8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Anyone else having these issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:59 PM

Anyone else having these issues?

Hello, my name is Mikey. I have a 2018 Maxima Platinum. This was the replacement car for my 2017 that was lemon lawed. This car has been in and out of the shop as well. My main concerns are that I have extreme paint issues. Major and I mean major chipping on the front at only 12 thousand miles (probably sooner than that), Water is leaking inside, it had the valve body on the trans replaced, the steering wheel was replaced (hasn’t been right since), And the ACC/autobrake distance sensor has been replaced twice already. Im now at 45k miles. I have been trying for over a year now to have this car bought back as well. It’s been a nightmare . And it’s new thing to do now is creak over bumps and turns. I don’t have any other way to describe it other than it sounds like the car is bending. I was the original owner for both vehicles. I actually used to work at the Nissan dealer I got it from originally. I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the brand itself as well as the horrendous support. The consumer affairs team is an absolute joke and it’s sad that they treat their customers like this. Especially one that used to work for the brand.

My cabin air filter was damp as well.

That is pure paint chipping. No dirt it was just washed. This was back in March 2019 taken at 15,000 miles.

Last edited by Mikey319; 04-15-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:04 AM

Your headlights are pock-marked too. What do you think might be causing that? Regarding the paint chips, how would Nissan be able to ascertain the conditions resulting in that? I was expecting to see peeling paint and large swaths of exposed primer. The chips look as though you use the car to follow salt and gravel trucks around their interstate routes. Yikes. As to the water intrusion, yeah you have a definite problem, but I can't say I've ever seen water intrude into the cabin air filter. Have you ever used a high pressure washer to clean your engine, or maybe driven through a rain-wrapped tornado? Dang man.

Last edited by compyelc4; 04-15-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Here’s the thing though. My moms car (2019 Civic) has 8,000 miles and has maybe 2 chips on it. She drives the same exact roads I do and the same speeds. Whenever I see a truck hauling something I zoom around them to make sure nothing hits my car. My white maxima (2017) had chips too, but not NEARLY this bad. And I drove that one home in a snowstorm the first day I had it.

I haven’t driven through huge puddles and I haven’t pressure washed my engine bay. I think there is more water coming in that isn’t visible. I stuck my hand inside the filter holder and it was very wet. My hand came out soaked. I think it’s a buildup of moisture in there. It also smells damp and musty at times too. It’s intermittent though because the other day (huge rainstorm) I didn’t visibly see any water leak in. I don’t know what causes it to happen but I just know it does. It’s happened on 4 separate occasions now. I even brought it to the dealer with a stream of water coming in but they “couldn’t verify it” 🙄
Old 04-15-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey319
Here’s the thing though. My moms car (2019 Civic) has 8,000 miles and has maybe 2 chips on it. She drives the same exact roads I do and the same speeds. Whenever I see a truck hauling something I zoom around them to make sure nothing hits my car. My white maxima (2017) had chips too, but not NEARLY this bad. And I drove that one home in a snowstorm the first day I had it.

I haven’t driven through huge puddles and I haven’t pressure washed my engine bay. I think there is more water coming in that isn’t visible. I stuck my hand inside the filter holder and it was very wet. My hand came out soaked. I think it’s a buildup of moisture in there. It also smells damp and musty at times too. It’s intermittent though because the other day (huge rainstorm) I didn’t visibly see any water leak in. I don’t know what causes it to happen but I just know it does. It’s happened on 4 separate occasions now. I even brought it to the dealer with a stream of water coming in but they “couldn’t verify it” 🙄
I extracted this from a 2017+ Honda Civic site:

"Did Honda went (sic) cheap on the paint? Dang just did a walk around and noticed a crapload of paint chips on the front bumper hood and above the driver door. WTF 3500 miles only."

