Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Mill down 6th gen brakes to fit on stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:37 AM
this place is dead

Mill down 6th gen brakes to fit on stock rims?

Well,
since this section is suspension and brakes, has anyone milled down 6th gen calipers to fit 97 SE rims? I now have access to a milling machine and was wondering, since I roll stockers, and even if I had rims I would still have them on for winter. I have no intentions of being like irish with 5 different sets of rims in his basement.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Kevlo for President

No, please dont. I am pretty sure you need at least 17" rims to run the 12.6in rotor.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
STFU n00b!

I woudln't recommend it. the calipers are designed the way they are for a reason. taking a milling machine to them will severely weaken the structure... and it's stuff like that that will only fail when you need it to work the most... which usually results in VERY BAD things happening to you and your car.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Boss Chen Industries

caliper milling is usually not recommended due to the reasons Matt93se mentioned already.

You don't want to do anything that will compromise the structural integrity of the calilper.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
SomePsychoGuy

If you are talking about milling down a rotor then you shouldn't waste your time starting out with a 6th gen instead start with something smaller like a Z32 or J30 rotor.

As they said milling caliper is a bad idea.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
retired moderator

I think one of the problems you would face, even with light milling, is the high offset of your stock wheels. But....I think that certain 16's WOULD be able to clear the 6th gen setup, assuming it is a wheel with a low=profile inside edge and an offset around 35 or lower. John, next time we get together, we can test one of your wheels on my car and see exactly how much clearance is needed. My 17" 5zigens have plenty of clearance on the calipers, I'd say close to an inch.....
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I woudln't recommend it. the calipers are designed the way they are for a reason. taking a milling machine to them will severely weaken the structure... and it's stuff like that that will only fail when you need it to work the most... which usually results in VERY BAD things happening to you and your car.
I though I saw it done on a dirt stock car when I lived in NE Pa, that kid (who did it) works as a mechanic in a NASCAR crew in Atlanta or Darlington, can't remember which, but I can't get a hold of him for him to tell me it was unsafe he was just trying to win a race.

Ok guys, I know I've heard about putting some quick release connections on the calipers so at least I could change from stock to 6th gen calipers and then put the stocks back on for winter. Anyone else, or am I going to have to dig through my old GRM's and what not to prove that I'm not making it up?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
I think one of the problems you would face, even with light milling, is the high offset of your stock wheels. But....I think that certain 16's WOULD be able to clear the 6th gen setup, assuming it is a wheel with a low=profile inside edge and an offset around 35 or lower. John, next time we get together, we can test one of your wheels on my car and see exactly how much clearance is needed. My 17" 5zigens have plenty of clearance on the calipers, I'd say close to an inch.....
Thanks,
not sure when I'll take you up on that, but I will.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM

It's one thing to remove a little casting flash or minor surface roughness. It's quite another to trim any significant amount of thickness from the bridge. Caliper stiffness starts to suffer as a [thickness]^3 function, with the end result being a slightly softer pedal since the extra flex requires more fluid for any given line pressure. For reference, the loss in strength isn't quite as fast, only being a [thickness]^2 relation.

Norm
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I though I saw it done on a dirt stock car when I lived in NE Pa, that kid (who did it) works as a mechanic in a NASCAR crew in Atlanta or Darlington, can't remember which, but I can't get a hold of him for him to tell me it was unsafe he was just trying to win a race.

Ok guys, I know I've heard about putting some quick release connections on the calipers so at least I could change from stock to 6th gen calipers and then put the stocks back on for winter. Anyone else, or am I going to have to dig through my old GRM's and what not to prove that I'm not making it up?

Not making what up? I see quick releases on brake line fittings all the time for racing..
machining down the caliper? yeah, I've seen it done as well. I've also seen people lighten crankshafts with disc grinders, and heat their springs with oxy-acetylene torches. that doesn't make it right though.