8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

How many miles on your Maxima and what problems have you had with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation How many miles on your Maxima and what problems have you had with it?

Hello!

I own a 2017 Nissan Maxima with 22K miles and I am trying to gauge the reliability of the car. How many miles do you guys/gals have on your car and what issues have you had with it? Electronics going out, engine issues, or CVT problems?

I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I just want to get a safe state of mind that I made a good investment.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:06 AM

I hope your 8th gen maxima is as trouble free as my 2009 SV Sport with 80K miles. So far the only thing changed is tires and after the first 5 years I changed the OEM battery before it died. There have been no squeeks, rattles or failures. This car has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM

I had a problem with the casing on the steering column where it separated, that was repaired easily, and there have been little hiccups with Apple CarPlay, but nothing lately. Other than that, no other issues at 33k. It's been great.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 AM

35K only oil change.

I’ve replaced fallowing:
1) Cabin filter 2 times each at 15K
2) Engine air filter at 30K.
3) Wiper Blades at 30K.

Other than that nothing else. I have to check brake pads soon they seems ok but I went to replace those myself and apply some quality grease for the shims became they pop.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM

66,000- Zero issues

I need to have the front rotors turned.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM

sold the car @ around 57-60k miles.

had to have valve body and throttle body replaced @ 30k. other than that the car ran perfect
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 PM

A little over 12k now bought brand new.

1. Recent recall fixed for brakes.
2. Whole nav/audio replaced from bad map update.
3. Steering wheel replaced from creaking.
4. Clock spring replaced which was unnecessary they thought that was the cause of the creaking initially.
5. Front radar sensor replaced.
6. Drivers side seat replaced do to faulty motor.
7. Two alignments needed since steering wheel was replaced. They got it right this time recently.
8. Driver side seat replacement came loose. They retorque all the bolts again and has been fine since.
9. Drivers side door seal replaced from tearing by itself.

Despite this. I still enjoy the car and like it. Just disappointed to have had those issues and did not expect them.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-23-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
A little over 12k now bought brand new.

1. Recent recall fixed for brakes.
2. Whole nav/audio replaced from bad map update.
3. Steering wheel replaced from creaking.
4. Clock spring replaced which was unnecessary they thought that was the cause of the creaking initially.
5. Front radar sensor replaced.
6. Drivers side seat replaced do to faulty motor.
7. Two alignments needed since steering wheel was replaced. They got it right this time recently.
8. Driver side seat replacement came loose. They retorque all the bolts again and has been fine since.
9. Drivers side door seal replaced from tearing by itself.

Despite this. I still enjoy the car and like it. Just disappointed to have had those issues and did not expect them.

Holy crap man! This is one of the reasons that I really like to buy used. Hopefully the first owner took care of most warranty work on a lemonish car. I hope that's it for you, you are due to have nothing go wrong for a long time I would think.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by carp
Holy crap man! This is one of the reasons that I really like to buy used. Hopefully the first owner took care of most warranty work on a lemonish car. I hope that's it for you, you are due to have nothing go wrong for a long time I would think.
I hear ya. It’s not like all of that happened at once. Just over time. New car kinks eh lol. On the other hand our last 5 cars happened to be Honda Accords. All bought brand new with zero issues. Never had to take them in for any warranty work. Previous car was bought brand new 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ. With in first 200 miles had an electrical problem. Lost all electronics with nav unit instrument cluster etc. That was fixed. Then shortly after the electronic parking brake was failing. It would stick off and on. They had to replace the computer module that controlled it.

This why I was looking at the Accord or Avalon. But, I did not like the Accord Touring 2.0t on a test run. Jerky transmission and felt cheap inside. Sat in a loaded Avalon Touring and did not even get past that to test drive. It felt and looked so cheap inside for the money. I tell you the Maxima is the best kept secret when you start cross shopping.

I just wish the cabin space was better like those other cars. Maxima is smaller inside but the comfort is incredible. I hear the new Altima is great for comfort as well and more room. But, who wants to step down to a Altima when you have a Maxima.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 01-23-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Veosyn
Hello!

I own a 2017 Nissan Maxima with 22K miles and I am trying to gauge the reliability of the car. How many miles do you guys/gals have on your car and what issues have you had with it? Electronics going out, engine issues, or CVT problems?

I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I just want to get a safe state of mind that I made a good investment.

Thanks!
So far, so good with mine, I bought used with 8k miles, and am now one year later am almost at 20k

Your question is hard to answer because the current generation has only been around a few years, Anyone who has high miles must have been doing lots of highway miles, but those are easier on a car

i posted a similar question as yours over in the 7th gen forum and got a number of folks reply with 150k+ miles, so it seems quite possible that this car can last too.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM

I too was wondering the same OP. So far, approaching my 3rd oil change at 15K. The only issues thus far have been replacing both side c-pillar molding strips. Other than that, this thing runs and drives great.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Veosyn
Hello!

