All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

3.5 swap MPG's and emissions questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

3.5 swap MPG's and emissions questions

I'm considering the 3.5 swap within the next year or so on my Maxima once I can justify getting a new motor. The three questions I have are:

1) What kind of gas mileage are you 3.5 guys getting with the 4th gen untuned ECU?

2) Next, has anyone tried to get one of these things tested for emissions, will it have any problems passing or not?

3) Lastly, I've read posts about the advantages of getting the 4th gen ECU tuned better for the 3.5 swap, so has anyone done it and what are the benefits as far as HP and TQ #'s?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm considering the 3.5 swap within the next year or so on my Maxima once I can justify getting a new motor. The three questions I have are:
Sorry to semi-hijack your post, but the old VQ needs no justice, as it's a solid performer, and will last verrry long.

I dislike when someone says I have xxx,xxx miles and want to do a swap .. Fact is the VQ30 is a very reliable engine, and will give you much more than people expect. And for this swap, you have to want to do it, not have a lame excuse to do it, prove to yourself or whoever, it's what you want to do, before saying you have too many miles or

In the meantime, drain the oil, lay a brick on the throttle, go inside and drink a beer, when you come out, justice will be served.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Kevlo for President

1) Krismax gets over 30MPG, he has done alot of wieght reduction.

2) Krismax has passed emmisions

3) No one has got off their *** and tuned their car for the VQ35
Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
1)
... I hate that fact ...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Sorry to semi-hijack your post, but the old VQ needs no justice, as it's a solid performer, and will last verrry long.

I dislike when someone says I have xxx,xxx miles and want to do a swap .. Fact is the VQ30 is a very reliable engine, and will give you much more than people expect. And for this swap, you have to want to do it, not have a lame excuse to do it, prove to yourself or whoever, it's what you want to do, before saying you have too many miles or

In the meantime, drain the oil, lay a brick on the throttle, go inside and drink a beer, when you come out, justice will be served.

You're right, it is a solid performer but there are new cars coming out with more powerful engines and lower 1/4 times etc. every day. I'm planning on doing the swap w/in the next year because it will be much much cheaper than going out and buying a G35 or a newer maxima.

I'll be happy with my maxima for a long time if I can get new-car performance out of it without having to frankenstein the motor or throw a turbo on it. The 3.5 swap is a very doable thing to me and it gives me another reason to just keep the maxima instead of laying down $$$$ for a newer, depreciating car.

I only mentioned the thing about wanting to put more miles on my motor because I have to be able to explain to my wife why I'm getting a new motor
Old 10-06-2005, 02:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah teh wife sucks sometimes.. But I had to vent that, because some s say they have more than 100k and want a new engine

You seem to know more and be smarter than that .. Just venting on the wrong person .. sorry..
Old 10-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

I think they would get very similiar MPG and emissions shouldn't be a problem either. MPG is largely determined by the weight, aerodynamics, and gearing of the vehicle rather than the displacement of the engine. Since the VQ35 is *basically* the same engine as the VQ30 you can expect similar MPG. After tuning and a decent intake manifold and decent exhaust, it may even give you better MPG than a 3.0 stock would.

If you just drop the 3.5 in there without tuning or without any mods, you will get 200whp/230wtq. If you add headers, intake, tuning, and the new kinetix intake manifold you can expect 250-270whp and about 250-260wtq.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by SR-71 Blackbird
I think they would get very similiar MPG and emissions shouldn't be a problem either. MPG is largely determined by the weight, aerodynamics, and gearing of the vehicle rather than the displacement of the engine. Since the VQ35 is *basically* the same engine as the VQ30 you can expect similar MPG. After tuning and a decent intake manifold and decent exhaust, it may even give you better MPG than a 3.0 stock would.

If you just drop the 3.5 in there without tuning or without any mods, you will get 200whp/230wtq. If you add headers, intake, tuning, and the new kinetix intake manifold you can expect 250-270whp and about 250-260wtq.
as with that kinetix IM any news on it ?

And with the tuning , when a proper piggyback comes along that does what "I" want and i loose my crippled and disabled status i will go to dyno and tune maybe this fall!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...4&goto=newpost

They're testing it right now and it will dyno in about 2 weeks. It looks like it will flow better than the 350z SSV IM and add around 20whp/wtq. Cost looks to be around $700 with a group deal. If enough people sign up for a group deal, maybe $500-600.

