Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

coilovers vs spring combo?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM

coilovers vs spring combo?

im looking for suggestions on a nice ride and excellent handling for 99 max se-l 5spd
more interested in having handling
but want to drop my max
would like reviews on wat u and who ever u know has same vehicle and ride quality
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jaeazy
im looking for suggestions on a nice ride and excellent handling for 99 max se-l 5spd
more interested in having handling
but want to drop my max
would like reviews on wat u and who ever u know has same vehicle and ride quality
There are different schools of thought about which is better, coils or spring and strut combos... and it is truly up to the owner of the car. You get what you pay for, so if you think you are gonna have a pillow soft ride on some 300 dollar coilovers you are crazy. There are maintenance issues with coilovers seeing has how they are more track geared, but you have adjustable ride height etc... try going into the search button on the top of the forum and typing "coils vs lowering springs." See what pops up, it will be a good read.

Finally, I roll on D2 coilovers w/ a 2.5 inch drop on 19's. My ride is buttery.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM

right now im on progress springs and illuminas and the ride is firm enough to handle the road but comfortable enough to be a daily driver.. i am upgrading to tein coilovers ina week or so mainly for the adjustability of height... otherwise id keep my springs... theyre comfortable....although i can honestly say ive never been in a car with coilovers...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
right now im on progress springs and illuminas and the ride is firm enough to handle the road but comfortable enough to be a daily driver.. i am upgrading to tein coilovers ina week or so mainly for the adjustability of height... otherwise id keep my springs... theyre comfortable....although i can honestly say ive never been in a car with coilovers...

i was in a civic with coilovers and they bounce..lol like a quick bounce...ive seen other cars like that but like slammed cars..i was wondering if it was just the nature of coilovers..you might or might not know.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM

I've had both.

Spring/Strut combo:

Advantages: Better parts availability, Some customizability between different strut/spring combos.

Disadvantages: Installation is a hassle, spring compressors suck. At lower heights you will bottom out very often which will shorten the life of the strut. Height is not adjustable.

Coilovers:

Advantages: Completely adjustable. Spring rates, dampening (Most) and height. Made of component pieces, Cartridge fails, you can get a new cartridge, pillowball fails, you can get a replacement, lower mount fails you may still be able to get one of those too. Much larger stroke length to work with.

Disadvantages: High failure rate in colder climates. Much higher cost. They can be a pain to "Level out" You are at the mercy of a much smaller supply chain.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Everyone has this misconception that coilovers are more track geared and that is simply not true. Tein SS (Super STREET) or TEIN SA (STREET Advance) Coilovers are made for daily street driving. You can control the damping and ride height. You can also mix and match the springs on the coilovers....if you think they are too soft then you can get harder or even softer springs. I just bought some TEIN SA coilovers with the EDFC and having them installed as I speak. Before I had Tokico blues and Eibach springs...they are OK but if you want superior performance and ride quality then coilovers are the way to go. I would suggest ridning in a car with coilovers.......that is what sold me to UPGRADE from shock/springs to coilovers.