8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2019 Maxima Platinum is home! What is improved?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 PM

2019 Maxima Platinum is home! What is improved?

To begin with I did get a fair lease deal with roughly the same payment as with my just departed 2016 Plat. And this 2019 sticker'd for 3 grand more ($45690)

Observations so far:

This car is noticeably quieter! Maybe its more insulation and heavier glass.
The Smart part of the cruise can be defeated if you need to!
The Bose system has more Bass punch but still not audiophile quality. Good enough for me though.
The 19s seem to ride ok. Has Goodyear tires. Did have to reduce tire pressure back to 35 lbs on each corner.
The updated LED lights, front and rear look great. though I don't see any higher light throw in front.
Finally I can vertically adjust the front passenger seat! Something not possible on the departed 2016 Plat
I like the rear end, fake quads and all. I ordered the rear diffuser and it looks great! (Sorry a pic will be posted later)
Navigation interface has been improved allowing views down to 1/64th. In general the are more screen buttons to get things done without paging through menus.
Getting used to the "big Brother" steering wheel nudges is the system thinks I am wonder across lane lines.
Speed sign recognition camera works fast and accurate.
This car still has a spare tire and jack standard! Something Acura Owners do not get!
I appreciate know there are outboard rear passender side air bags (in addition to the curtain airbags)
Also Kudos to Nissan for adding front knee airbags on both sides (hopefully never to be used)
Current getting 30 mpg on the highway with just 180 miles on the clock. (On regular always)
For Lindros, my rear seat upholstery came through without the uneveness you experienced around the middle headrest boster.
The heated steering wheel seems very slow to heat up and not as warm as the 2016. It may be my 1st squalk.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:38 PM

Congrats on the 19. It’s good to hear about it being quieter. That is one of the big complaints I have with my 2017. It’s really noisy especially on the highway. Most people say it’s the tires but I’m not ready to spend money on new ones yet. This is my biggest gripe with my Maxima.

Can you zoom in and out in the weather map using the **** in the console? One of my more minor complaints with the 2017 model.

Also, did they put a handle above the drivers side window? I really miss that.

I imagine you have SXM (at least a trial anyway). If so, did they make it easier to hunt for sports games via the information selection on the main screen? You tap the information icon, then sports, then you can search for a game, like an MLB game. In my car, you have to search by AL East, or AL Central. They don’t just list all the mlb team’s in a list. I wondered if they changed that in the 2019.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gator5000e
Congrats on the 19. It’s good to hear about it being quieter. That is one of the big complaints I have with my 2017. It’s really noisy especially on the highway. Most people say it’s the tires but I’m not ready to spend money on new ones yet. This is my biggest gripe with my Maxima.

Can you zoom in and out in the weather map using the **** in the console? One of my more minor complaints with the 2017 model.

I imagine you have SXM (at least a trial anyway). If so, did they make it easier to hunt for sports games via the information selection on the main screen? You tap the information icon, then sports, then you can search for a game, like an MLB game. In my car, you have to search by AL East, or AL Central. They don’t just list all the mlb team’s in a list. I wondered if they changed that in the 2019.
Just curious, how do access the weather map?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Tap information, then there is a weather block that pops up. Tap that and you will see 5 day forecast and a map option. Tapping the map should Bring up the map. Now I have the SXM traffic and weather so maybe that is why I have the option if you don’t see it.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Tap information, then there is a weather block that pops up. Tap that and you will see 5 day forecast and a map option. Tapping the map should Bring up the map. Now I have the SXM traffic and weather so maybe that is why I have the option if you don’t see it.
Thanks! I'm just new to the maxima so I don't know how to do everything just yet
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 PM

i do do believe it’s the tires as well. The rock hard Conti’s are loud and just suck overall. I can’t wait to replace them with quality tires.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Congratulations on the 2019 Rob! I’ve been wondering if they’d give you a decent deal. Sounds like they did. Also, thanks for your initial thoughts on the new Max. That’s helpful!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Congrats!

