8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Just got a 2016 Maxima and the keys in the fob won’t open door

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a 2016 Maxima and the keys in the fob won’t open door

Just purchased a used 206 Nissan Maxima Platinum that came with two key fobs with keys in the fobs. The fobs don’t have a Nissan logo, but work to open the doors, trunk (no remote start button on the remote). The keys inside the fobs look like they are generic with no ridges in the top edge of the key. Do you think someone lost the original fobs and replaced them but didn’t get the manual keys in the fobs cut?
Could I also get fobs with the remote start button and they would actually work to start the Maxima (after the fobs are programmed)?
Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Johnskinner
Just purchased a used 206 Nissan Maxima Platinum that came with two key fobs with keys in the fobs. The fobs don’t have a Nissan logo, but work to open the doors, trunk (no remote start button on the remote). The keys inside the fobs look like they are generic with no ridges in the top edge of the key. Do you think someone lost the original fobs and replaced them but didn’t get the manual keys in the fobs cut?
Could I also get fobs with the remote start button and they would actually work to start the Maxima (after the fobs are programmed)?
Yes. If I were you I would order an OEM fob from where ever.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:22 AM

Or car was stolen. Especially if both are blanks.
What did carfax say?
Where did you buy it from?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:49 AM

IF you have to get new remotes for your vehicle I recommend CarandTruckRemotes.com. I have purchased an additional remote for my 2017 Maxima and also wife's 2019 Murano from them. Both worked perfectly. I always buy a third remote and hide it inside the vehicle, without battery, for use in an emergency. I stash a key so I can get inside the vehicle and get to the hidden remote.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM

Good idea...

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
IF you have to get new remotes for your vehicle I recommend CarandTruckRemotes.com. I have purchased an additional remote for my 2017 Maxima and also wife's 2019 Murano from them. Both worked perfectly. I always buy a third remote and hide it inside the vehicle, without battery, for use in an emergency. I stash a key so I can get inside the vehicle and get to the hidden remote.
I like to have a spare key as well, will try your method of hiding spare in the car without the battery, do you also have to have
a spare battery nearby?.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldblackie
I like to have a spare key as well, will try your method of hiding spare in the car without the battery, do you also have to have
a spare battery nearby?.
Don't really need a battery in the fob to start the car. Just hold the fob close to, or use the fob to push the button, and the car will start. I do keep a spare battery in my console in case the one in the fob I use dies.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:09 PM

Good idea...

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Don't really need a battery in the fob to start the car. Just hold the fob close to, or use the fob to push the button, and the car will start. I do keep a spare battery in my console in case the one in the fob I use dies.
Great, I have a spare key in my wallet for my other car, didn't know how to have spare for my maxima, I
will use your method.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lindros2
Or car was stolen. Especially if both are blanks.
What did carfax say?
Where did you buy it from?
This car was stolen for a day and returned to owner, then traded in. I bought it from a used car dealer 1st Choice Autos in Smyrna, GA, and knew this history before I purchased it.
We ended up going to our local Nissan Dealership where we live in Murfreesboro, TN, and they cut the new keys for us. On the phone, they said it would be $12 each, but didn't charge us when we had it done.

Also, when speaking to Nissan dealer on the phone, I asked about the remote start. I asked... "If I get a new Nissan key fob, and it is programmed correctly, will I be able to use the remote start from the new fob?", and I was told based on the last 4 digits of my VIN # that it wasn't included on my Maxima. But then today, I was looking through the Driver's dashboard setting menu, and found "Remote Engine Start" is set to "ON". Maybe I should look into getting a new Nissan OEM fob!