8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima - alternator issues? + others? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Maxima - alternator issues? + others? Please help

I purchased a 2016 Maxima Platinum in April 2019 with 16k miles. 36 month warranty ran out end of May 2019.

I had had my oil changed 3 weeks ago. The level checker was not placed back entirely and I checked under the hood becaus I saw some faint smoking. I found oil splattered along the right side of the car under the hood. I corrected the issue and cleaned up the oil. Drove the car, checked for a repeat of the issue, it didn’t recur.

Then this his past week, my car won’t accelerate as I’m driving. I think transmission is messed up. It’s like it won’t engage. Rpms are kicking but car is rolling 5-6 miles per hour. I stop, park, turn the car off and on, it works. Pull up to a stop sign, stop, then hit the gas, episode repeats itself. I turn car off at the light because of the same issue, go to turn it on and it won’t. Try to jump it, as soon as the cables are removed it simpers and dies. Push it into a spot in a parking lot. Go to pep boys, purchase a new battery and replace it, it solves the issue.

Then i go home, sleep, next day get in the car for work, driving on the highway, go to accelerate, same issue, pull over on shoulder. Try to restart car, it won’t engage with the acceleration. Then I turn off and try to turn on again, same issue as the day before.

I towe it to mechanic. He tests it, says my alternator is pumping out 6 volts. We agree for him to replace it. Next day he tells me that he put a new one in, it didn’t work, then a second new one in, it still did t work. Checked the harnesses and said they were ok. Told me my old alternator was covered in fluid (oil - from leak above due to engine oil level checker). This killed my alternator. He tells my friend and I that he ripped some wires when he was pulling out the alternator originally, but he fixed them. He also believes that I need a new IPDM (estimated at $1,500 according to him). Tells me to towe my car to the dealer.

i checked the original alternator at autozone and it is in fact dead (likely due tot he oil from leak meantioned above). Also checked a new working alternator to make sure the machine was working properly which tests them. It was.

I undersrand that the oil oil caused the alternator to break, but it doesn’t explain why the IPDM is possibly broken. The oil splatter was nowhere near the IPDM and IPDM is covered inside a plastic box.

I believe that he may have either damaged the wiring harness when he was removing the alternator originally or possibly fried the IPDM or just miseries the harness when he went to fix him messing up the harness. He claims he wired everything correctly.

Please help.

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:13 AM

This is indeed a sad commentary where mistakes easily compound. From the beginning it would have been wise to head for the dealer since there are so many tests they have the equipement to do. Sadly you need to bite the bullet and have the vehicle looked at at the dealer now. There may be some good will compensation involved since the miles are so low. Who changed the oil to begin this chain of trouble? You should start there for recourse.

Let is know how you make out and good luck.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 AM

A lot of what-ifs. What if the Alternator just died, wasn't related to oil getting inside it? I've seen alternators covered in oil last for years.

As far as the guy admitting to breaking something then fixing the wires he damaged. Did he damage something else during the process or was that not his fault, just another faulty part. Your problem here is going to be proof and liability. Good luck with that.

As to how to get the car running again, Dealership may be your only way out now. It could get costly.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2016Maxima
I purchased a 2016 Maxima Platinum in April 2019 with 16k miles. 36 month warranty ran out end of May 2019.

I had had my oil changed 3 weeks ago. The level checker was not placed back entirely and I checked under the hood becaus I saw some faint smoking. I found oil splattered along the right side of the car under the hood. I corrected the issue and cleaned up the oil. Drove the car, checked for a repeat of the issue, it didn’t recur.

Then this his past week, my car won’t accelerate as I’m driving. I think transmission is messed up. It’s like it won’t engage. Rpms are kicking but car is rolling 5-6 miles per hour. I stop, park, turn the car off and on, it works. Pull up to a stop sign, stop, then hit the gas, episode repeats itself. I turn car off at the light because of the same issue, go to turn it on and it won’t. Try to jump it, as soon as the cables are removed it simpers and dies. Push it into a spot in a parking lot. Go to pep boys, purchase a new battery and replace it, it solves the issue.

Then i go home, sleep, next day get in the car for work, driving on the highway, go to accelerate, same issue, pull over on shoulder. Try to restart car, it won’t engage with the acceleration. Then I turn off and try to turn on again, same issue as the day before.

I towe it to mechanic. He tests it, says my alternator is pumping out 6 volts. We agree for him to replace it. Next day he tells me that he put a new one in, it didn’t work, then a second new one in, it still did t work. Checked the harnesses and said they were ok. Told me my old alternator was covered in fluid (oil - from leak above due to engine oil level checker). This killed my alternator. He tells my friend and I that he ripped some wires when he was pulling out the alternator originally, but he fixed them. He also believes that I need a new IPDM (estimated at $1,500 according to him). Tells me to towe my car to the dealer.

i checked the original alternator at autozone and it is in fact dead (likely due tot he oil from leak meantioned above). Also checked a new working alternator to make sure the machine was working properly which tests them. It was.

I undersrand that the oil oil caused the alternator to break, but it doesn’t explain why the IPDM is possibly broken. The oil splatter was nowhere near the IPDM and IPDM is covered inside a plastic box.

I believe that he may have either damaged the wiring harness when he was removing the alternator originally or possibly fried the IPDM or just miseries the harness when he went to fix him messing up the harness. He claims he wired everything correctly.

Please help.

Thank you.
I've heard of stories like yours before, however the oil leakage into the alternator was from serious valve cover leaks, not someone forgetting to reinstall the DIPSTICK ("level checker", as you refer to it). And yes an oil-soaked alternator can easily go south because contrary to popular opinion oil soaking like you experience, not necessarily a slow "seepage", can both conduct electricity to where it should not go, and also act as an insulator, even preventing electric flow in the right conditions. Yours unfortunately was the perfect storm. I don't buy your mechanics story that he "damaged some wires" while removing/installing the alternators and then repair it properly (BEFORE FIRING UP THE IGNITION). If he failed to repair his mistakes with the wires, and I think he did, then I can understand why the extra alternators did not work either! Both madmax and robtroxel also bring up some valid points. Also, you surmise that the mechanic, through his carelessness, "fried the IPDM". I believe you, and this is such a pity. As others have said, use this as a life lesson and haul her off to the dealer for a proper diagnosis and repair, IPDM and all. While you are speaking with the dealer technician ask him to verify the state of the wiring that your mechanic said he properly repaired after screwing it up. If the dealer finds evidence that his so-called repairs resulted in your IPDM going south, get this in writing from them and then very nicely, with evidence in hand, approach your mechanic with the evidence. Then, even if the dealer won't cut you a break maybe a letter from your attorney to the mechanic may entice him to cough up some cash to help you repair the IPDM. Also, who the heck failed to re-insert your DIPSTICK after an oil change. Before asking your dealer to do a rat letter about your alternator mechanic's work, I might suggest you go back to the mechanic and ask if he will do a write up regarding the oil loss due to the dude who forgot to re-install your DIPSTICK after the change. With this info, not only can you go after your alternator mechanic, but also the guy who goofed with the DIPSTICK re-insertion procedure. :-) This dude should be "encouraged" to cough up a bit of cash as well. You have contacted him by now haven't you? Good luck with this and report back please.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:08 AM

Don't you love a post that begs "Please Help"......and the guy never follows up.

Another 1 post wonder.