Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

What is Wilwood's lowest profile caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
SLOW

What is Wilwood's lowest profile caliper?

When I say lowest profile, I mean caliper that would allow the smallest diameter wheel to be used with any given rotor setup. I am going to be doing another BBK this year so I can get back out on the road course with my car. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to put one together that would still allow me to utilize 15" wheels so I don't have to go taking my BBK off in order to head to the drag strip with my slicks. This will require the lowest profile caliper possible. Preferably one with dust seals.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Caliper profile is important but so is rotor size. You will not get a decent size rotor under a 15" wheel no matter what caliper you use. Also if you are using stock sawblades etc for wheels you are obviously going to have a problem with lateral caliper clearance.

You will be lucky if you're able to find a 12.2" rotor and caliper that clear 15" wheels. I suppose you could up the rotor thickness it might be worth it, but you'd have to mill down the rotor, probably fab up custom caliper relocation brackets etc. =\

Then again it might be doable, that's just my $.02.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Caliper profile is important but so is rotor size. You will not get a decent size rotor under a 15" wheel no matter what caliper you use. Also if you are using stock sawblades etc for wheels you are obviously going to have a problem with lateral caliper clearance.

You will be lucky if you're able to find a 12.2" rotor and caliper that clear 15" wheels. I suppose you could up the rotor thickness it might be worth it, but you'd have to mill down the rotor, probably fab up custom caliper relocation brackets etc. =\

Then again it might be doable, that's just my $.02.
I know... I need to start with first things first, finding out the lowest profile caliper available and from there I can start taking measurements as to what fits and what doesn't. This will be my 3rd maxima BBK so I know what goes into it.

2005 mustang owners are able to fit a few select 15" wheels over their stock front calipers and rotors which are 12.2". My 15" drag wheels may not fit over those brakes, but dropping the rotor size down a bit isn't a problem if necessary. Starting with the lowest profile caliper though will give me the most head-room to work with and I can size the rotor as necessary once I've decided on a caliper. Nothing is set in stone yet as I'm exploring options at this point. I really want to stay out of the "swap rotors before and after the drag strip" game that I used to play back in 2003-2004 if I can.