new one drives a little better thanks to the 19" wheels. Doesn't appear to be abusive - they tweaked the *suspension.
The navigation no longer allows for 3D horizon (angle) adjustment.
But "premium traffic" can now be downloaded from your phone (Wi-Fi) or home (Wi-Fi) instead of XM NavTraffic.

Last edited by lindros2; 01-19-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: freudian slip
Old 01-19-2019, 05:33 PM

I am interested but msrp right now makes me not interested. The end of the year might bite then. Did you have a Platinum before this one? I thought you hated the baboon butt interior? Maybe that was someone else...? Congrats either way. Did you lease or purchase?

Some cost cutting compared to the 2016? Like what? Transmission tweak for better or worse? Do the headlights seem brighter? I noticed they are led reflectors now instead of projectors.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I am interested but msrp right now makes me not interested. The end of the year might bite then. Did you have a Platinum before this one? I thought you hated the baboon butt interior? Maybe that was someone else...? Congrats either way. Did you lease or purchase?

Some cost cutting compared to the 2016? Like what? Transmission tweak for better or worse?
This car is definitely unique - the whole sales team and management was oogling over it.

** sorry - I meant SUSPENSION, not transmission - it’s the the same.

I had a 2016 platinum.
I really like the orange interior color and black headliner - very German.
Leased. Note - it’s a lot more expensive due to poor residual. I knew that going in.

Cost cutting: 360 icon on button looks mismatched. Some panel gaps iffy. There is also a pretty significance upholstery issue that should have been caught at the plant.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Also for those looking at Platinum cars, beware of sketchy factory-added options - right in the Monroney.

Explanation - the interior illumination / lighted kick plate / rear spoiler / floor mat situation adds $2k-3k to the price, and it’s not a “dealer” accessory.

So car buying services like Costco and TrueCar miss this scam.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Looks pretty good. I've got mixed feelings about the changes,but I really like the chrome piece they put on the front bottom (is that called a diffuser too?). I think if they could keep the old front end, but add that one detail... it would be perfect.

i dig the new seat color too

Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 AM

I ordered on Jan 3, a 2019 Platinum loaded (45K) so it will take about 8 weeks. I figure some incentives should appear, other wise I walk away but may forfeit my 500 dollar deposit. My dealer here is doing 5K off the list right now. Congrats on your car. The interior color is subjective and very in sync with many upscale cars. I wanted to go red again but was overuled so its white/black. Currently in a 2016 Plat with 45K on the clock . One other cost cutting thing I saw was the rear middle head rest is now moulded into the seat back. Can you confirm yours is too?

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-21-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I ordered on Jan 3, a 2019 Platinum loaded (45K) so it will take about 8 weeks.
Yeah if you don't order one, you won't be able to get one (what I've heard).

I figure some incentives should appear, other wise I walk away but may forfeit my 500 dollar deposit. My dealer here is doing 5K off the list right now.
Not sure - money factor is rock-bottom right now.

One other cost cutting thing I saw was the rear middle head rest is now moulded into the seat back. Can you confirm your is too?
Yes - head rest is moulded - and it wasn't done properly. At all.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:52 AM

More findings:

1. The bass on the car is a lot stronger. Abusive, even. At zero it's still booming.
2. Surround only works on certain inputs, not all (i.e. not on SiriusXM).
3. Traffic is real wonky. Be careful switching between XM and "Premium" (WiFi-based). It will often stop working completely.
4. There appears to be OTA (over-the-air) updates for the system. Not sure how it works, but it definitely checked.
5. No more SD-card slot for navi. It is updated via WiFi
Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
More findings:

1. The bass on the car is a lot stronger. Abusive, even. At zero it's still booming.
2. Surround only works on certain inputs, not all (i.e. not on SiriusXM).
3. Traffic is real wonky. Be careful switching between XM and "Premium" (WiFi-based). It will often stop working completely.
4. There appears to be OTA (over-the-air) updates for the system. Not sure how it works, but it definitely checked.
5. No more SD-card slot for navi. It is updated via WiFi
#2 What in the world? Why would they remove that feature for satalite radio? I use it in my 17.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 PM

#2 What in the world? Why would they remove that feature for satalite radio? I use it in my 17.
Not sure.
Drivers sound stage does work across all inputs.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM

Not sure.
Drivers sound stage does work across all inputs.

