Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Anyone interested in D2 BBK's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Anyone interested in D2 BBK's???

I was over at Urban Import yesterday hanging out for a bit and noticed that Mike had this awesome BBK kit.
I'll snag some pictures if I can... but D2 makes em for our cars!!!
Somewhere in the 1400 range will include brakcets, pads, calipers, rotors, lines.
Bolt on and STOP.

Mike
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Still kickin'

Get us some pic's mike, and some spec's while you're at it!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
vsamoylov

hmm interesting

Old 08-04-2006, 05:46 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
hmm interesting
why would it be to you?

Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM
retired moderator

When dealing with something as important as brakes, I personally would rather go with a brand that's well-known and long-proven like Brembo, Wilwood, or the various OEM conversions.

Not to mention, most of them can be had for cheaper than $1400.

just my 2cents though....
Old 08-04-2006, 07:08 PM
this place is dead

spoiler........
Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 PM

I just found out they had em and I thought I'de through it out there.

I'll get the specs on em.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
spoiler........
Hell no....just saying that more information is needed for any of us to comment. I've personally never seen a car with D2 brakes, so I have no basis to pass judgement, either positive or negative.

we don't need pics, we need specs, FTW!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
I just found out they had em and I thought I'de through it out there.

I'll get the specs on em.
as usual, we're on the same wavelength it appears...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 PM

they sell them on ebay, i saw them and was amazed...8 piston bbk....wow...but then i saw the price.... =(
Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM

I rode in the G35 with em yesterday.... Holy crap.
I'm gonna get the specs on em as soon as I can... i'm also probably going to get a set for my car to "test" em out.

Mike
Old 08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Kevlo for President

They will be the same as the Ksports which are already being sold in the GD forum.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Or at least the same general design.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Probably made by the same manufacturer. Although its a scary thought for an 8piston bbk. Did anyone read the Stoptech articles?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 AM

Yeah, as much as people like to say differently..
Ksports and D2's are made by the same people.......
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 AM

Proof, please?

Anyway, even if they are made by the same people, that doesn't mean they're the same product.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Proof, please?

Anyway, even if they are made by the same people, that doesn't mean they're the same product.

I swear Ksport pays you.. They must. And if they arent you should get a better agent.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM
retired moderator

I don't see how 8 circular pistons can fit into this design. Unless they're using some odd scalloped cylinders, which would seem to me to not be the best design for even pressure distribution.

Also not really impressed with the pad retainer setup. Looks kind of wimpy with those little metal flaps...and I personally will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy any suspension or braking or underbody components that use hex-head screws/bolts. Too easy for those things to strip, especially once they get rusty (which they WILL if they are near the wheels).

Plus, they are REALLY gay looking, IMO. The "8 PISTON RACING" logo and color looks like it should be on some '80s car

They may work great, and I'll certainly be interested in seeing if anyone is going to try them out. As for me, the design, looks, and price are all a step below the other BBKs out there (Wilwood, Brembo, Stillen, etc), IMO.

I am, however, a bit interested in whether the rotors (330mm = 13") would be a direct swap for the cobra rotors used in Jeff's kit with the Z32 calipers.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Wild for Width

D2 makes quality products but I agree with Irish's comments on longevity.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Play with my balls

You want a true BBK? Buy mine for a fraction of the price!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=486819
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Proof, please?

If they are made by the same people, i.e. generic application, then they are the same product... just marketed under different brand names

As for proof, i've seen the Taiwan manufacturer that makes components for both companies. If you notice both of them use generic shock designs with a simple change in machined aluminum lower brackets and upper camber plates to match the specific vehicle. The company name is Fu Bu Auto, Inc. located in Taichung, Taiwan. They supposedly produce OEM components for vehicles but are more known in Taiwan for cheap products and worldwide for ripping off the D2 logo and pictures of the actual D2 Technik company in Germany (commonly known for the DTM Mercedes)

And what happened to everyone crying about brake bias? All of a sudden a company throws out a 8 piston kit and everyone is clamoring all over it. The biggest concern is brake caliper technology that these smaller companies don't have the experience in compared to Brembo, Wilwood, Stoptech, and AP Racing
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
If they are made by the same people, i.e. generic application, then they are the same product... just marketed under different brand names
Not if they're made to different specs, with different features.

Like how the D2s use Allen bolts to secure the lower mounts, whereas the Ksports have locking collars. And how the D2s have Teflon coated threads on the damper bodies, whereas the Ksports do not. And how D2's damping adjusters fit with the hood closed, whereas Ksport's do not.

As for proof, i've seen the Taiwan manufacturer that makes components for both companies.
So now they're separate companies, sharing a manufacturer? Make up your mind...

If you notice both of them use generic shock designs with a simple change in machined aluminum lower brackets and upper camber plates to match the specific vehicle.
That just means they use the same strategy. Whooptie doo. Ever seen coilover sets in Japan? There are TONS of brands that use essentially the same design.

