8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Nissan Maxima Platinum stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Maxima Platinum stolen

My Nissan Maxima was stolen on April 20th 2019. Is this a common occurrence with this car? It was a 2016 model with only 5,700 miles on it and six months away from paying it off. Do you think it might be found?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oscar L Ramos
My Nissan Maxima was stolen on April 20th 2019. Is this a common occurrence with this car? It was a 2016 model with only 5,700 miles on it and six months away from paying it off. Do you think it might be found?
Wow! Only 5,700 miles?

Sorry to hear that... it’s almost 2 weeks. If it’s been stolen for parts I guess it’s probably gone.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Have you contacted Nissan to see if the car can be tracked or located with the built in telematics? Sorry to see a low mileage car taken. I will say it might be better if the car is not found especially if it got cowboyed up. Let us now how you make out.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have not contacted Nissan, just my Insurance company and the police, but i will contact them and see if there is anything they can do.

I was hoping they found it in not too bad a condition since i am almost done paying for it and only 5,700 miles on it. I am going to lose so much money..

Thank you
Old 05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had no idea that Nissan is in the top 5 list of cars stolen. I am hoping they find it.

Thank you
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Sorry for your loss. Have you any idea how it was done? Driven off or towed, how they broke in or managed to start it. Might help others here.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM

I have not contacted Nissan, just my Insurance company and the police, but i will contact them and see if there is anything they can do.

I was hoping they found it in not too bad a condition since i am almost done paying for it and only 5,700 miles on it. I am going to lose so much money..

Thank you
That's sucks man. Keep us updated. Curious what ends up happening. Can I ask how they stole the car? I leave my keys in my car at home all the time. Just end up forgetting about them. I also live in farm land though
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do not know how it happened . I got home on Friday night at 7:30 pm and parked it in the driveway front of my house, not on the street. I found the next morning at 9:15 when it was missing. The police say they use some kind of app and code some kind of blank key and they just drive off with it. I do not know.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My key is always in my left pants pocket since it is keyless start i do not have to take it out.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:38 PM

I do not know how it happened . I got home on Friday night at 7:30 pm and parked it in the driveway front of my house, not on the street. I found the next morning at 9:15 when it was missing. The police say they use some kind of app and code some kind of blank key and they just drive off with it. I do not know.
You were probably under surveillance earlier. I've seen news reports where thieves walk by you after you get out of your car and they have a reader to get your fob code and transfer it to a blank key. Follow you home and come back to steal it.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
You were probably under surveillance earlier. I've seen news reports where thieves walk by you after you get out of your car and they have a reader to get your fob code and transfer it to a blank key. Follow you home and come back to steal it.
And that's why 99% of the times I lock/unlock my car by pressing the button on the door handle, instead of the key. I think the range of the signal is kept at a couple of feet in this case.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
And that's why 99% of the times I lock/unlock my car by pressing the button on the door handle, instead of the key. I think the range of the signal is kept at a couple of feet in this case.
That couple of feet is all they need, as they walk by you with their reader in their pocket and come within range of your pocketed fob and their reader gets your fob's code. Two strangers passing each other and one swipes your code.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Times change, but technology changes even faster. There are lined fob covers available that prevent passers-by from stealing your code. But I operate on the premise that my car is only protected when it is in my locked garage whose doors and windows are wired into my home security system. Then I always keep my S&W .38 in arms reach. My only real concern is that the law does not allow shooting a perp simply because he is stealing property, but I fear I would tend to forget that law in the heat of the moment if anyone touched my Maxima.

If I had to leave my Maxima parked in the driveway or on the street at night, I would never get any sleep. Even with an up-to-date monitored security system, I find myself peeking out windows at the slightest sound I don't recognize. Fortunately, I live in an over 55 retirement community, where we are not allowed to leave vehicles in our drive overnight, and my neighbors (mostly between 60 and 95 in age) are just as paranoid as I am. We have never had any crime here, and we have a police station two minutes away, which is comforting.

I really hate that someone took Oscar Ramos's Platinum with very low mileage. Unless it has some sort of tracking package like Lojack, getting it back is doubtful. Life should not be like this. If perps were not released so quickly after each arrest, that would help. Ever notice that after every horrible crime, when the perp is caught, he always seems to have a rap sheet longer than an arm. In my mind, that puts the blame back on our justice system, which simply rotates the perps through the system and spews them out again to resume their villany. That is not justice. But I ramble as usual.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall a report a few years ago that you should lock, then unlock, then lock again a few times to prevent them being able to steal your code. Not sure how and why this works. I might be mistaken though.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:40 PM

If the vehicle will never be found. Does insurance will buy it off? I don’t really know how that works.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Times change, but technology changes even faster. There are lined fob covers available that prevent passers-by from stealing your code. But I operate on the premise that my car is only protected when it is in my locked garage whose doors and windows are wired into my home security system. Then I always keep my S&W .38 in arms reach. My only real concern is that the law does not allow shooting a perp simply because he is stealing property, but I fear I would tend to forget that law in the heat of the moment if anyone touched my Maxima.

