8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Clicking noise when applying brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM

Clicking noise when applying brakes

I have a 2017 Maxima SL (around 40k miles). When backing out of my garage in the mornings, I hear a clicking noise when applying the brakes. Seems like the noise only occurs on the first starts of the day, regardless of ambient temperature. I do not hear the clicking noise when coming to a stop when driving.

Brake pads are still good. I brought the car to the dealer and, of course, they could not replicate the noise. I have had this noise for about a year or so. Sounds like the noise is coming from the front wheels but it's hard to make that determination.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:43 AM

Probably just the pads shifting in a new direction of travel...
Old 07-07-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by aviation76
I have a 2017 Maxima SL (around 40k miles). When backing out of my garage in the mornings, I hear a clicking noise when applying the brakes. Seems like the noise only occurs on the first starts of the day, regardless of ambient temperature. I do not hear the clicking noise when coming to a stop when driving.

Brake pads are still good. I brought the car to the dealer and, of course, they could not replicate the noise. I have had this noise for about a year or so. Sounds like the noise is coming from the front wheels but it's hard to make that determination.

. So only happens in your garage? Do you ever get a pulsation feeling in the steering wheel when you apply brakes after warmed up? For about how many feet would you say the clicking sound lasts? Finally, have you tried backing the car in for the night and then pulling forward out of the garage the next day to see if that clicking sound is duplicated?

Last edited by compyelc4; 07-07-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:43 PM

In my experience clicking sound is usually the pads not seated correctly in caliper and shifting around when applying brakes. Determine which wheel sound is coming from( easier to do if u have someone drive car and u can listen from outside ) and than check the brake pads and get them checked
Old 07-07-2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by scarface4522
In my experience clicking sound is usually the pads not seated correctly in caliper and shifting around when applying brakes. Determine which wheel sound is coming from( easier to do if u have someone drive car and u can listen from outside ) and than check the brake pads and get them checked
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Won't be able to diagnose correctly unless, as you say you have to find the culprit wheel first, then teardown of that brake assy. Easy as pie with experience.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Thanks, guys! I will have the dealer take a closer look at the pads. I will report back here after that occurs.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
. So only happens in your garage? Do you ever get a pulsation feeling in the steering wheel when you apply brakes after warmed up? For about how many feet would you say the clicking sound lasts? Finally, have you tried backing the car in for the night and then pulling forward out of the garage the next day to see if that clicking sound is duplicated?
Yes, it almost always happens when backing my car out of the garage...typically on a cold start. My driveway is sloped, so I immediately apply the brakes after traversing several feet out of the garage. This is when I usually here the click after depressing the brake pedal.

No, I do not feel anything in the steering wheel when applying the brakes after they have warmed up.

I will try parking the car outside overnight to see if the noise is duplicated the next day.

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions!
Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 PM

I’ve driven ‘17 maxima for 2 years and I started to had clicking noise at around 5K. Same situation backing from the driveway. At first it kinda bothered me but I kinda got used it.. anyways over the course of owning it I finally found the cause of it. It’s Nissan’s factory brake shims. It’s nothing serious just the way Nissan does the parts. I let the car go at 50K miles. with original tires and original brakes.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
I’ve driven ‘17 maxima for 2 years and I started to had clicking noise at around 5K. Same situation backing from the driveway. At first it kinda bothered me but I kinda got used it.. anyways over the course of owning it I finally found the cause of it. It’s Nissan’s factory brake shims. It’s nothing serious just the way Nissan does the parts. I let the car go at 50K miles. with original tires and original brakes.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am getting close to changing my brake pads (it's about that time). I will mention that and see if that resolves the issue.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by aviation76

I bought my 2018 Maxima a month ago and had the same issue one day while backing out of my driveway, turning left as i backed out. hadnt happened since
Old 10-24-2020, 11:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sigh

I was not the only one! I went to dealership for this issue, but they was not able to find any problem (or they were just lazy). Could you keep us posted? I’m so stressed out every morning.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:00 PM

Mine used to do that for a bit but it sorted itself out after a few months. Nothing to really worry about as far as I know. 2017 SL in case that matters.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem gone away

Originally Posted by patrivocax
I was not the only one! I went to dealership for this issue, but they was not able to find any problem (or they were just lazy). Could you keep us posted? I’m so stressed out every morning.
i replaced brake pads both front and rear yesterday, and clicking noise went away. I think my mechanic did not even check it up, but i think the reason of noise might be the some gap between brake parts or over / under torqued bolts.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by patrivocax
i replaced brake pads both front and rear yesterday, and clicking noise went away. I think my mechanic did not even check it up, but i think the reason of noise might be the some gap between brake parts or over / under torqued bolts.
it’s the little metal sheet that’s behind the pads that comes loose. It has happened to me before. I glued it back together with rightstuff and walla.