Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

'94-03 Rear Brake Upgrade option...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:00 PM
^ Jeff™

Just more info after some email convos with Brian at Fastbrakes.

The kit sold above was under the assumption that all calipers between 89-2003 were the same. In general, yes they are...except one difference. The pad sits lower/closer to the hub on the earlier models so it necessitates the bracket to sit closer to the hub.

Also...
Originally Posted by Per Hawk HPS info
Interestingly, the earlier years seem to have a larger height than '00-03.
*94-Oct'00 = 4.14"L x 1.84"H
*Nov'00-03 = 4.15"L x 1.69"H
So that leaves .15" less pad surface for the majority of 5th gen Maximas...or 3.81mm less. Crazy huh?

So if you look at the design in the pics, the pads on the '94-00 sit lower/closer to the hub. '00-03 sit higher up.

Other than the pad difference, the essential design of the caliper seems to be the same...the rotor is even the same diameter between 1990-2003 (10.93"), same part #. It is just the torque bracket that was changed/moved outward...probably to help with cooling?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So what is the final verdict?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 AM
^ Jeff™

I was on stock front brakes when I first did this mod, so my driving impressions are more clearly geared to what the rear upgrade has accomplished. I can tell the rear brakes are biased over the fronts right now, which is inevitable running my stock fronts. I was able to lock up the rears pretty easily whereas in the past I only felt the fronts doing all the work. I know it’s only my ‘impression’ of how the brakes feel now but I can definitely tell the rears are much stronger.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Just got my rear BBK from Fastbrakes for my 02 Maxima!!

And since I'm powdercoating my calipers Black I decided to coat the brackets high gloss black!!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have a front BBK, rear BBK, 4 brand new calipers, all new brake pads, stainless steel brake lines and a fresh batch of braking fluid. Should have all this installed in about a couple weeks. With all that installed its going to be an EPIC difference in braking!!! I'll let you guys know!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax

I will give them a call sometime this week.
Finally got the rear brake kit from Fastbrakes the other week.

It took a while as some parts from the kit were out of stock, then Brian sent the dog bones & hardware but with the wrong set of rear rotors to me (slotted/xdrilled), finally last week I got the correct solid rotors and the torque members for this kit. I am looking to install this kit this weekend or next weekend, will see how it pans out.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM

I went to the shop today and they had the rear rotors on from the fastbrake kit...here is a pic:

They still have to paint the hub part black. I'll post full pics once its all put together.

As promised pics of the Fastbrake Rear Brake kit:

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-03-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
^ Jeff™

Did they install the rotors on the wrong sides?

Normally I see the slots moving up and away from the rotor when the wheel rolls forward. (except Mercedes for some reason)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MrEous
Did they install the rotors on the wrong sides?

Normally I see the slots moving up and away from the rotor when the wheel rolls forward. (except Mercedes for some reason)
Actually its not the slot...it depends on the directional vanes inside the rotor.....since there are none there really is no correct way. but this way seems to be the correct way for most slotted rotors...

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm

Last edited by ranmas2004; 05-12-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Lightly modded

Are there any more updates on this kit? I want to get it but I need to figure out an issue I'm having with my front brakes first.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

Per Brian at Fastbrakes: The rotors are from Hondas...the center is modified by 4mm to accept the Nissan size.
i find this ironic and funny,

back in topic, is there a difference even tho the caliper is not being upgraded? i guess not upgraded the caliper and just the rotors is a hard concept for me to under stand
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
^ Jeff™

I gave an initial impression when I first installed them...
I was on stock front brakes when I first did this mod, so my driving impressions are more clearly geared to what the rear upgrade has accomplished. I can tell the rear brakes are biased over the fronts right now, which is inevitable running my stock fronts. I was able to lock up the rears pretty easily whereas in the past I only felt the fronts doing all the work. I know it’s only my ‘impression’ of how the brakes feel now but I can definitely tell the rears are much stronger.
I now have a 13" BBK up front and the braking feels very smooth now. I half expected the 13" fronts to result in an almost stock bias with the relocated rears but I was wrong. The bias is still improved over stock. Don't get me wrong, the fronts still do a lot of the work...but the braking feel is more comfortable/predictable now.