Mikey, I know this does not help you one twit, but figured I'd let you know that paint chips on the front of today's cars is not exclusive to the Maxima, and I can find you many examples of water intrusion complaints with Honda, Toyota, and even high-end luxo boxes. As for your observations, yes I believe you as you have proof in your photos. It is possible that the Maxima had a bad run of clear coat applications and corrected the process after yours and a few others got through. Who knows? There have been several Max owners on this board who have complained of the same pock marks. On the other hand I don't remember reading about many water intrusion problems with the Max, but I may have missed a few posts. Keep at it with the dealer. Try to keep a civil but very firm tone with them, but stay on them. You deserve better. I doubt they will be able to analyze and correct your rock chip problem, but I'll bet they can fix most, if not all of your water intrusion problems. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I extracted this from a 2017+ Honda Civic site:

"Did Honda went (sic) cheap on the paint? Dang just did a walk around and noticed a crapload of paint chips on the front bumper hood and above the driver door. WTF 3500 miles only."

Mikey, I know this does not help you one twit, but figured I'd let you know that paint chips on the front of today's cars is not exclusive to the Maxima, and I can find you many examples of water intrusion complaints with Honda, Toyota, and even high-end luxo boxes. As for your observations, yes I believe you as you have proof in your photos. It is possible that the Maxima had a bad run of clear coat applications and corrected the process after yours and a few others got through. Who knows? There have been several Max owners on this board who have complained of the same pock marks. On the other hand I don't remember reading about many water intrusion problems with the Max, but I may have missed a few posts. Keep at it with the dealer. Try to keep a civil but very firm tone with them, but stay on them. You deserve better. I doubt they will be able to analyze and correct your rock chip problem, but I'll bet they can fix most, if not all of your water intrusion problems. Good luck and keep us posted.

That’s so strange because my mom’s civic looks fantastic still. The main reason I’m concerned about mine is because it is a lease and I don’t want them charging me for it. Because to me that is excessive wear and tear in my eyes and to have that many chips at such low mileage is insane. My 2002 Passat had almost no paint chips at all. I need to get a German car again after this one. And it’s getting a clear bra and ceramic coating on top. My other Maxima (2017) had body seam leaks and water got in. It was actually previously repaired for it before it was even sold. That wasn’t disclosed to me or I would have said to grab a different one. That car was a mess too. I just hate the brand so much. This 2018 is actually my 3rd Nissan. Before I got the 2017 Maxima I had financed a 2014 Altima 3.5SL with 22k miles On it. I had the car from 9/17-12/17 and I made the dealer take it back. The valve body has to be replaced and the AC drain plug was clogged and the water was getting inside my car. It quickly molded and if I pressed my finger on the carpet water pooled around it. Never again will I own a Nissan.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:14 AM

Isn't there a 5 year/60k warranty on the paint? I thought most car manufacturers gaurentee the paint for a certain amount of time
Old 04-17-2020, 07:55 AM

Wow! My front end is pock marked from rocks and stuff (typical of AZ cars from all the rocks and small rocks in the desert getting kicked up) but still not as bad as that! But like someone said your lights are marked as well which makes me think something is hitting your car while on the road.
But I'm at 55k with my 2017 and haven't had any issues yet, other than Safellite messing up the trim piece on the side of the windshield. Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with both your Maximas!
Old 04-17-2020, 09:21 AM

My 2016 Coulis red looked somewhat like this but after 45000 miles on the clock. Still not near as bad as what I see on yours. Onther other hand, My 2019 white looks great at 11000 highway miles and seems less prone to the chipping on the front end. It does appear they must have upped the QC on the latest models paint work.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
Wow! My front end is pock marked from rocks and stuff (typical of AZ cars from all the rocks and small rocks in the desert getting kicked up) but still not as bad as that! But like someone said your lights are marked as well which makes me think something is hitting your car while on the road.
But I'm at 55k with my 2017 and haven't had any issues yet, other than Safellite messing up the trim piece on the side of the windshield. Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with both your Maximas!
yeah it’s insane. It honestly looks like (now) that the paint is coming off as a whole. Like there is I think more white than blue on my front bumper. And it’s smooth for the most part which is even weirder.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Steptide
Isn't there a 5 year/60k warranty on the paint? I thought most car manufacturers gaurentee the paint for a certain amount of time
nope that’s the Powertrain warranty sadly.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My 2016 Coulis red looked somewhat like this but after 45000 miles on the clock. Still not near as bad as what I see on yours. Onther other hand, My 2019 white looks great at 11000 highway miles and seems less prone to the chipping on the front end. It does appear they must have upped the QC on the latest models paint work.
I’m at 45,400 miles now and it looks so much worse. I’ll take a picture and upload it. My white one was bad with chilling but not that bad.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:44 AM

these were taken tonight (4/21/2020) at 45k miles. My car is clean. It was washed yesterday, none of that is dirt or debris.