SR20DEN dyno'd 268whp last time. I don't think that his numbers are out of reach with this manifold, tuning, with the same mods he has.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Wild for Width

My VQ with 118K feels just as strong if not better that several Max's I have driven and a '98 I30 with 60K that my family owned last year. The only variable is how detailed the maintenence is on the car.

I have test driven several BEATER Max's at small used car lots that have obviously fallen off the maint. schedule and the silky smooth VQ has pulled hard and strong in all of them. NmexMAX is not far from the truth by saying you pretty much have to assassinate your VQ30.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 PM

Well it has about 148,000 right now and if I keep it for another full year it should be at about 170,000, I would say at that point that it's earned it's keep and I wouldn't feel bad about throwing in a new motor. The only "problem" is that when I do this swap I'd like to get everything out of the way at once, so I'd like to get a 3.5 swap (prepped by Tilley), drop in a low mileage VLSD, and possibly a lightweight flywheel. If I do all of that I'll be looking at $3000+ so it's a pretty good chunk of change, so we'll see what I'm ready for next year.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

It's cheaper to blow $3000 on the swap with a VLSD and some mods than it is to go buy a 02-06 and deal with the depreciation.

Let's assume for argument's sake that your 95 max is worth $3k right now. With the 3.5 swap and VLSD, it's worth around $5k. That $5k won't really depreciate much.

Go get a 02 max now and pay $12-13k and it 3 years it'll be worth $7-$8k. After 3 years your 95 3.5 will be worth, what, $3500. Not having a damn car payment is nice too.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

One little caveat.... As much as I'm all for a 3.5 in a 4th gen, I think it's important to mention that no matter what you put under the hood, your Max will NEVER be a G35. The G35 has a different chassis, different transmission with different gearing, different suspension, different steering, and RWD. You can easily make a Max go as fast as a G35 in a straight line, but don't expect to get remotely the same feeling out of it.

Unless your feeling about a car is based entirely on straight-line speed, in which case my argument is null and void.

Just making sure you understand.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 PM

Yep, I fully understand that. I havn't drivin the G35 but I know it's based on the 350Z platform and I know the rear-wheel drive factor is one that the maxima will never overcome. However, I'm a really big tightwad with my money and if I can make the Maxima really enjoyable to drive and maintain it for much less than it would cost for me to buy a used G35 then that's what I'm planning on doing. I have less than $3,000 in my maxima right now including purchase price and small maintenance items and even if I put another $3000 into it next year to avoid a car payment and higher insurance costs then it will be more than worth it. Good point though.

Now as far as tuning the 3.5 though, I'm not remotely familiar with tuning a car and have never even seen a dyno in person, although I do understand what they do and all. So what would be the best route for me to go as far as tuning the 3.5 with the 3.0 ECU? I know I could pay the $700 or whatever JWT is asking and have them do it, but how user-friendly are the standalone systems? Is it something that can be done by someone who doesn't have much experience with that sort of thing?

Edit: Oh yeah, as far as getting my RWD fun, that's what my Z is for
Old 10-06-2005, 09:17 PM

From what I've read (more so heard) the limit of FWD is 220fwhp. Over that you will have serious problem (corner wise). Tuned you'll be over that, but with the proper suspension and excellent grippy tires, I think a max can hang with G/Z in the corners, but it definately wont feel the same (especially when the Z/G come with LSD).

I'd say go with the VQ35 swap, and good tires, it will be a decent chunk of change but should hopefully renew the love you have for the car, and can hold you over for a few years while you save up for the next vehicle. No car payment is a beautiful thing, especially with prices for just about everything going up.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by MDeezy
From what I've read (more so heard) the limit of FWD is 220fwhp.
I wouldn't give much credence in that. There's just too many variables-suspension, weight of the car, weight distribution, tires, LSD, motor mounts, gearing......

Over that you will have serious problem (corner wise). Tuned you'll be over that, but with the proper suspension and excellent grippy tires, I think a max can hang with G/Z in the corners, but it definately wont feel the same (especially when the Z/G come with LSD).
The G35 doesn't handle all that great. A lot of the G35 guys bitc* about it and upgrade their suspensions. It's better than the max, but it's no Porsche 911 either.

