8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Start of CVT transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Start of CVT transmission issues?

Pulling into Staples and going 10 mph or so. I let off the gas and it threw us back then lurched forward. Scared the crap out of us and never happened before. A few months back while accelerating we felt a bang and wondered wth was that about. So starting to wonder if this is the start of transmission issues? Some times when I let if the gas I can feel a slight bang.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Pulling into Staples and going 10 mph or so. I let off the gas and it threw us back then lurched forward. Scared the crap out of us and never happened before. A few months back while accelerating we felt a bang and wondered wth was that about. So starting to wonder if this is the start of transmission issues? Some times when I let if the gas I can feel a slight bang.
had something like that happen to me at 30k miles, ended up being the valve body. had it replaced under warrenty. good luck. but i had a combination of things go bad in that 1 week. intitally i heard a loud bang sound and the car was limp when i pressed the throttle then all of a sudden after i let off the gas it lurched forward and i almost rear ended someone. took it in, valve body replaced, car drove great for like 5 days, then the car started spazzing out again, felt like almost the same issue. this time it was the throttle body. dont know why both of those things happened in a week but 2 years after that had no more issues

Last edited by punkfs; 03-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was actually going to create a similar thread. Lately, my car has been having this kind of shaking/vibrating as I'm accelerating from a stop. Let's say, I'm at a red light, then the light turns green...I hit the gas. As it starts to approach 20 MPH, there's this shaking vibration that happens momentarily (seemingly as it's switching gears). The only thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, but it's starting to happen enough to notice. Also, it doesn't happen higher up in speed...only in the 20MPH range.

Is this a common thing with CVT transmissions or should I take her in? 2016 SR Max.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by SRDemi
I was actually going to create a similar thread. Lately, my car has been having this kind of shaking/vibrating as I'm accelerating from a stop. Let's say, I'm at a red light, then the light turns green...I hit the gas. As it starts to approach 20 MPH, there's this shaking vibration that happens momentarily (seemingly as it's switching gears). The only thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, but it's starting to happen enough to notice. Also, it doesn't happen higher up in speed...only in the 20MPH range.

Is this a common thing with CVT transmissions or should I take her in? 2016 SR Max.

Thanks in advance for any input.
If it were mine I'd have had it in by now with this "chudder". That's what Nissan calls it anyway. I've heard Nissan can diagnose that problem with just a shop scan. That way if it is a true "chudder", and it is intermittent, the computer will know.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
If it were mine I'd have had it in by now with this "chudder". That's what Nissan calls it anyway. I've heard Nissan can diagnose that problem with just a shop scan. That way if it is a true "chudder", and it is intermittent, the computer will know.
My service guy said, say "Judder" too. Fairly easy to fix if it is the valve body which shows up on the car scan. By the way, my 2016 had a mild case of this at 31000 miles. Car was fixed in 4 hours and never an issue After that fix.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My service guy said, say "Judder" too. Fairly easy to fix if it is the valve body which shows up on the car scan. By the way, my 2016 had a mild case of this at 31000 miles. Car was fixed in 4 hours and never an issue After that fix.
Sr. moment here. Yes, it is judder, but I was close. What a strange term.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow! Thank you guys. I will take it in.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This exact thing is happening to my 2018 Maxima. Also I shift to reverse to forward it lurches forward as well. I still have warranty on powertrain, hopefully I'm covered.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Sr. moment here. Yes, it is judder, but I was close. What a strange term.
From Oxford dictionary
judキder
/ˈjədər/
verb
  1. (especially of something mechanical) shake and vibrate rapidly and with force.
It's a real thing not just something these mechanics say.
It's weird how you can go your whole life and not hear a word that other people use every day. I have used judder a bunch of times in my life and know the term well for some reason. But I'm 36 and just last year someone used the word "chagrin" and I could have sworn they weren't speaking English lmao.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any guess what the vale replacement would cost out of warranty? I'm new to CVTs and curious if the subtle "lurching" when coming to a stop is just a characteristic of CVT, or if it's problematic? It's very subtle and almost mimics an older normal auto-trans downshifting when slowly coming to a stop. Many thanks!
Old 01-18-2022, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ninjha
This exact thing is happening to my 2018 Maxima. Also I shift to reverse to forward it lurches forward as well. I still have warranty on powertrain, hopefully I'm covered.

Did you happen to get this taken care of? I知 scrolling through and I have the exact same thing!!
Old 01-19-2022, 06:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bjs1127
Did you happen to get this taken care of? I知 scrolling through and I have the exact same thing!!
I got the usual "it's a cvt" explanation from the dealer. Otherwise my Maxima is doing excellent! (knock on wood)
Old 01-19-2022, 06:54 AM

I have not read all comments in this thread so am a little ignorant about your issue. Has someone asked if you are completely stopped in Rev before you shift into Dr?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:44 AM

Judder is the magic word to get your service person's attention! Oddly there is usually no dash code tripped but the service code is still there if it is an issue.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I知 going through this too with my car. I just got it. But when I turn corners it acts like it痴 loosing power and it takes awhile it to go again. Also when I break or accelerate at low speed it feels like the power is all over the place. I already have bad anxiety about cars and now I知 scared for when it actually does give out lol
Old 04-30-2023, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by masterhannaMN
I知 going through this too with my car. I just got it. But when I turn corners it acts like it痴 loosing power and it takes awhile it to go again. Also when I break or accelerate at low speed it feels like the power is all over the place. I already have bad anxiety about cars and now I知 scared for when it actually does give out lol
I did! I traded it in for a new 2021 Honda Accord 2.0t Touring at the time which I still have. I see the Maxima I traded in around town to this day. Ran into the owners twice over time. Just a few months ago again actually.