Last edited by Mikey319; 04-21-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:00 PM

I had a 16 pathfinder in dark Gray in Jersey for over 20K driving in several different terrain and nothing, my best friend had a Max, identical color as yours and it was horrible with only 12k on it. I believe it is the paint color and the roads in NJ. They use lots of chemical in the winter and it tends to loosen up the overall compound of the roads which creates these chip. case in point, my coworker traded his 16 max for a 20 SV max in November in Deep Blue Pearl here in orlando and has about 18K and not one chip but has gone through 2 different windshields....
Old 04-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by aruiz76
I had a 16 pathfinder in dark Gray in Jersey for over 20K driving in several different terrain and nothing, my best friend had a Max, identical color as yours and it was horrible with only 12k on it. I believe it is the paint color and the roads in NJ. They use lots of chemical in the winter and it tends to loosen up the overall compound of the roads which creates these chip. case in point, my coworker traded his 16 max for a 20 SV max in November in Deep Blue Pearl here in orlando and has about 18K and not one chip but has gone through 2 different windshields....
I think it really is something with this color. I don’t think it has anything to do with the chemicals and such on the roads in the winter. They salted very little the last few years because it hasn’t been too bad. I don’t think they salted more than once or twice near me last year. And I have it washed off immediately. I genuinely think something is wrong with the paint itself. And then all the other issues too. It makes me not want another one. And the lane assist in the new ones are garbage. My moms civic physically steers itself. The 2020 maxima can’t do that.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:39 PM

Honda Sense is awesome, we have a 2018 Odyssey and you are right, I can let go of the wheel and it does steer itself but it can not start and stop like the 20 max can. its a trade of, I just picked my 20 maxima Saturday and already have 200 miles and I just love the feel and comfort compared to my 16 pathfinder. I really which we did have the steering on the Lane but its a trade off...

Question, have you tried a clay/wax and buff to see if it make a different...
Old 04-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Honda Sense is awesome, we have a 2018 Odyssey and you are right, I can let go of the wheel and it does steer itself but it can not start and stop like the 20 max can. its a trade of, I just picked my 20 maxima Saturday and already have 200 miles and I just love the feel and comfort compared to my 16 pathfinder. I really which we did have the steering on the Lane but its a trade off...

Question, have you tried a clay/wax and buff to see if it make a different...
what do you mean by start and stop? I just don’t feel like I can bring myself to get another Nissan after having horrible experiences with 3 separate cars.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:17 PM

You say it is chips but I have never seen a vehicle with that amount of chipping. To me it looks a lot like over-spray. Did you ever park near where painting was being done or maybe follow a truck that was leaking paint or other liquids? The reason I am thinking that is it seems like the lights look the same way the paint does. You may want to take it to someone that could attempt to buff it out.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 PM

" what do you mean by start and stop? "

I went for a drive, set cruise with intelligent setting and made sure to have someone in front of me. When we approached a red light I put my foot on the break pedal (just in case) and before I knew it, the car was coming to a full stop.... then the light changed and the car took off by itself back to the distance set and up to as fast as it could with the distance. I did this a few times and it works as long as it is not a full stop for more than 45/60 seconds I think... whenI arrived at a light that just changed to red, after a bit it disconnected... I guess the wait was to much.

Up to 200 miles and thus far not bad....I like the tech...

Last edited by aruiz76; 04-21-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:48 PM

" what do you mean by start and stop? "

I went for a drive, set cruise with intelligent setting and made sure to have someone in front of me. When we approached a red light I put my foot on the break pedal (just in case) and before I knew it, the car was coming to a full stop.... then the light changed and the car took off by itself back to the distance set and up to as fast as it could with the distance. I did this a few times and it works as long as it is not a full stop for more than 45/60 seconds I think... whenI arrived at a light that just changed to red, after a bit it disconnected... I guess the wait was to much.