I edit my post way up top on the headlights but don’t think you seen it in time. I was curious how the new headlights are. Do they seem brighter or about the same? Is high beam much improved since being led now? Is the high beam assist any good or do you find it annoying?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM

I edit my post way up top on the headlights but don’t think you seen it in time. I was curious how the new headlights are. Do they seem brighter or about the same? Is high beam much improved since being led now? Is the high beam assist any good or do you find it annoying?
1. Overall brightness -- probably similar / about zero sum game as I had no problem with prior headlights.
2. However, they are definitely more like the Honda/Acura ones (we had a 2014 MDX with the 6-7 LED, and now have a 2019 Honda Odyssey - same idea).
3. High beam is much improved. HOWEVER, with auto headlights, they'll only work when the car allows them to (although you can override by pulling the stalk)
4. So is high beam assist annoying? The 3-5 second delay for them to come on is kind of annoying. We disabled it on the Odyssey.
5. Final comment - the LED *foglights* are much brighter - they have pretty good distance.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 PM

1. Overall brightness -- probably similar / about zero sum game as I had no problem with prior headlights.
2. However, they are definitely more like the Honda/Acura ones (we had a 2014 MDX with the 6-7 LED, and now have a 2019 Honda Odyssey - same idea).
3. High beam is much improved. HOWEVER, with auto headlights, they'll only work when the car allows them to (although you can override by pulling the stalk)
4. So is high beam assist annoying? The 3-5 second delay for them to come on is kind of annoying. We disabled it on the Odyssey.
5. Final comment - the LED *foglights* are much brighter - they have pretty good distance.
Does the car feel any more heavier with the bigger 19 inch wheels? Dealers have no 2019's in yet for I can go test drive one myself. I want to check it out BUT.... I have my eye on a 2019 Toyota Avalon XSE with upgraded JBL sound system 1 model below the Touring for $34,418. I think its a great deal....

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-20-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 AM

Does the car feel any more heavier with the bigger 19 inch wheels? Dealers have no 2019's in yet for I can go test drive one myself. I want to check it out BUT.... I have my eye on a 2019 Toyota Avalon XSE with upgraded JBL sound system 1 model below the Touring for $34,418. I think its a great deal....
Yes absolutely feels heavier with the 19" wheels.
Honest truth - if I were you, I'd take a serious look at the Avalon.
(I just have Nissan loyalty in my blood and dislike Toyotas - that's why we didn't get a Highlander)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM

Yes absolutely feels heavier with the 19" wheels.
Honest truth - if I were you, I'd take a serious look at the Avalon.
(I just have Nissan loyalty in my blood and dislike Toyotas - that's why we didn't get a Highlander)
Looked at the very ugly Avalon but learned they de-conented the top of the line car. No more drivers seat thigh extension, no rear sunshade, can't get panoramic sunroof. God awful tombstone navi with very little screen input options. Once again, just pull your Maxima next to one of these hawgs and you will see how ugly the Avalon is. The upside is that ugly is not selling so there are some great deals on them. I do agree that they are mechanically pretty good though the new tranny has some shifting issues

Old 01-21-2019, 07:03 AM

Do I read this thread title as "2016 is greater than 2019" or "from a 2016 TO a 2019"?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Do I read this thread title as "2016 is greater than 2019" or "from a 2016 TO a 2019"?
I get the impression that it is not a slam dunk improvement. If your happy with the 2016-18, might as well stick with it. I hope to keep my 17 for a good long time.

ive got a friend who recently bought the Avalon (a 2018, not 19... that thing is hideous). It lacks in the style department but seems like a solid car overall. It isn't much of a temptation compared to the Max though

Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I get the impression that it is not a slam dunk improvement. If your happy with the 2016-18, might as well stick with it. I hope to keep my 17 for a good long time.
Correct.
If you have a 2017-18 (note I didn't include 2016), I'd stick with it.