Glad you were able to stick with the Maxima, I know it was in doubt for a while. Hopefully this one will treat you as well and even better than the last

Old 03-02-2019, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
This car is noticeably quieter! Maybe its more insulation and heavier glass.
The Smart part of the cruise can be defeated if you need to!
The Bose system has more Bass punch but still not audiophile quality. Good enough for me though.
Finally I can vertically adjust the front passenger seat! Something not possible on the departed 2016 Plat
Getting used to the "big Brother" steering wheel nudges is the system thinks I am wonder across lane lines.
Speed sign recognition camera works fast and accurate.
The heated steering wheel seems very slow to heat up and not as warm as the 2016. It may be my 1st squalk.
Couple things:
1. The quieter part is due to active noise cancellation (via Bose speakers). However, after 1000 miles, both of my front windows are "chattering" - and it's not even cold here.
2. My smart cruise control jams the brakes, and then accelerates. I have to see if the dealer can adjust it.
3. Forgot about vertical passenger seat - I feel like every mid-cycle refresh has this, and most of the time I've missed it. Then again, my prior two cars (pre-Maxima) were BMW 5-series with 18/20-way Comfort seats, so...
4. The lane assist blows compared to my Honda Odyssey. The Honda actively steers and can recognize lanes. The Maxima does a poor job, AND hits the brakes once it detects wandering out of lanes.
5. It's not speed sign recognition (i.e. Audi, Mercedes, Genesis, etc.). It's strictly the speed sign data from the map.
(you can turn off the speed sign info in the gauge cluster, since it tends to only be about 75-80% correct in my area. Then again, the 2016 was about 50% correct)
6. Heated steering wheel is definitely more subtle. The 2016 could have cooked pancakes it got so hot. Probably a running change or different supplier.

The sports score stuff is a disaster. It's worse than the old way, but still the same hunting around.
There is now an overall "favorite team" and "favorite weather city" on the main SiriusXM audio channel page.
NEITHER work (my city isn't listed, and my sports team never has alerts even when the game is active).

The weather map is a little better if I recall. The 2016 was dicey (I had it all along - subscribed to All Access + Traffic + Weather for $177/yr).
Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 AM

Also Rob - did you notice the new trunk access "plunger" - you can put the seat down from inside the car (in addition to the two release straps from the trunk).
HOWEVER... does this lock?
Or is it a vulnerability (like you can break into car and access the trunk without a key)?
Old 03-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To begin with I did get a fair lease deal with roughly the same payment as with my just departed 2016 Plat. And this 2019 sticker'd for 3 grand more ($45690)
Would you be willing to share the deal you got?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maxman200
Would you be willing to share the deal you got?
NON NEGOTIABLE STUFF
I can tell you that in January the MF was nearly zero (0.00003).
(So was Genesis - actually as low as 0.00002 on the 3.3T or 2.0T, can’t remember.)
The residual is 48-49%. Dealer and origination fees are $1000 or so. Tax varies by state. Mine is now on all payments and multiple security deposits.

YOU CAN NEGOTIATE
Figure that you can negotiate maybe 5-6k off a platinum without add-on’s or similar raw amount off SR, SV, etc...

Run the numbers and you get $475-525/mo with zero down. All in.
(Over life of lease, that’s $17,100-18,900 —for an SR premium or platinum / not reserve)
Old 03-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2

NON NEGOTIABLE STUFF
I can tell you that in January the MF was nearly zero (0.00003).
(So was Genesis - actually as low as 0.00002 on the 3.3T or 2.0T, can’t remember.)
The residual is 48-49%. Dealer and origination fees are $1000 or so. Tax varies by state. Mine is now on all payments and multiple security deposits.

YOU CAN NEGOTIATE
Figure that you can negotiate maybe 5-6k off a platinum without add-on’s or similar raw amount off SR, SV, etc...

Run the numbers and you get $475-525/mo with zero down. All in.
(Over life of lease, that’s $17,100-18,900 —for an SR premium or platinum / not reserve)
This is accurate. I was able to get about $8000 off on my 18 sv. Both the 19s and 18s had discounts, but the 18s had larger discounts. I couldnt turn down a $360 payment per month on the 18sv vs a $475 payment on a 19sv.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:11 PM

With $3000 total out of pocket including all taxes, plates, plus rubber winter floor mats, rubber trunk tray etc the monthly was $450 with 15,000 miles per year.(36 months)
What was interesting is that the residual is around 22K for the 2019. For my 2016 Plat, Nissan Finance wanted almost 23K for a buy out, yet the trade in prices I see for that car were closer to 17-18K. Glad I leased!
Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM

With $3000 total out of pocket including all taxes, plates, plus rubber winter floor mats, rubber trunk tray etc the monthly was $450 with 15,000 miles per year.(36 months)
What was interesting is that the residual is around 22K for the 2019. For my 2016 Plat, Nissan Finance wanted almost 23K for a buy out, yet the trade in prices I see for that car were closer to 17-18K. Glad I leased!
Residual values on cars are horrendous nowadays with crossovers being the big sellers. This maxima is my 4th lease and the residual value after 3 years is around 15k. That's absurd. Sticker price of $36k and a value of $15k after 3 years. Granted the 18s value have dropped more with the 19s being out . Still, cars are not holding their value anywhere near what they used to
Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 PM