No car payment is a beautiful thing, especially with prices for just about everything going up.
Prices for everything is going up, except the price for one's labor.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

I dont see that IM gaining what you think. Ive tried so many things with the VQ35 and different intake manifolds every one was dynoed too. I just cant see gains like that without major losses of low end......I dont want my maxima too feel like a honda and have no pwer till 5k..
Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by TILLEYS99
I dont see that IM gaining what you think. Ive tried so many things with the VQ35 and different intake manifolds every one was dynoed too. I just cant see gains like that without major losses of low end......I dont want my maxima too feel like a honda and have no pwer till 5k..
you like that vias working dont you, i wish i could get the one i have to work
Old 10-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm getting something like 24 mpg city and 29 highway. The car is relatively heavy (loaded SE) and doesn't have much weight reduction.

Oh, and my old VQ30 had 116k when it was swapped out, and I don't think it would've had a problem going another 116.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
... I hate that fact ...
Well then tell Greddy to get off THEIR asses and get the f*cking UE working for us already. I've given up on it for this year, the car's going in storage next month and hopefully they'll have the UE working by the time I fire it up next spring.

From what I've read (more so heard) the limit of FWD is 220fwhp. Over that you will have serious problem (corner wise). Tuned you'll be over that, but with the proper suspension and excellent grippy tires, I think a max can hang with G/Z in the corners, but it definately wont feel the same (especially when the Z/G come with LSD).
Why is the limit of FWD 220whp? I probably have that or a little more in my car right now and once I'm out of 1st gear I usually don't have traction problems. Just depends on how you set your suspension. Heck, I have 215/60/15 all-seasons on the car (stock tires) and they even hold when hot at the track. Most people with high-powered FWD cars don't even get a tire with a fat sidewall.

And certain maximas did come with LSD. It was an option in Canada.

What makes people say FWD has a low HP limit is torque steer, and I can live with that, makes the car feels overpowered but I love that.

Oh, and true the max won't handle like a G35, but at the same time, the 5-speed's gearing mated with the VQ35, a sub 2900 lbs curb weight, the cable driven TB and lighter flywheel, turns the car into a very preppy throttle response freak, something that can't be said for the G.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 PM

wow, how is it that these 3.5L 4th gens are getting mpg #s that match or are even better than the 3.0L 4th gens. honestly, i have a 3.0 and i'm lucky to get the mpg that JClaw does, and i may get it if i drive conservatively, but usually it's a little lower.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

When I do my 3.5 swap, weight will be reduced in the car, it will get new O2 sensors, new plugs, new coils, new fuel filter, y pipe, intake, maybe a catback, new everything. The engine I'm putting in only has 800 miles on it.

I think the 04/05 ECU with a 04/05 engine and 6speed would give us gas mileage in the low 30's. The 04/05 is a 3500lb boat and with the 6spd gets 29mpg. Too bad it's a real pita to use the 04/05 ECU and a 6spd.

aznsap, how much are you selling the 01 AE 5spd for?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Playboycutie69

R u sure bout this? Send the proof cuz I would be even more interested in this mod if these #s r true.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Originally Posted by Playboycutie69

R u sure bout this? Send the proof cuz I would be even more interested in this mod if these #s r true.
that 200whp/230tq is BS i dynoed various different setups and i NEVER had more tq then hp. maybe more like 210whp/200tq. I have already dynoed 238whp NA with 22*tq, but now its gonna see boost soon..
Old 10-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

that 200whp/230tq is BS i dynoed various different setups and i NEVER had more tq then hp. maybe more like 210whp/200tq. I have already dynoed 238whp NA with 22*tq, but now its gonna see boost soon..
The 230wtq is probably a little high. Maybe 215-220wtq.
Here's some 5.5gens. All of them have more tq than hp.

204whp/220wtq
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=137438

208/226
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=129305

209/239
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=180178

212/224
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422996

218/236
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=211869

223/237
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422992

220/231
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=277092

A stock 5.5gen dynos at 205whp/220wtq. A stock 350Z dynos at 230whp/220wtq. The new Kinetix intake manifold has shorter runners than the 350z has and should make a little more power than the 350z IM. I would be willing to sacrifice a little low end TQ to make high end power. The 3.5 has more than enough low end TQ anyways.

sr20den got 263/247.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....58751&t=364557

Why can't someone get a similar whp number with a new IM, mods, and tuning?
Old 10-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by Playboycutie69

There's quite a lot of the altima 3.5 guys in the 230's for whp and some in the 240's. There's a couple in the 250's. And that's with using the crappy stock IM.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180238
Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Those arent swaps in a 4th gen with the swap you lose VTC and tq made by the vtc.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Those arent swaps in a 4th gen with the swap you lose VTC and tq made by the vtc.
True, but how much TQ are you going to lose at 4000rpm without VTC? I was under the impression that VTC only added real tq below 3000rpm.