The 19" wheels ride too harsh (and this from a former GT-R and M3 owner).
Seats are nice - hand-stitched like literally looks like some dude made my front passenger seat in his garage.
But I really liked my 2016.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Sorry - my apologies - I meant "from 2016 [to] 2019".
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Sorry - my apologies - I meant "from 2016 [to] 2019".

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Correct.
If you have a 2017-18 (note I didn't include 2016), I'd stick with it.

The 19" wheels ride too harsh (and this from a former GT-R and M3 owner).
Seats are nice - hand-stitched like literally looks like some dude made my front passenger seat in his garage.
But I really liked my 2016.
If you could do it over again and had a 17 or 18. Would you have kept it instead of getting the 19? That was exactly my concerns with the bigger wheels now. Harsher ride and more weight to the vehicle. Sounds like Nissan did not go with really light weight 19’s. The other thing. Not to stir the rumor mill but I really believe it’s likely. The 2021 all new model will be shown next year. This sounds right. This refresh 19 was released in 18 December. They can pop the 20 out December of this year. Then announce all new model next year for 2021 with release in December. That gives the refresh 2 years worth of sales.

RWD/AWD, 8 speed auto or manual offering and finally a stronger VQ V6 offering. My specs.

What we will get most likely.

AWD, VC Turbo 4 banger higher spec then current Altima along with the returning CVT.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-21-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM

If you could do it over again and had a 17 or 18. Would you have kept it instead of getting the 19?

Based on what appears to be severe quality issues, plus a couple things I preferred on the pre-refresh, yes absolutely (would stick with 17/18).
(i.e. navigation maps and cameras both look blurry - almost like you're looking at something remote instead of in the car with you).

RWD/AWD, 8 speed auto or manual offering and finally a stronger VQ V6 offering. My specs.
What we will get most likely.
AWD, VC Turbo 4 banger higher spec then current Altima along with the returning CVT.
I can assure you - based on sources inside Nissan - you will not get either of these.​ The Maxima will be very different - if even around for a 9th generation.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Based on what appears to be severe quality issues, plus a couple things I preferred on the pre-refresh, yes absolutely (would stick with 17/18).
(i.e. navigation maps and cameras both look blurry - almost like you're looking at something remote instead of in the car with you).

I can assure you - based on sources inside Nissan - you will not get either of these.​ The Maxima will be very different - if even around for a 9th generation.
Nissan said all new generation is under way. I believe it. It makes me sad to think it could be the last because of the suv/truck craze. I hope the Maxima never goes away. The name plate is so strong. I remember back in the day all you would see is Accord, Camry and Maxima on the roads. Nissan needs to go back to its older Maxima roots. Bring back that old crowd they lost over the years. I will give Nissan credit hiding and being so tight lip with the next gen Maxima. If we get none of that what I suggested and sources point to other things. I am worried but excited at the same time.

An all electric Maxima would be quite the shock.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 PM

Here's a shocker: it's likely that you've already seen the new Maxima. Very recently...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Here's a shocker: it's likely that you've already seen the new Maxima. Very recently...
Which one?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Looks pretty good. I've got mixed feelings about the changes,but I really like the chrome piece they put on the front bottom (is that called a diffuser too?). I think if they could keep the old front end, but add that one detail... it would be perfect.

i dig the new seat color too

I don't like the rounded look of the front and the V-motion grill lacks the depth of the previous one. The front reminds me of the Altima, three refreshers ago.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:21 AM

Which one?
FattiesGoneWild, I think R1600Turbo is referring to this:

Nissan IMs EV Sports Sedan concept makes world debut at 2019 North American International Auto Show: https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...w?page=1&query

Nissan transforms traditional sedan design with IMs concept: https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...2?page=1&query

Nissan’s IMs concept: Introducing the ‘elevated sports sedan’: https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...2?page=1&query

Last edited by sschumer; 01-22-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Fix type size