The 12.3" in the rear look a lot better under my 19s too. --LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Finally got the rear brake kit from Fastbrakes the other week.

It took a while as some parts from the kit were out of stock, then Brian sent the dog bones & hardware but with the wrong set of rear rotors to me (slotted/xdrilled), finally last week I got the correct solid rotors and the torque members for this kit. I am looking to install this kit this weekend or next weekend, will see how it pans out.
Same thing happened to me, I just got my solid rotors two days ago after he sent the wrong ones. Just got my new front 12.6" rotors in as well today, so I'm getting closer to installing my set up soon.

Have any of you done a master cylinder upgrade? I'm going with the Z32 4 piston calipers and I am concerned about the increased pedal travel screwing up my heel and toe downshifting..I plan on tracking this thing so it is a concern.

*Quick update* After talking to Brian at Fastbrakes about upgrading the master cylinder, he stated that the stock master will work fine and does not need to be changed as the surface area of the stock Maxima piston is actually larger (by a small amount) than the total surface combined on the Z32 calipers, so I'm going ahead as planned with my stock one. Installing everything Sunday.

Last edited by back2basics; 07-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Lightly modded

Well I installed the kit this weekend and was pretty happy with the results, if not the design of the dog bone. Check it out in my build thread, post #101.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM
^ Jeff™

Welcome to the club...lol.

I posted in that thread but when I installed mine I ended up flipping the dogbone around since it didn't seem like it fit right. No problems since.

Click for LARGER size
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
i find this ironic and funny,

back in topic, is there a difference even tho the caliper is not being upgraded? i guess not upgraded the caliper and just the rotors is a hard concept for me to under stand
Think of it like this. Try tightening a bolt real tight with a wrench that has a 3 inch long handle......then do the same with a wrench that has a 12 inch handle. You can put more torque on the bolt with the longer handle because you have more leverage from the longer handle of the wrench. Same with the brakes. Bigger rotors more leverage brakes have on the rotor to stop it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Finally got around to trying to install this kit and ran into some problems.

First off the bolts that came with the kit are a joke, they are too short and they are grade 8.8 metric bolts. I had some grade 10.9 hardware in the garage and decided to use those bolts instead. Even though these are rear brakes I would strongly suggest using the higher grade bolts.

Secondly I had to flip the dogbone as other people have done to use the least amount of washers and to get the rotor centered to the middle of the brake caliper bracket. I only had to use one slim washer per bolt in-between the hub and dogbone.

Name:  IMG_20130402_210813_747_zps70501137.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  70.1 KB

Also I didn't like the hub to aluminum dogbone bolt setup, even though there is plenty of room for a longer bolt and nut combo. So I used a longer M10 x 1.5 x 35 bolt, flat washer, and serrated flange nut.

For the other bolt I used a M10 x 1.25 x 40 bolt with a flat and locking washer. The 30 mm bolts provided for this barely were threading into the caliper bracket so I went with a longer and stronger bolt for safety. I could of used a 35 mm bolt with a flat washer but I went a little longer and had to add the locking washer so the bolt thread wouldn't touch the rotor.

So after all this and I thought I was home free. Until the third problem. I've been using cheap Autozone calipers for years and sure enough the damn pistons are seized and won't retract back into the caliper housing. So I am left with this for tonight...

Name:  IMG_20130402_224334_697_zpsdda5d762.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 AM

I had that same problem with those GARBAGE bolts. I was actually driving down the street and the braking into a stop sign and the dam BOLT came out of the caliper flopped over. It was the bottom bracket bolt on the passenger side. So I could not drive forward and I had to drive home in reverse. Glad I was only 2 blocks from home and not on the freeway when this happened. I immediately went to a hardware store and upgraded ALL the bolts to that 10.9 and then sealed them with some loctite as well. Never anymore problems since then.

Last edited by ranmas2004; 04-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Lightly modded

Ugh, I may as well chime in too.

(All this is copied from my build thread)

I too used longer bolts when I did the initial install, although I think they were just grade 8.8 bolts.

This is how far the bolt that came with the kit came through the bracket with four washers. Since it wasn't 100% threaded, we replaced it with a longer bolt.

Name:  708201bc.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  198.4 KB

Name:  f1cae8da.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  246.6 KB

Four washers:

Name:  79c4fecb.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  259.6 KB

This is what it looks like if you follow the FB directions, 4 spacers!

