8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New alternator

Hello all,

I posted in this group a couple weeks ago talking about an issue I was having with my car stalling, shutting off and that it showed low voltage, since then I got a new alternator. OEM when I picked up the car the battery light was on, the mechanic said it needed a charge and to drive it around a ways and the light should shut off, I’ve drove it plenty far for the last week and the light is still on, so I brought it to him. He scanned it and it’s putting too much voltage. I like they said 15.5. So now he’s doing some research to see what could be going on, and it might possibly need another alternator. Can anyone help point me into the direction on fixing this issue, or tell me what is going on? I am a single working mother, I don’t have all this money laying around to buy new $900 alternators and I’m stuck with this car until it’s paid down and then I can trade it in? It has to last me for at least two more years. My car is so pretty and I love it, but this issue is so hard to figure out.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:53 AM

I take it you are not taking it to a dealer, but another shop. From my experience it is very odd that your mechanic gave you your car back with your battery / charging light on. This shows me that he is not very conscientious. Give him a day or two to check this out. If he is worth his salt, he should have this figured out, you should not have to pay another dime. If this guy can't figure it out, even though I am wary of dealers working on my car, I would bite the bullet and take it into a dealer. They will diagnose it correctly and fix your charging system. This will probably save you money in the long run. It is my bet that if the rest of the car is in reasonably good shape you should get many many more years of good use out of it. I don't think you need to trade it in, even if another little niggling problem shows up. It is so much smarter to fix up all the little things in a car, rather than trading them in. Please keep us posted as to what the problem was and how it was resolved.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I take it you are not taking it to a dealer, but another shop. From my experience it is very odd that your mechanic gave you your car back with your battery / charging light on. This shows me that he is not very conscientious. Give him a day or two to check this out. If he is worth his salt, he should have this figured out, you should not have to pay another dime. If this guy can't figure it out, even though I am wary of dealers working on my car, I would bite the bullet and take it into a dealer. They will diagnose it correctly and fix your charging system. This will probably save you money in the long run. It is my bet that if the rest of the car is in reasonably good shape you should get many many more years of good use out of it. I don't think you need to trade it in, even if another little niggling problem shows up. It is so much smarter to fix up all the little things in a car, rather than trading them in. Please keep us posted as to what the problem was and how it was resolved.
Well said advice.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you, I will keep you posted. They are gonna try to figure it out today.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:00 AM

You also might consider a new battery if you still have the original battery installed or if the battery is over 4 years old. At minimum have it load tested. These cars do all sorts of weird things if the battery or alternator show any sort of degradation.