8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Center Console Halp

Old 03-31-2019, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Center Console Halp

Howdy all had a quick question. Got a Maxima in my hands and the owner seems to spilled some sticky coffee like liquid onto center console and dried. It looks to have gone into the crevices of the center console where the buttons are, I need to clean it up but was wondering if I need to remove the entire center console with the gear-shifter to clean this bit underneath the
circular scroll and the buttons around as the buttons are sticky together. See pic included for the specific area. Thanks for the help!
EDIT: its a Nissan Maxima SR 2017

the top 3 keys are sticky and gunk underneath the "wheel scroll". And some more dried coffee gunk beneath/between the lower normal/sport buttons.

Last edited by Rizok; 03-31-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail
Old 04-01-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rizok
Howdy all had a quick question. Got a Maxima in my hands and the owner seems to spilled some sticky coffee like liquid onto center console and dried. It looks to have gone into the crevices of the center console where the buttons are, I need to clean it up but was wondering if I need to remove the entire center console with the gear-shifter to clean this bit underneath the
circular scroll and the buttons around as the buttons are sticky together. See pic included for the specific area. Thanks for the help!
EDIT: its a Nissan Maxima SR 2017

the top 3 keys are sticky and gunk underneath the "wheel scroll". And some more dried coffee gunk beneath/between the lower normal/sport buttons.
Try a fine toothbrush with a light spray of WD 40. Then finish using some pre moistened towellettes, working the edges around the buttons.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...17-maxima.html

Take it apart. Spend some time.. if you will just spay it will stay there forever. It will accumulate more dirt.

Dentnshell knows how to do it. PM him.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:02 PM

One way to at least try to fix it (without taking it apart) drip in a little water, let it sit for just a moment then with canned air or a compressor nozzle give it a few squirts with air. keep doing that a few times will get the water in without having to put a bunch in. It will help dissolve the sugar and soften things up, air will get it out before it causes other problems. Of course if there's a metal spring, expect it to eventually corrode and break, but for the short term you can try this.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Invest in a pressure steamer....works wonder in nooks and crannies. I face that coffee dilemma all the time.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scott1243
Invest in a pressure steamer....works wonder in nooks and crannies. I face that coffee dilemma all the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wagner-0282014...99901421&psc=1
Forcing steam into an electrical switch? Here is a case where the fix is worse than the problem! Don't do it. WD40 on the other hand is a moisture remover.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is a late reply but I opted with using some warm water and a toothbrush to lightly go over the crevices multiple times and it seemed to get the job done.

For the map scroll wheel and the base of the center console, I used a warm wet microfiber towel and shoved it down into the space between the scroll wheel by pushing the scroll wheel North/South/East/West etc. to make some room and then pressing the wheel against the towel once it was inside the space and twist the wheel back and forth to rub the hard to reach areas on the inside.
Be Patient and don't use too much water just light damp and repeat a few times to get it clean.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Forcing steam into an electrical switch? Here is a case where the fix is worse than the problem! Don't do it. WD40 on the other hand is a moisture remover.

Or try some Isopropyl alcohol
CH3CHOHCH3
Old 05-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Just use wipes , wipes and more wipes. Wrap a wipe around a toothpick or a qtip and get the gunk out
Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 AM

I used high percentage alcohol on mine and a small thin cell phone repair tool which worked for a bit...then got sticky again. Perhaps blowing out with canned air duster or maybe a WD-40 or Silicone spray would also help. I don’t use those buttons (only to see if they are sticky, lol) so it doesn’t bother me much.

You could also leave your sunroof cracked in heavy rain and see what happens. The leather around the gear shifter holds water well.....
Old 08-17-2019, 01:34 PM

I know this is a little late but I had the same issue yesterday. I spilled coffee in the am. By the time I got to it in the afternoon it was dry. I used a Q-tip and some alcohol then warm water with a few Q-tips. Cleaned the space around the wheel very well.