Thanks!
'17SL, Coulis, bought new. Have 22,000 miles. So far: Left rear B-pillar black trim replaced, recent ABS recall done, from time to time lose XM radio station icons for up to 20 minutes and ability to tune when this happens (dealer can't recreate so can't fix). That's it. Best car I've ever owned.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM

2016 Maxima Platinum, 43k miles.
Very reliable, problems listed below.
1. Randomly exploding sunroof while under warranty, Nissan repaired.
2. Seat memory doesn’t work on switches, but does work with keys. Nissan replaced the module once, still defective.
3. Brakes. These cars were clearly under-equipped in the brake department. Finally put a more performance set on for $400 (front pads and rotors)
4. Remote start. Occasionally fails to start. (It’s also very picky, all doors must be closed completely, neither of the keys may be in the vehicle)
5. Start lag. RARELY it struggles to start, but will start and resume normal starting next time.
6. Had a random transmission slip yesterday under heavy acceleration. Never happened before and hasn’t happened again, I’ll keep an eye on it.
7. I’ve also occasionally had the XM lockout issue. On start it will be stuck on a channel, no channel icons, unable to change channel.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 573dave
2. Seat memory doesn’t work on switches, but does work with keys. Nissan replaced the module once, still defective.
3. Brakes. These cars were clearly under-equipped in the brake department. Finally put a more performance set on for $400 (front pads and rotors)
4. Remote start. Occasionally fails to start. (It’s also very picky, all doors must be closed completely, neither of the keys may be in the vehicle)
5. Start lag. RARELY it struggles to start, but will start and resume normal starting next time.
6. Had a random transmission slip yesterday under heavy acceleration. Never happened before and hasn’t happened again, I’ll keep an eye on it.
7. I’ve also occasionally had the XM lockout issue. On start it will be stuck on a channel, no channel icons, unable to change channel.
You are kidding about being reliable, right?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:26 PM

3. No. 60-0 in 125'- Motorweek/ 122'-Motor Trend/
4- not a flaw
Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
You are kidding about being reliable, right?
with the exception of the sunroof, my Infiniti FX35 has way more, EXPENSIVE issues. (Driver window motor $400, power steering rack $2700, driver heated/cooled seat failed, quoted at $700 and did not fix and many more)
Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
3. No. 60-0 in 125'- Motorweek/ 122'-Motor Trend/
4- not a flaw
for a single stop sure, but I had to turn the rear rotors at 27k, front rotors at 35k. Massive brake shake. I do drive quick, but I’m no teenager.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM

for a single stop sure, but I had to turn the rear rotors at 27k, front rotors at 35k. Massive brake shake. I do drive quick, but I’m no teenager.
btw brake shake has been there always. Under critical conditions it will shake so much the whole car is like ��

Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM

60,000 miles, not a single issue. (Just had the dealer evacuate/refill the CVT fluid at the 60K mile service).
Old 01-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17

btw brake shake has been there always. Under critical conditions it will shake so much the whole car is like ��

https://youtu.be/b-xbLfH2xa4
Wow that video is insane in slow motion. So yes, I upgraded the pads and rotors to something a little more performance oriented. Even the adaptive cruise control would cause the car to shake if some idiot doing 10 under got in front of me.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM

2017.5 Platinum- 11,000 Miles, the only issue I have is the consistent error message: Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction
The front bumper is clean and never had any accidents . Waiting for the next oil change to drop it off at the Dealer. Hope they do some calibration or something, due to the fact that I know someone with a Nissan Sentra with the same issue but they never fix it. But maybe the Maxima has a different system
Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ALRONDON
2017.5 Platinum- 11,000 Miles, the only issue I have is the consistent error message: Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction
The front bumper is clean and never had any accidents . Waiting for the next oil change to drop it off at the Dealer. Hope they do some calibration or something, due to the fact that I know someone with a Nissan Sentra with the same issue but they never fix it. But maybe the Maxima has a different system
Had the same problem recently. They replaced the front radar sensor and it’s been fine since.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM

It's the internet forums.
You will hear people who have no problems, or a lot of problems.
Your best gauge to talk to a Nissan service tech.
(generally speaking, the drivetrain is reliable, and recalls cover the ABS thing + fuel/evap)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

I hear ya. It’s not like all of that happened at once. Just over time. New car kinks eh lol. On the other hand our last 5 cars happened to be Honda Accords. All bought brand new with zero issues. Never had to take them in for any warranty work. Previous car was bought brand new 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ. With in first 200 miles had an electrical problem. Lost all electronics with nav unit instrument cluster etc. That was fixed. Then shortly after the electronic parking brake was failing. It would stick off and on. They had to replace the computer module that controlled it.

This why I was looking at the Accord or Avalon. But, I did not like the Accord Touring 2.0t on a test run. Jerky transmission and felt cheap inside. Sat in a loaded Avalon Touring and did not even get past that to test drive. It felt and looked so cheap inside for the money. I tell you the Maxima is the best kept secret when you start cross shopping.

