8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima is no more for us

Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Maxima is no more for us

Had a chance to get out of it and took it. We got a 2019 Honda Passport Elite in Lunar Silver. Maxima is a fantastic car but we just had to many issues with ours. I would say it was a border line lemon. Its been great ladies and gents on these forums. Best place for Maxima owners to be and I thank the community for all the help etc.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Had a chance to get out of it and took it. We got a 2019 Honda Passport Elite in Lunar Silver. Maxima is a fantastic car but we just had to many issues with ours. I would say it was a border line lemon. Its been great ladies and gents on these forums. Best place for Maxima owners to be and I thank the community for all the help etc.
What kind of issues were you having? Honda has issues as well..ALL cars and trucks do.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
What kind of issues were you having? Honda has issues as well..ALL cars and trucks do.
Indeed......Our Honda Oddy was the worst car I ever owned.............In the shop so much I can not count...the extended warranty paid for itself at least 10 x over. We traded it on the Quest....at a little under 50K. The Quest is just over 70K and has never seen a dealership.....................since it left with me
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 AM

Yes, also curious what problems you were having
Old 03-23-2019, 07:00 AM

All the best. Now that I've bought a dedicated fun car, I might buy something similar for my daily when I'm done with my Max. Fortunately, I have not had any significant issues with mine.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 AM

We have enjoyed your contributions throughout your time with us! The Passport is a very sensible vehicle that Car and Driver just picked as top of the heap in the current issue. You will have to get used to see yourself coming and going but the utility of the Honda is a great buying motivator.
Were you happy with the deal, tradin, etc? Best of luck and what does "Fattiesgonewild" signify?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
We have enjoyed your contributions throughout your time with us! The Passport is a very sensible vehicle that Car and Driver just picked as top of the heap in the current issue. You will have to get used to see yourself coming and going but the utility of the Honda is a great buying motivator.
Were you happy with the deal, tradin, etc? Best of luck and what does "Fattiesgonewild" signify?
Thank you! FGW came from joking around and talking about Girls Gone Wild. Instead of just the Girls title we were laughing coming up with other names. Fatties popped up during the conversation and I thought it was funny. A bunch of Fatties Gone Wild like Girls Gone Wild.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 PM

I have to many various posts about issues. You can search under my name and they will come up. No doubt all cars have problems and I expect them never to be perfect. But we have owned 5 brand new Honda Accord's in the past including their discontinued Accord Cross Tour. Not one major issue and only 1 minor issue with the tire pressure sensors. So we came back to Honda and I really liked this new Passport when it debuted. So I hope we have a good experience with this new Passport as our past Honda's. Weird getting use to this 9 speed transmission compared to the Maxima. But its a very smooth transmission and predictable. One thing that is annoying with the Passport is the stop/start idle function. You can disable it BUT you must press the button every time you start the car to disable it. What in the world Honda was thinking with that design. They should have made it when you hold down the button for a few seconds it completely disables the feature.

BTW. My local dealer listed our traded in Maxima on their website already. They are asking for $28,999.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 03-23-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Thank you! FGW came from joking around and talking about Girls Gone Wild. Instead of just the Girls title we were laughing coming up with other names. Fatties popped up during the conversation and I thought it was funny. A bunch of Fatties Gone Wild like Girls Gone Wild.
Fattie! You've gone wild man. Thanks for your input during your stay here. Will miss you.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I forgot to mention the deal. Put it this way. It’s a deal no reasonable person would have made. And that was on top of putting $15k down. But we were desperate to get out of the Maxima and owed a whole lot on it still.