Up to 200 miles and thus far not bad....I like the tech...
my moms civic does that too I love it! I don’t like using it in my maxima because even when I have it set to 1
car length it puts my car so far back and never goes the right speed.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
You say it is chips but I have never seen a vehicle with that amount of chipping. To me it looks a lot like over-spray. Did you ever park near where painting was being done or maybe follow a truck that was leaking paint or other liquids? The reason I am thinking that is it seems like the lights look the same way the paint does. You may want to take it to someone that could attempt to buff it out.

It’s definitely not overspray. I’ve had it professionally detailed when this all started and they applied “boomer shine” to protect it better. Yeah. Right. LMAO. And that’s moisture in the fog light. My paint is actually just that bad sadly. That’s why I’m so upset over this car between the paint and all the sensor, interior quality, and mechanical issues it’s been having. I have a video of the noise it was making while I was driving. I’ll post it.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 PM

here’s a link to it. I couldn’t upload it to the site itself.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:09 PM

my moms civic does that too I love it! I don’t like using it in my maxima because even when I have it set to 1
car length it puts my car so far back and never goes the right speed.
The Max has no setting for 1 car length. Man would that be tailgating. I think the closest mine will track is about 5 car lengths; maybe a little more.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
The Max has no setting for 1 car length. Man would that be tailgating. I think the closest mine will track is about 5 car lengths; maybe a little more.
ohh I thought it was 1, 2, and 3 car lengths for the lines when you press the button to adjust them.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:49 AM

Mikey,

I could not hear the noise in the video past the normal car rumble.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well i don't know.
I live in Quebec and winters are tough to the paint specially the front part like your Max because of all the salt and abrasive they put on the roads from december to march. My Max have some of those chips but not as much even with 50K miles on it. And yes event the lenses and the windshield are chiped to.
In your case it seem to be some kind of paint or other chemical maybe because of the color under (or above) the paint and the way they are made.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:47 PM

https://youtu.be/bzH0t-Atx1E here’s a link to it. I couldn’t upload it to the site itself.
Yeah that extra groaning when you're going over the bumps doesn't sound normal. All I hear in mine is just the quick rubber and pavement interaction usually. Did you get the 2 cars from the same dealer? Must be something going on or just really bad luck.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:45 PM

I have a Pearl White 2018 Platinum with 27K on the odometer and have not had any of the issues that you have including chipping. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Mikey,

I could not hear the noise in the video past the normal car rumble.
I’m surprised, They are very distinct. Listen to the groaning and creaking closely.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Francilois
Well i don't know.
I live in Quebec and winters are tough to the paint specially the front part like your Max because of all the salt and abrasive they put on the roads from december to march. My Max have some of those chips but not as much even with 50K miles on it. And yes event the lenses and the windshield are chiped to.
In your case it seem to be some kind of paint or other chemical maybe because of the color under (or above) the paint and the way they are made.
yeah that’s the thing we have had relatively mild winters in Jersey and they haven’t used much of the salt and such. And I get it washed/rinsed off ASAP so it isn’t sitting on the car. But yeah it’s insane :/
Old 04-22-2020, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
Yeah that extra groaning when you're going over the bumps doesn't sound normal. All I hear in mine is just the quick rubber and pavement interaction usually. Did you get the 2 cars from the same dealer? Must be something going on or just really bad luck.
that was while I was turning mainly as well as going over bumps. The thing is that it isn’t doing it now and it was doing it constantly for weeks. I’m glad I have the video as proof though. One was from the dealership and the other one (the blue one now) was swapped in from a dealer in PA. It sat at the dealership for a month Though while the paperwork was completed for the lemon law process before I took delivery of it.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by jc53
I have a Pearl White 2018 Platinum with 27K on the odometer and have not had any of the issues that you have including chipping. Sorry to hear of your problems.
my 2017.5 platinum was pearl white (I miss that color so much idk why I got blue for the new one), and that was lemon lawed at around 11k miles. I wish I didn’t have problems
Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM

The same stuff is on the headlights. Looks to me that you went under a bridge while they were spray painting it.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
The same stuff is on the headlights. Looks to me that you went under a bridge while they were spray painting it.
There definitely isn’t any overspray on the car or headlights. Here are slightly better pictures. (I just took these).