The company name is Fu Bu Auto, Inc. located in Taichung, Taiwan. They supposedly produce OEM components for vehicles but are more known in Taiwan for cheap products and worldwide for ripping off the D2 logo and pictures of the actual D2 Technik company in Germany (commonly known for the DTM Mercedes)
<edited after some research>
That's D2's parent company. But I find it hard to believe that it's also Ksport's, since many people related to Ksport -- i.e. retailers and distributors -- have insisted that Ksport is a Japanese company and is completely separate. It's your word against theirs until you show us some documentation.

For the record, I have no problem with the notion that D2 and Ksport may have the same parent company or something. All I'm arguing is the logic that leads people to that conclusion.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Boss Chen Industries

It matters little to me whether they are made or who they are made by. I don't quite care nor understand the point of your argument.

I'm not going to spend my time overseas to find documentation to prove you and just you wrong. If you happen to be in Taiwan then you can take a look for yourself at the factory where both sets sit side by side. A manufacturer is not going to leak out confidential information on what company they are producing for.

I wasn't arguing about marketing strategy or anything of that sort. Ksport is a Japanese company, but that doesn't mean the product is made in Japan. Many American companies have products made elsewhere.

i'm not trying to bash the company, so the "my word against theirs" argument is pointless. As for Ksport retailers and distributors actually knowing the origins of the product, thats quite laughable. They care about sales, regardless of how/why/when/where its made.

Unless you work for D2 or Ksport and have seen the manufacturing process, you are just going by what you see/hear/know on the internet, thank you sir.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Unless you work for D2 or Ksport and have seen the manufacturing process, you are just going by what you see/hear/know on the internet, thank you sir.
Since I'm seeing/hearing/knowing what you're posting on the Internet, does that mean your word is equally untrustworthy?

You know what though... If you don't understand the point I was trying to make, that probably had something to do with the deleriously sleep-deprived state I made it in. I probably misunderstood what you were saying and didn't argue straight. Sorry to have taken up so much space with all that.

In any event, your main point is that Ksport and D2 make the same products, yes? But all you've really said is that they're made in the same factory. That's fine, but there are lots of cases of items made in the same factory that are significantly different. I can tell you for sure, having ridden on both D2 and Ksport coilovers for the Maxima, that they are subtly but materially different in their function in addition to the obvious external differences.

You personally have a stake in trying to prove that D2 and Ksport make the same products because that helps you make the "it's all the same crap" argument that seems central to your marketing of the Boss Chens. That's why I'm skeptical. If you're not going to find/present documentation, you can't expect people to believe what you say.

Of course, that's just the coilovers. This BBK definitely looks IDENTICAL to Ksport's... If anything is just a collection of cheap-stuff parts from a third party being re-badged, this has got to be it. I wonder what the official explanation for that is...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Hence my point was that it matters little whether what you or I say. I've seen the manufacturing process and you've ridden in cars with d2/ksports, so I guess that makes things even

I understand your point, hence I can't figure out why your so adament in defending a company when i'm not bashing their product.

My point wasn't to make reference to their coilovers, but to the BBK mentioned in the thread. If there is one manufacturer producing parts for both companies (in this case the brakes), I think it would be important for users to know

I don't need to prove nor am I implying that same manufacturer = crap. And if you take the time to talk to people that actually own the B.C's, you'll know that i'm not trying to market them or mass produce them by talking down other companies. Then do a search to find threads where I refer customers to other brands of coilovers that are more suited for them

Thank you sir.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:14 AM

BTW, did anyone notice that the two halves of the caliper are slightly offset from each other at the top?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:04 PM
retired moderator

BTW, did anyone notice that the two halves of the caliper are slightly offset from each other at the top?
yeah I noticed but didn't say anything, to give them the benefit of the doubt

Can't say much for the quality though if they can't even mill the halves to match up - makes you wonder how everything else lines up, and how close the tolerances of the pistons are (i.e. how good is the seal).

I find it interesting that on D2's site there are about 10 pics of the caliper assembly, but NONE of them show what the pistons look like. I don't know about you, but last I checked the pistons are the most important part of the caliper, so I'd sure like to see what the piston design looks like. Non-circular pistons would be VERY difficult to maintain a good fluid seal on, compared to circular pistons on most calipers,....

Overall I think they just look cheaply-made, and the components (clips, screws, etc) just do not look like well-thought-out designs IMO.

Other question centers on availability of pads.

As to the argument as to who makes what where...

KSports are orange, D2's are pink. Clearly they are not the same!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 AM
VIP Maxima

those calipers are just TOO ugly for me to look at the specs !

Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
retired moderator

Every time I look at them, I think of the smiley here. Pretty much the same color.