Name:  017_zpsffd0678d.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  020_zpsbcac90a3.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  129.3 KB

Not so good. Well we flipped them, and guess what? It's perfect!
Name:  029_zps6d6251ea.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  031_zpsb2d6cf89.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  166.5 KB

Except it's not perfect.

Ever since we flipped the brackets I've been getting a terrible noise coming from my rear brakes at low speeds, and I had the e-brake seize up on me a few times this winter when it got real cold. These calipers are only a year or so old, and I replaced the e-brake lines about three years ago. I'm hoping all I need to do is service the calipers, but I just find it odd that the problem only showed up directly after I flipped the dog bones. As long as I'm the only one with the problem, I'll assume the problem is on my end and isn't related to flipping the bracket around.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Yeah I don't know if they improved this kit since last year, but I would use longer grade 10.9 bolts without a doubt. I've heard from several different sources that metric hardware for brakes and suspension should always be grade 10.9 or better.

On my car when the rotor was bolted to the hub and how it sat in-between in relation to the black caliper bracket; it wasn't even on both sides. If you look at the pics I had to use a slim washer between the caliper bracket and aluminum dog bones to make it almost even. There are four included in the kit and I used a digital caliper to measure the thickness of each one so they were matched evenly. If I had a brake rotor run out gauge I would check run out as well, I really don't trust the quality on this kit now.

After I replace the seized rear calipers for the 5th or 6th time on this car I will report back on any noise or caliper issues. Though today I have to replace the front wheel bearing on my truck so thats my main focus.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Lightly modded

Yeah I don't know if they improved this kit since last year, but I would use longer grade 10.9 bolts without a doubt. I've heard from several different sources that metric hardware for brakes and suspension should always be grade 10.9 or better.

On my car when the rotor was bolted to the hub and how it sat in-between in relation to the black caliper bracket; it wasn't even on both sides. If you look at the pics I had to use a slim washer between the caliper bracket and aluminum dog bones to make it almost even. There are four included in the kit and I used a digital caliper to measure the thickness of each one so they were matched evenly. If I had a brake rotor run out gauge I would check run out as well, I really don't trust the quality on this kit now.

After I replace the seized rear calipers for the 5th or 6th time on this car I will report back on any noise or caliper issues. Though today I have to replace the front wheel bearing on my truck so thats my main focus.
Hmm, I'll have to start looking around for a place that sells high quality bolts around me. Where do you pick yours up from?

And what is it with the rear calipers on these cars? I went through one or two sets of A1 Cardone calipers (utter garbage!!) before finding the WBR remans that seem to be of higher quality. Except these sure seem to be exhibiting symptoms of being seized now.....ugh.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Glad I've waited to get this kit.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM

When you get the longer stronger bolts the kit is fine. I've had no problems since, no vibration, nothing. Stopping power is noticable better with the front and rear brake kit that I have.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
^ Jeff™

I haven't done anything with my rear kit since installing last year and everything's held up fine. (used the bolts from the kit too) :-/
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Hmm, I'll have to start looking around for a place that sells high quality bolts around me. Where do you pick yours up from?

And what is it with the rear calipers on these cars? I went through one or two sets of A1 Cardone calipers (utter garbage!!) before finding the WBR remans that seem to be of higher quality. Except these sure seem to be exhibiting symptoms of being seized now.....ugh.
Boltdepot.com for steel hardware and www.probolt-usa.com for Al & Ti hardware. I have a lot of grade 10.9 metric bolts lying around from all the years of trying different projects and what not.

Autozone rear calipers suck, I think Nissan's design sucks. I've only had the pistons retract once back into the caliper housing and that was when I had to replace the rear brake pads on my '98. Only reason they worked because the calipers were the original calipers that came with the car and the car only had 50 ~ 60K miles on it.

I am going to try the NAPA rear calipers and see how it goes. They at least come painted black. For $88 bucks each, I will see how they turn out over time.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I haven't done anything with my rear kit since installing last year and everything's held up fine. (used the bolts from the kit too) :-/
I used your pic as a guide when installing my kit.