If I had to leave my Maxima parked in the driveway or on the street at night, I would never get any sleep. Even with an up-to-date monitored security system, I find myself peeking out windows at the slightest sound I don't recognize. Fortunately, I live in an over 55 retirement community, where we are not allowed to leave vehicles in our drive overnight, and my neighbors (mostly between 60 and 95 in age) are just as paranoid as I am. We have never had any crime here, and we have a police station two minutes away, which is comforting.

I really hate that someone took Oscar Ramos's Platinum with very low mileage. Unless it has some sort of tracking package like Lojack, getting it back is doubtful. Life should not be like this. If perps were not released so quickly after each arrest, that would help. Ever notice that after every horrible crime, when the perp is caught, he always seems to have a rap sheet longer than an arm. In my mind, that puts the blame back on our justice system, which simply rotates the perps through the system and spews them out again to resume their villany. That is not justice. But I ramble as usual.
I do look forward to your electronic missives when you choose to weigh in. I am located in the north shore area along Lake Michigan and our suburbs are experiencing some serious crime especially in auto thefts! Sadly many of the victims here just "ask for it". They are too lazy to park in their garages, often put the key fobs in the console, and leave their purses or wallets there as well. No need to even have a code grabbing electronic do-dad around here! Should the local police see a crime going down, they will not continue to chase either. Well, fertile grounds such as ours do not go unnoticed by the bad boys.
About a year ago in our town, a guy brought home a new very expensive Dodge Demon, parks it on the driveway and goes in to get is wife for a ride. In that 5 minutes the car was stolen (key fob in car, engine running). Later that night the car was discovered on the south side of Chicago after being used in a drive by shooting rampage. There was over 40,000 bucks in damge done to the car and the insurance company insisted is was not a total. Folks, you gotta be proactive or you will also be a statistic.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
If the vehicle will never be found. Does insurance will buy it off? I don’t really know how that works.
From Insurance.com

If your vehicle is found, immediately notify your insurer. Comprehensive will pay to repair your vehicle if the thieves managed to put in a few fresh dents. You would owe the deductible amount.

Most insurance companies have a waiting period of 30 days before declaring the car gone for good. After that point, your insurer will pay out the "fair market value" of your car – the price an identical car would bring on the open market. It’s somewhat negotiable if you can find comparable values.

Your deductible will come out of the settlement check, and so will anything owed to lienholders.

Most comprehensive claims won’t drive up your rates. Unfortunately, any valuables left in your vehicle usually are not covered. But your homeowners insurance might kick in.

Your car may be found after you settle the claim. If so, the car belongs to the insurance company.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, hard to believe that with all the tech we have nowadays that it's still so easy for someone to steal a car.

I don't know if you want your old car back after it has been stolen, it might be abused at this point. Here's hoping your insurance comes through and gives you what it's worth
Old 05-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Is that really true, that you can get the code just by being nearby with a reader? While that was true with the old garage door openers, I thought these "Keys" had a random sequence to them.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 PM

We have a lot of break in around our home they search out cars like ours in the better Neighborhoods.
I park mine in the Garbage, same thing at work, I work Next to County Courthouse had my other 4 cars
broken into, final a couple years ago the city installed cameras and better patrols.
Always lock your car always watch were you park even for a quick run to Walmart.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Is that really true, that you can get the code just by being nearby with a reader? While that was true with the old garage door openers, I thought these "Keys" had a random sequence to them.
Keyless entry, push button start/stop, and all the other electronics in the car, while all quite convenient for the driver, is a smorgasbord of possibilities for someone bent on taking you car from you. Just remember that if its electronic controlled, which is just about every aspect of a modern vehicle, can be hacked into.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Keyless entry, push button start/stop, and all the other electronics in the car, while all quite convenient for the driver, is a smorgasbord of possibilities for someone bent on taking you car from you. Just remember that if its electronic controlled, which is just about every aspect of a modern vehicle, can be hacked into.
I wonder if the key identification thing being turned on helps with this. Maybe it makes it worse.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 AM

Sorry your car got stolen. I saw a report a month or two ago that showed a video of a car thief walking up to a person's house door and was able to get a scan of the person's keybob from there because they kept their keys near their door.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 AM

The police say they use some kind of app and code some kind of blank key and they just drive off with it.
Actually, it's as simple as that by using a key programmer and a brand-new fob. The cabin is accessed by breaking down any of the door windows. All this could take less than five minutes.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This might be. My wife kept a spare key about 5 feet from the front door.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
I thought these "Keys" had a random sequence to them.
If an attacker pulls on the door handle, the car responds by transmitting an authentication challenge to the key fob. The attacker can intercept that challenge code and relay it to the actual key fob. The key fob then transmits back the correct response, which is then intercepted and relayed back to the car. At that point the car thinks it is communicating with the actual fob. So it's basically a man-in-the-middle attack with the attacker's device relaying codes between the car and the key fob.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Terrible. Very sorry to hear about this OP, you have my sympathy. Sadly I would say it’s gone or chopped for parts by now. If you had the security service where Nissan could track it and help law enforcement. You might have had a chance.