peep the touch up paint for the big gouge on my hood. That one I will say was a big rock and it hit hard. The other parts of the car though? Inexcusable for it to look like this.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:50 PM

How are you washing your car? My black ‘18 developed a weird “coating” on the paint. Feels like that acne some infants get. If rubbed hard it clears off. Normal washing, though, won’t budge it. It seemed to start after I began using automatic drive-through car washes. Though they were convenient until I started suspecting that they are, but only in the short-term. Long-term may not be so convenient. Guy at car wash... has no idea; never saw anything like it before; shooed me out the door before I could even say “thanks for nothin”. Soon will wash by hand and use a clay bar. I’m hoping that fixes things up.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BrianShaw
How are you washing your car? My black ‘18 developed a weird “coating” on the paint. Feels like that acne some infants get. If rubbed hard it clears off. Normal washing, though, won’t budge it. It seemed to start after I began using automatic drive-through car washes. Though they were convenient until I started suspecting that they are, but only in the short-term. Long-term may not be so convenient. Guy at car wash... has no idea; never saw anything like it before; shooed me out the door before I could even say “thanks for nothin”. Soon will wash by hand and use a clay bar. I’m hoping that fixes things up.
Touch-less and then I use the two bucket method or I will occasionally take it to an automated one, but they have a good reputation.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:02 AM

That’s so strange because my mom’s civic looks fantastic still. The main reason I’m concerned about mine is because it is a lease and I don’t want them charging me for it. Because to me that is excessive wear and tear in my eyes and to have that many chips at such low mileage is insane. My 2002 Passat had almost no paint chips at all. I need to get a German car again after this one. And it’s getting a clear bra and ceramic coating on top. My other Maxima (2017) had body seam leaks and water got in. It was actually previously repaired for it before it was even sold. That wasn’t disclosed to me or I would have said to grab a different one. That car was a mess too. I just hate the brand so much. This 2018 is actually my 3rd Nissan. Before I got the 2017 Maxima I had financed a 2014 Altima 3.5SL with 22k miles On it. I had the car from 9/17-12/17 and I made the dealer take it back. The valve body has to be replaced and the AC drain plug was clogged and the water was getting inside my car. It quickly molded and if I pressed my finger on the carpet water pooled around it. Never again will I own a Nissan.
Judging by the amount of marks on your headlight and on your black (unpainted) center piece on the front end, I'd say you're a tailgater. That the difference between your mom's civic and your car. As for your other issues i don't know. My SR doesn't have a lot of marks, because i do not tailgate ever.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 AM

There definitely isn’t any overspray on the car or headlights. Here are slightly better pictures. (I just took these).

peep the touch up paint for the big gouge on my hood. That one I will say was a big rock and it hit hard. The other parts of the car though? Inexcusable for it to look like this.
Have you tried taking the car to a detail shop, see if they can remove some of them? Also when you rub on the spots, is it hard or do you feel bumps? I am not sure when in Jersey you are but I have used a place by Edison that basically made our Honda look factory new for less than $280...
Old 04-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel
Judging by the amount of marks on your headlight and on your black (unpainted) center piece on the front end, I'd say you're a tailgater. That the difference between your mom's civic and your car. As for your other issues i don't know. My SR doesn't have a lot of marks, because i do not tailgate ever.
I don’t tailgate that often and what you mean that it’s not painted? Of course it is. It might not be blue, but it’s still painted. The whole front end could have had a bad spray done on it.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:59 AM

Have you tried taking the car to a detail shop, see if they can remove some of them? Also when you rub on the spots, is it hard or do you feel bumps? I am not sure when in Jersey you are but I have used a place by Edison that basically made our Honda look factory new for less than $280...
yeah where I got it from I took it to the Cadillac detailer (he also works at an auto body shop) and he couldn’t even make it look better sadly. Edison is quite far from me. About an hour to an hour and a half or so
Old 04-23-2020, 07:31 AM

It will not help with this vehicle but when you replace it consider this for your next new car.

Clear bra is the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Anyone else having these issues?