The only reason our local dealer worked with us getting out of it. This is our 8th new car purchased from them over the years. We have given them a lot of business over the years with all maintenance being done as well through them.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 03-24-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM

Sorry to see you go, but i hope your next ride treats you better. Guess it's always a bit of a gamble, Looks like the lemon landed on your side of the fence this time.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM

I will miss your posts, FGW. Best of luck with your new ride. Maybe you will have better luck with your 9th gen 2023 Maxima Platinum in a gorgeous Sunset Drift color. Hint, hint.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 AM

I'm on my last Maxima too (94,97,03,12,14,17), I've certainly done my part to support the model. I'm on my last Nissan as well. They've steadily gotten worse in quality and Nissan keeps sucking the life & fun out of the Maxima. The pinnacle for me was the 2003 SE Titanium Edition I had. Fast, decent handler and extremely good on long road runs. Also the most trouble free of all I've had. I also believe it was the last model year out of the Oppama plant. They were built much better than the stuff coming out of Smyrna (my opinion). My next ride will be Lexus. But my 17 has a few years to go before it gets the heave. It too has been problem after problem (rear suspension sucks), thank God for the warranty.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 17MaxSR
I'm on my last Maxima too (94,97,03,12,14,17), I've certainly done my part to support the model. I'm on my last Nissan as well. They've steadily gotten worse in quality and Nissan keeps sucking the life & fun out of the Maxima. The pinnacle for me was the 2003 SE Titanium Edition I had. Fast, decent handler and extremely good on long road runs. Also the most trouble free of all I've had. I also believe it was the last model year out of the Oppama plant. They were built much better than the stuff coming out of Smyrna (my opinion). My next ride will be Lexus. But my 17 has a few years to go before it gets the heave. It too has been problem after problem (rear suspension sucks), thank God for the warranty.
Every auto makers quality has declined. I was a due hard honda/Toyota guy, but even they've gone down in recent years. Read some complaints about the new accords and cr-v's oil delution problems. Even the almighty toyota has cheaped out on materials quite a bit.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Well put!
Originally Posted by Steptide
Every auto makers quality has declined. I was a due hard honda/Toyota guy, but even they've gone down in recent years. Read some complaints about the new accords and cr-v's oil delution problems. Even the almighty toyota has cheaped out on materials quite a bit.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
I'll take my chances with a Lexus...

Old 04-06-2019, 01:29 PM

I'm actually quite surprised to see Chevy & Buick so high on that list. Who woulda thunk it?
Maybe I should give the Impala another look
Old 04-06-2019, 02:58 PM

I'll take my chances with a Lexus...

Who would've ever thought Honda would be rated so low? Even below nissan
Old 04-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I'm actually quite surprised to see Chevy & Buick so high on that list. Who woulda thunk it?
Maybe I should give the Impala another look
Put 2800 miles on a 2018 Impala LT rental. Loved it, nice sedan, more comfy than the Max w more leg and hip room. Let's face it, Max seats are not touring grade.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM

Put 2800 miles on a 2018 Impala LT rental. Loved it, nice sedan, more comfy than the Max w more leg and hip room. Let's face it, Max seats are not touring grade.
What? The max had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I ever had. I would say they are at or above "touring grade" whatever that is.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
What? The max had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I ever had. I would say they are at or above "touring grade" whatever that is.
i tend to agree that the Maxima seats are Very comfortable for short drives. But after an hour or so they are just too damned hard. Wish they were somewhere in between

i liked the Camero-esque front angle view, and the huge trunk. But the back was very uninspired . Just can't beat the Max for sexiness though

Last edited by Fishlet; 04-06-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=Mason Hatcher;9199259]What? The max had the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I ever had. I would say they are at or above "touring grade" whatever that is.[/QUOTE

My 17 is the least comfortable of the 6 I've owned, very short on leg comfort. But back to the Impala, more comfortable on long distance drives than any Max I've owned.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
i tend to agree that the Maxima seats are Very comfortable for short drives. But after an hour or so they are just too damned hard. Wish they were somewhere in between

i liked the Camero-esque front angle view, and the huge trunk. But the back was very uninspired . Just can't beat the Max for sexiness though
??? I drove all over the state in mine. Most comfortable car I owned to date
Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
??? I drove all over the state in mine. Most comfortable car I owned to date
I agree. I had a camry for 5 years and it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my maxima.