Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

suspension bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

suspension bushings

so i looked the ES website at the bushings and they look........cool...lol. I dont know what they do other than what people are telling me (im talking personal experience) but sense the general opinion seems to be that i replace these first i have a few questions.

how much are they? the site didnt list prices and i called and was put on hold.
show i replace all of them? or are there only certain ones i should get?
is this something i need to pay to have done? if so how much should i expect to pay?

and most important what should I expect to "feel" from the car when they are installed? will I know if something isnt done correctly?

also...im planning on getting a FSTB and a blehmco lower tie bar...should i wait to put these on till after i get the bushings or does it not make a difference?

Thanks for the help in advance

B
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
nycnissans

ES control arm bushings are deffinately a +
I have them and love them.

I have a pair of lower control arms for sale that are perfect for the bushing upgrade if you are doing it yourself and want to reduce downtime. $50 + actual shipping

http://www.nycnissans.com/showthread.php?t=3037

I would get new balljoints as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
ES control arm bushings are deffinately a +
I have them and love them.

I have a pair of lower control arms for sale that are perfect for the bushing upgrade if you are doing it yourself and want to reduce downtime. $50 + actual shipping

http://www.nycnissans.com/showthread.php?t=3037

I would get new balljoints as well.
so lower control arm bushings and balljoint bushings? or just new ball joints? anything else?

and can i do this myself? what tools do i need? what kind of experience do i need? (i have none)

B
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
so lower control arm bushings and balljoint bushings? or just new ball joints? anything else?

and can i do this myself? what tools do i need? what kind of experience do i need? (i have none)

B
do i need all the bushings listed on ES's website? I know i want the shifter bushings and control arm bushings but do i need the sub frame, sway bar, trailing arm and motor mount bushings?

B
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Suspension Yoda

This is not something we can answer for you. All I can say is that yes, they make a difference, and yes, they offer better handling for your car.

'Need' is a matter of preference - if the time and money spent will be worth the gain in handling is your choice.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
This is not something we can answer for you. All I can say is that yes, they make a difference, and yes, they offer better handling for your car.

'Need' is a matter of preference - if the time and money spent will be worth the gain in handling is your choice.
what i want is a better handling car. what i dont want to is to spend money for some that the general population says has a minimal effect on handling. Im not tracking the car or anything i just want a better ride. if control arm bushings and sway bar bushings are ok than thats what ill buy, if you "recommend" something else as well thats all im looking for

B
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Suspension Yoda

Fair enough...

Motor mounts help quite a bit with wheel hop. The subframe bushings (IMHO) don't do a lot, but if you're doing the motor mounts, you might as well - they're simple and cheap.

The ES trailing arm bushings do make a big difference in the rear.

That pretty much covers it. I'd also suggest replacing your sway bar links and ball joints with Moog parts when you're doing the control arms.

FYI, I'm going to have full control arms with ES bushings & Moog balljoints already installed for sale soon. Simple swap, no need to find someone with a press.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM

what i want is a better handling car. what i dont want to is to spend money for some that the general population says has a minimal effect on handling. Im not tracking the car or anything i just want a better ride. if control arm bushings and sway bar bushings are ok than thats what ill buy, if you "recommend" something else as well thats all im looking for

B
kinda depends on driving style and how you define driving style... on that note if you like to get on it right out of the hole then you will love the motor mounts,..(might was well do subframe too..there on the crossmember where the motor mounts are)....the hardest part is knowing someone/somewhere with a press that wont kill you in price to press them in..i would love to have every bushing they offer,..maybe someday i will lol.. but right now i dont really know anyone with a press
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM

?

also...im planning on getting a FSTB and a blehmco lower tie bar...should i wait to put these on till after i get the bushings or does it not make a difference?

B
on a side note.. i would get a progress RSB before a LTB,..RSB combined with FSTB will give you a better feel/control over the car ,.. then followed closely by a LTB,..and FYI Brian has them on sale for 144shipped IIRC,..just speaking from experience
Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM

thanks! talked to brian and he told me the same thing...so i will be ordering my RSB next week

B
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Fair enough...

Motor mounts help quite a bit with wheel hop. The subframe bushings (IMHO) don't do a lot, but if you're doing the motor mounts, you might as well - they're simple and cheap.

The ES trailing arm bushings do make a big difference in the rear.

That pretty much covers it. I'd also suggest replacing your sway bar links and ball joints with Moog parts when you're doing the control arms.

FYI, I'm going to have full control arms with ES bushings & Moog balljoints already installed for sale soon. Simple swap, no need to find someone with a press.
thanks for the info

new? how much? i may call dibs right now if the price is right

B
Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

No, not new. 40k on the bushings, 15k on the balljoints. The arms themselves were bought then promptly stripped for the bushings, so they have 40k on them too

If you're interested just PM me, I don't want to corrupt this informational thread into a classified ad.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 10-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM

No, not new. 40k on the bushings, 15k on the balljoints. The arms themselves were bought then promptly stripped for the bushings, so they have 40k on them too

If you're interested just PM me, I don't want to corrupt this informational thread into a classified ad.
PM sent

B
Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

suspension bushings is comprised of active shocks and struts that work along with a system of linkage mechanisms. to have your ride seamlessly adapt to road irregularities, suspension linkages, bars, and supports are made tough enough to get through the roughest.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

Thanks for that informative post.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Got Retrofit?

Thanks for that informative post.
Just look at his sig.