But for some reason the black M10 x 1.25 x 30 mm bolts wouldn't thread into those caliper brackets. So I stopped messing around with the kit bolts and opted for longer 10.9 hardware.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Got done with the brake kit earlier today. Had one of the bracket holes strip out and I had to drill & tap so I could use a M12 x 1.25 x 40 mm bolt.

Besides the crappy bracket everything else went together all right. No noises or squeaks once I bedded the pads, everything sounded just fine.

With the 12.6" 300ZX BBK up front, brake bias is shifted back a little bit and I like it. Reminds me of my stock '98 brakes when they were a bit touchy and stopped rather quickly.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Lightly modded

Well I figured out my grinding problem. Turns out when we flipped the bracket around, we should have put the washer on the inside, rather than the outside of the caliper bracket.

Having the washer here (it was already moved when I took this pic) caused the rotor to rub against the caliper bracket:
Name:  058_zpsfdee1bfb.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  67.4 KB

And having it like this is perfect!
Name:  059_zpsc16f59d2.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  62.3 KB
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Kevlo for President

im tempted to buy this kit
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
im tempted to buy this kit
It feels really good
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
^ Jeff™

It feels really good
...once all the little nuances are squared away.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Tome for rear brakes. Only thing I don't like is the requirement to use crossed drilled and slitted rotors. I'd rather have a blank, or just slotted since my fronts are only slotted, but ah well. Better than the wittle rotors on there now.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Tome for rear brakes. Only thing I don't like is the requirement to use crossed drilled and slitted rotors. I'd rather have a blank, or just slotted since my fronts are only slotted, but ah well. Better than the wittle rotors on there now.
Is the drilled thing a new requirement? I got mine in slotted only
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM
dot dot dot ...

Is the drilled thing a new requirement? I got mine in slotted only
Sounds familiar, looking at my old emails from FB and it looks as if it is an option, just not so obvious on the website, thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Mine are solid, Brian sent me drilled and slotted at first but the purchase order said solid rotors. So he sent me a set of solids and told me to the keep the other set as it wasn't worth to ship it back to him.

Oh this kit held up just fine with Carbotech XP-8 pads on a track day. Just make the changes people have mentioned in this thread and use grade 10.9 hardware.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Sounds good, I appreciate the advice. Wont make any purchase until after the holiday, but this thread helped tons.

Also, coming from rider and you, makes me really trust the integrity of this kit. Damn car abusers you.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
^ Jeff™

Yup...when you talk to Brian make sure you say you want solid rotors and he will knock down the price a little. (not that my original post said that! - hahahaha)

The kit on fastbrakes.com is $300+shipping but if you call you can get a blank rotor for $50 less from Brian.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 PM

Question for those of you who have installed this kit.
The fastbrakes site has this kit listed (http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/...0rear%2012.htm) but mentions "Must use caliper brackets and pads from 1989-1994 Maxima".
My impression from your write-ups is that you used your existing brackets and pads- did I misinterpret? If you did use the 89-94 bracket, was it supplied with the kit (I assume no) or was Brian able to provide 89-94 brackets (pad holders) at additional cost?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 03:48 AM
^ Jeff™

You'll need to get the bracket on your own since he lists it on there now. He didn't know about the bracket difference till I brought it up.

NOTE: I did have to grind down the lip from the new bracket:
How? http://forums.maxima.org/8392779-post39.html
Why? http://forums.maxima.org/8397965-post41.html
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly Jeff, and for your review of the kit. Now I understand the requirement- so you did use the earlier bracket for your 03.
Did you use 03 pads, or the correspondingly earlier pad also? Was the grinding down of a portion of the bracket to allow use of the 03 pad? Thanks for the further clarification, cheers.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by StevieB
Thanks for responding so quickly Jeff, and for your review of the kit. Now I understand the requirement- so you did use the earlier bracket for your 03.
Did you use 03 pads, or the correspondingly earlier pad also? Was the grinding down of a portion of the bracket to allow use of the 03 pad? Thanks for the further clarification, cheers.
Damn I should have added that

I used stock '03 pads since I had some Hawk HPS pads already. So if you're using the earlier bracket then the same year pads, if used, will NOT require you to grind down the lip.

Sorry about that! Good luck, the written instructions suck! <---Just a forewarning

Quick Reply: '94-03 Rear Brake Upgrade option...