Still call Nissan and see if they can do you a solid. Never know they might help you out to try and track it.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

The thought of owning a S&W 38 to have to protect our homes and lives, let alone shooting someone to stop them from stealing your vehicle, seems so foreign to most of us in Canada. I invite all Maxima.org members to come visit a kinder and friendlier Canada.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 240tomax
The thought of owning a S&W 38 to have to protect our homes and lives, let alone shooting someone to stop them from stealing your vehicle,.
I could not agree more. A .45 has much more stopping power and a much more effective tool for the job
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
I could not agree more. A .45 has much more stopping power and a much more effective tool for the job
In Canada it's..."hey buddy could you not do that...please".
Old 05-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
LOL. Exactly right!
Old 05-03-2019, 02:40 PM

I seen a video on the news how a Benz was stolen where they go up to the persons home and use a laptop or something and copy some code......place your keys far away from the doors. Also do what someone else said and lock with the inside of the door lock instead of the fob.....been doing this since seeing that video over a year ago at least. Paid off almost and only 5k on a 2016 model.....do you even drive it? Some more details would help to figure things out better.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:18 PM

The thought of owning a S&W 38 to have to protect our homes and lives, let alone shooting someone to stop them from stealing your vehicle, seems so foreign to most of us in Canada. I invite all Maxima.org members to come visit a kinder and friendlier Canada.
i tend to agree with you, killing someone over a car is ridiculous; there is no legal or moral argument that can make it right. I sincerely hope it's just a bit of un-PC joking, which if that is the case is A-ok. Of course self-defense Is a different story. As more nuts go around raising havoc... more perfectly rational folks are arming themselves hoping to protect themselves from said nuts. No one seems to really care about getting to the root of the problem of why people are so murderous to begin with. No easy solution I suppose.

BTW, I've been to Canada many times and love it. Consider raising the temperature about 40F degrees and planting some palm trees and I might consider moving there!
Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 AM

The key to these issues is that we do not know the outcome while the robbery or theft is taking place. Easy in retrospect to say "I should have done this or that". If one perceives a reasonable danger to life or limb, is the time for talking is over?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The key to these issues is that we do not know the outcome while the robbery or theft is taking place. Easy in retrospect to say "I should have done this or that". If one perceives a reasonable danger to life or limb, is the time for talking is over?
Sorry for going OT, but this is a great point.
I have a concealed permit. I was robbed in DC 18 months ago.
I handed over my phone and wallet. I didn't do anything else.
I'm typing right now - with all of my limbs.
The end.
A car is a car. Get a new one or fix the old one.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

To the OP I hope the situation yields a positive and favorable outcome for you and your family!

IMO, a car is just a car. It is not worth losing ones life or the life of others in the car. After all that why we pay insurance.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Sorry for going OT, but this is a great point.
I have a concealed permit. I was robbed in DC 18 months ago.
I handed over my phone and wallet. I didn't do anything else.
I'm typing right now - with all of my limbs.
The end.
A car is a car. Get a new one or fix the old one.
Interesting the very different cultural perspectives regarding firearms between our two countries. The concept of everyone packing, with a permit, seems so bizarre. And I understand the thought that if every other dude is packing, then you need to pack. But if virtually no one packs then there is no need to.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:12 PM

I carry my paranoia a little further. Living in the deep south, I face a simple method thieves in this area use to steal vehicles. They use a common wrecker equipped with a system that wraps itself under the front bumper and the front part of the undercarriage, lifts the front of the car off the ground, and simply drives away with it. This system works great when stealing front wheel drive vehicles.

What I do to foil that system is to always park the front of the car face in next to a pole, fence, wall, anything that would prevent the wrecker from backing up to the front of the car. If the car will be in the dark, try to find a pole or wall with a bright light on it. I always try to park where I can see the car from wherever I will be, restaurant, store, medical office, etc. I have never left my car out in public places unlocked, even at church, and I have never left my key in my car. I never leave anything of value within sight inside my car. Those are common mistakes that give thieves an easy opportunity. I have skipped eating at restaurants and shopping at stores if they were in questionable neighborhoods where I felt the least discomfort or unease with my surroundings. I also never park and leave my car in any area where I see individuals just loitering in the area. Fortunately, I live in a city/county where law enforcement will not permit loitering. My wife and I are both retired, and plan our daily schedule so that we will normally be home before dark. Neighborhoods that seem safe during the day often tend to be less-safe after dark. But these are the same things I see other driver's doing. Just trying to make things a little more difficult for the perps.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 AM

Interesting the very different cultural perspectives regarding firearms between our two countries. The concept of everyone packing, with a permit, seems so bizarre. And I understand the thought that if every other dude is packing, then you need to pack. But if virtually no one packs then there is no need to.
you jumped to a conclusion.
As Canadians always do.
Point - car not worth fighting for.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Point - car not worth fighting for.
That depends on the car......A maxima.....Altima...rogue.....I agree. GTR.....imma shoot you

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima Platinum stolen