5. It's not speed sign recognition (i.e. Audi, Mercedes, Genesis, etc.). It's strictly the speed sign data from the map.

I think I'm correct as the 2019 owners manual points out the camera mounted up near the rear view mirror that is used to read the actual speed limit signs. I realize our 2016s had a speed sign info in the dash display that was linked to the GPS database and that was often wrong.
The newest version "reads" the sign via the camera and updates that on the dash read out however it also reverts to the GPS data base if it cannot update frequently. I checked this out moving from some temporary road construction speed signs which varied from 35 to 45 to 55 and the car dash read outs were correct shifting up and down as the actual signs appeared.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
Residual values on cars are horrendous nowadays with crossovers being the big sellers. This maxima is my 4th lease and the residual value after 3 years is around 15k. That's absurd. Sticker price of $36k and a value of $15k after 3 years. Granted the 18s value have dropped more with the 19s being out . Still, cars are not holding their value anywhere near what they used to
I sure agree with what you say. As first glance you might think it is a Nissan depreciation issue, but I was cross shopping Acura TLX and Toyota Avalon, each loaded to the gills with $45-46 stickers. The TLX came in @ $495 monthly and the Avalon at $475 monthly with 15,000 miles and 36 months. The Genisis G70 was up over $700, same miles and downpayment. It also stickered at 54K . Not a great experience with Hyundia ...ERR...Genesis dealerships here1
Old 03-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Congrats!

Glad you were able to stick with the Maxima, I know it was in doubt for a while. Hopefully this one will treat you as well and even better than the last

Thanks for the kind words. One thing I want to be sure everyone knows is that the 2016-2018 Maximas are still the standard when it come to great cars for the money. Some might say I paid a bunch to go with a 2019, given the remarkable 2018 deals out there and I would agree. I was just ready for the 2019 after having the 2016 for 40 months. It was kind of sad to part with the 2016 given the fine service it has given us over that time.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Also Rob - did you notice the new trunk access "plunger" - you can put the seat down from inside the car (in addition to the two release straps from the trunk).
HOWEVER... does this lock?
Or is it a vulnerability (like you can break into car and access the trunk without a key)?
No I did not. Can you fill me in on where to look for this plunger?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
Congratulations on the 2019 Rob! I’ve been wondering if they’d give you a decent deal. Sounds like they did. Also, thanks for your initial thoughts on the new Max. That’s helpful!
As you know, there are always better deals out there but after cross shopping many cars, I kept coming back to the Maxima which is equipped very well for the money involved. Plus I still can get 30+ mpg on Regular consistantly. Thanks for the note!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Strange you mentioned that headliner handle. Sorry to say it remans missing on the 2019 drivers side.
One thing I always do is add insulation under the rear seat for even more quietness. I used foam carpet padding. The rear seat is easy to remove by pulling out a slide clip on each side of the seat just above the footwell
Old 03-02-2019, 01:14 PM

I sure agree with what you say. As first glance you might think it is a Nissan depreciation issue, but I was cross shopping Acura TLX and Toyota Avalon, each loaded to the gills with $45-46 stickers. The TLX came in @ $495 monthly and the Avalon at $475 monthly with 15,000 miles and 36 months. The Genisis G70 was up over $700, same miles and downpayment. It also stickered at 54K . Not a great experience with Hyundia ...ERR...Genesis dealerships here1
Even camrys, accords etc don't hold their value anymore. My previous car was a camry so before the maxima was even a thought in my head, I was looking at similar cars (maxda 6,, accord, altima and so on) and the leases on these cars were just as bad(value wise) . Problem is residual values have gone way down while auto makers are keeping the prices the same or raising them
Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 AM

Had another "Aha" moment last night when I discovered the ambient lighting can actually be seen at night! Thats the light strips behind the passenger dash panel as well as the front door panel accents on both sides. I had to turn up the intensity via the settings control but it is far more visible than my 2016.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Had another "Aha" moment last night when I discovered the ambient lighting can actually be seen at night! Thats the light strips behind the passenger dash panel as well as the front door panel accents on both sides. I had to turn up the intensity via the settings control but it is far more visible than my 2016.
It's "whiter" on the 2019.
The 2016 was more "orange", which made it tough to see.
Our Honda Odyssey is "blue", so it's more visible, but not obnoxious like Hyundai.