All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Newbie question about the 3.0 to 3.5 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie question about the 3.0 to 3.5 swap.

Hey guys, i have a question about the 3.0 to 3.5 swap. I likely to buy an 4th gen maxima in the very near future. As I heard there are many options to this swap. U can do the complete swap or just the head swap. I wonder what the difference between the two, as far as safety and performance. And price differences. I more lean into the complete swap as far as 6 speed, ecu, and motor swap, but if there are no difference i will take the easy way out.
LMK thx.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
UCF Lexus

If you just found this forum, you might want to start off by reading all the threads about this in the "ALL MOTOR" forum.

It's possible to do ANYTHING to a Maximas motor....there's 1 6spd 4th gen that I know of, and from what I heard it was not worth the time, money, and labor to do the conversion. ECUs are an easy swap for 95-97s. I've heard 98s+ w/ aftermarket ECU will throw a code constantly. Not 100% sure on that.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:12 AM
SomePsychoGuy

97-98s might throw a code. Just take out the bulb or cut the wire or something and then for emissions test just put the old ecu back in for a few days.

Look in the all motor forum. Once again this isn't a honda forum. VQ35 swaps are not easy or down to a science and your first post should not be about it. Get a y pipe, maybe some suspension, read on here a lot and then post your questions in the appropriate forums.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thx and much appreciated. I currently own an 200sx se-r. very enthusias about nissan. and my brother is a member of this forum and own a 5th gen max. He told me to get a 4th gen and do a 3.5 swap, i heard alot of good things about it as far as capable of doing 14 flat with some bolts on. Other wise i have no intention of getting a maxima. I just want to read up and do some research before im looking into getting this big of an investment. But so far so good, i like the luxury looks as far as how it performce. I am likely to get one as soon as im able to. but thx for the replies.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A bolt-on VQ35DE in a 4th gen will probably run 13's on street tires with little problems, but like he said it's alot of work, I am currently doing this swap.

I have about 4kUS invested in the car as of now, and that includes a complete exhaust exhaust system from Cattman (Headers, cat, catback), solid motor mounts, Front Strut bar and Rear Sway Bar (unnecessary for swap, but it helps), a cluchnet 6-puck, a VQ35 with 33k on it, all the wiring needed, ignition switch, a CAI and the ECU. Motor is in, only thing missing are oxygen sensors. I already have 600$CAN's (500$US) worth sold (old 3.0 sold, some wiring, auto to manual conversion stuff, ECU), and probably will be able to get an extra hundred or two.

I got screwed a little and paid perhaps half a grand more than I should have, so with the stuff sold, expect a properly done swap with a brand new exhaust system to take about 3 grand out of your wallet, that is if you do it yourself like me.

Honestly I wouldn't do it again, and I am not done yet. The stress of buying used parts you don't even know whether they work or not, whether they will work together, buying all these parts from the US without knowing if they'll arrive, working and going to school while trying to put a day a week on this swap, and trying to sell the old parts while mentally coming up with all possible problems that can and will rear their ugly heads gets overwhelming after a while.

Everything fits so far, and I've encountered no real "problems" per se, but when I get into the electronic part of this swap I am bound to have a few headaches. I need to get off my lazy @ss. I'll be working some tomorrow, and all day Wenesday. Wish me luck.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

GL ... Keep me informed.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys- i did some further research. And nismo312 told me that i can do the complete 3.5 engine and 97 up tranny with stock ecu. And i can also receive a good enough power to run 14 flat fairly. All i had to do is remod the internal of the engine a bit. Such as drill cam gear and such. If anyone know about this swap please inform me with other info. thx.
-Tri
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dork
Hey guys- i did some further research. And nismo312 told me that i can do the complete 3.5 engine and 97 up tranny with stock ecu. And i can also receive a good enough power to run 14 flat fairly. All i had to do is remod the internal of the engine a bit. Such as drill cam gear and such. If anyone know about this swap please inform me with other info. thx.
-Tri
If all you want to do is run 14 flat, you can do that with a 3.0 and bolt-ons, don't waste your money on a 3.5.