I just wish the cabin space was better like those other cars. Maxima is smaller inside but the comfort is incredible. I hear the new Altima is great for comfort as well and more room. But, who wants to step down to a Altima when you have a Maxima.
I own a 2017 Maxima SL. It was in the shop a couple of weeks ago for a transmission torque seal leak. I was put into a 2019 Altima. As awesome as the Altima was as far as cabin space and technology upgrades (lane assist, drive assist, Android Auto, etc.), I'd NEVER step down to an Altima if I can help it. The Maxima feels better, more solidly built imo. And I've owned 2 Altimas in the past (2005 & 2011)...
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by dbut82
I own a 2017 Maxima SL. It was in the shop a couple of weeks ago for a transmission torque seal leak. I was put into a 2019 Altima. As awesome as the Altima was as far as cabin space and technology upgrades (lane assist, drive assist, Android Auto, etc.), I'd NEVER step down to an Altima if I can help it. The Maxima feels better, more solidly built imo. And I've owned 2 Altimas in the past (2005 & 2011)...
Where is the torque seal on the transmission? Im not familiar with it.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by candt
Where is the torque seal on the transmission? Im not familiar with it.
Between the transmission and the engine is what I was told
Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dbut82
Between the transmission and the engine is what I was told
Ok, gotcha. I had a leak where the two halves of the CVT case meet, and they initially were going to take the CVT out and re-seal it, but they called their tech line, and they were advised to replace the CVT instead. I just happened to notice some fluid there when I was changing the oil.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
It's the internet forums.
You will hear people who have no problems, or a lot of problems.
Your best gauge to talk to a Nissan service tech.
(generally speaking, the drivetrain is reliable, and recalls cover the ABS thing + fuel/evap)
Great take on the Maxima. In 45000 miles I have had a CVT valve replacement, ABS master cylinder recall. I also had 2 scraped wheels (driver error) and a door ding removed successfully by paintless dent removal guy. Still on original brakes: front and rear.
While this is not a reliability issue, if you have the optional side rocker panels, be sure the techs working on your car never lift it till the lift arm veritcal pegs are raised so the lift side arms don't crack the rockers!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 SL with 86k
Old 02-26-2019, 04:13 PM

My 2017.5 SR has almost 49K now, I haven't had any significant issues with it. Brakes are squeaky, but dealer says they are good still and I think this is common on these cars (and other Nissans). Tires still have plenty of tread, surprisingly. I get a rattle from under the car at highway speeds under certain circumstances, just haven't had it investigated yet because it only happens when the wind blows strongly from the driver's side.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 PM

2017 SL, 32,475. Other than that darn rattle from the two trunk rods....ZERO issues thank God! considering getting a 2019 SR IN A FEW MONTH'S.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Dee
I too was wondering the same OP. So far, approaching my 3rd oil change at 15K. The only issues thus far have been replacing both side c-pillar molding strips. Other than that, this thing runs and drives great.
That's kinda funny. Just got my 18 maxima last Friday and the molding is falling off one of the pillars. Made an appt for next week, they better not charge me to fix that

Last edited by Steptide; 02-28-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:18 PM

Agree with this assessment
Old 02-28-2019, 06:45 PM

2016 SR 42000 miles when I brought it.
changed out the brakes to a softer higher end brakes.
changed out tires to Pirelli tire, Hated the Goodyears got a great deal on the Pirelli's
resanded the whole car and clayed out the whole car will put on a polish this spring.
added note came with one year bumper to bumper no extra charges. and certified 100000 Warranty
Old 03-01-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by doug4cad
2016 SR 42000 miles when I brought it.
changed out the brakes to a softer higher end brakes.
changed out tires to Pirelli tire, Hated the Goodyears got a great deal on the Pirelli's
resanded the whole car and clayed out the whole car will put on a polish this spring.
added note came with one year bumper to bumper no extra charges. and certified 100000 Warranty
A few people have mentioned the Goodyear tires. We're these the factory tires in previous years? My 18 came with continental procontact, which seem decent, at least so far
Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 AM

‘16 @ 120k.
no mechanical issues yet.
creaking and rattling plastic - no biggie
replaced cvt, brake fluid @ 115k
7.5k oil change interval
just replaced original rear pads (~2mm left)
front pads replaced waaay early
Old 03-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
That's kinda funny. Just got my 18 maxima last Friday and the molding is falling off one of the pillars. Made an appt for next week, they better not charge me to fix that
Hopefully the part is in stock..should be since it happens alot. Should be an N/C
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
‘16 @ 120k.
7.5k oil change interval
Holy cow, your the first person I've seen to put that many miles on an 8th gen, Do you commute cross country everyday?

Did you mean you replaced your CVT, or was it just the CVT fluid???

Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet

Holy cow, your the first person I've seen to put that many miles on an 8th gen, Do you commute cross country everyday?

Did you mean you replaced your CVT, or was it just the CVT fluid???

Very good question. Just the fluid, or the whole transmission?
Old 03-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
‘16 @ 120k.
7.5k oil change interval
This is excellent to hear. With regard to the wear items I can expect many more miles on mine before needing to do things like brakes. Impressive amount of miles in only 3+ years, and I thought I did a lot of miles! (49K in about 20 months)

Quick Reply: How many miles on your Maxima and what problems have you had with it?