Did you get the cam spacers in? Did you ship my cams back to me yet? I'm really eager to get this swap done. A stock 4th gen with 190chp is killing me.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Kevlo for President

Rob, how is the 32 comming along?
How are my brakes comming long? Also can you find me a G35 Sedan Muffler?

Also the reason the 35in the 4th gen is getting good MPG is because the 4th gen is lighter.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Rob, how is the 32 comming along?
How are my brakes comming long? Also can you find me a G35 Sedan Muffler?

Also the reason the 35in the 4th gen is getting good MPG is because the 4th gen is lighter.

I know the 3.5L in the 4th gen gets good gasmileage because the 4th gen is lighter than the 5th gen, but that doesn't explain why a 3.5L gets better gas mileage than a 3.0L in the 4th gen.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Kevlo for President

It doesnt get better MPG than the 30. Only reason Krismax's does is because he has extreme weight reduction. Just about everyone else is in the mid to low 20's.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Like I said, my car weights within 100 lbs of what it weighted stock, and I can't seem to get less than 500 kms (300 miles) on a tank no mater how I drive. Gotten 700 kms (430 miles) on a highway tank.

I changed all 3 oxygen sensors, and the knock sensor while I did the swap, that must've helped.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
Why is the limit of FWD 220whp? I probably have that or a little more in my car right now and once I'm out of 1st gear I usually don't have traction problems. Just depends on how you set your suspension. Heck, I have 215/60/15 all-seasons on the car (stock tires) and they even hold when hot at the track. Most people with high-powered FWD cars don't even get a tire with a fat sidewall.

And certain maximas did come with LSD. It was an option in Canada.

What makes people say FWD has a low HP limit is torque steer, and I can live with that, makes the car feels overpowered but I love that.

Oh, and true the max won't handle like a G35, but at the same time, the 5-speed's gearing mated with the VQ35, a sub 2900 lbs curb weight, the cable driven TB and lighter flywheel, turns the car into a very preppy throttle response freak, something that can't be said for the G.
I believe that number is more geared toward FF cars when in the corners. I'm searching for a more concrete answer/explanation, but I know it centers around the fact that the same wheels that grip/steer, are putting power down. Its a constant battle for control, so at some point when a certain amount of power is comming to those wheels, being able to steer (without much understeer) becomes an issue (when turning not straight line). the 220hp is a number I've heard around but I'd like to believe its a hire number.

I probably should have stated that the comment is more towards cornering.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

I believe that number is more geared toward FF cars when in the corners. I'm searching for a more concrete answer/explanation, but I know it centers around the fact that the same wheels that grip/steer, are putting power down. Its a constant battle for control, so at some point when a certain amount of power is comming to those wheels, being able to steer (without much understeer) becomes an issue (when turning not straight line). the 220hp is a number I've heard around but I'd like to believe its a hire number.

I probably should have stated that the comment is more towards cornering.
I understand what you're saying. There's a certain lateral g-force that the tire can withstand in cornering before losing traction. That gforce can come through tangential acceleration (steering) and the acceleration the engine gives it. In a FWD car, the front tires have their work cut out for them. They have to steer, brake, and accelerate.

You also remember that even if you have a 400hp turbo'd engine, that doesn't mean you would have to give it 100% throttle through a corner. I probably wouldn't put the figure in horsepower but in TQ at the wheels. If you take a hard turn even in a stock 4th gen in 1st gear you could get understeer.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 AM

Very true 100% throttle in a corner in most car today will give understeer. This would make for a good test to find out, but there are many variable that would help understand the limits, such as turning angle, amount of throttle, hp,tq. I think tq#s is more relevant in this issue than hp. So say if one was auto-x'ing in their boosted max, there would be a certain amount of power that should be exceeded, or understeer would occur when trying to exit a corner properly.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

[QUOTE=MDeezy]From what I've read (more so heard) the limit of FWD is 220fwhp. Over that you will have serious problem (corner wise). Tuned you'll be over that, but with the proper suspension and excellent grippy tires, I think a max can hang with G/Z in the corners, but it definately wont feel the same (especially when the Z/G come with LSD).

Sorry dude but you are misinformed! I've had 303HP and 320TQ for over a year with K-sport coilovers and camber plates, riding on **** winstar tires and a G35 or 350z don't have a chance. The car has a bit of a push going in the turn but the exit speed is perfect and the car pulls right through the turn. The 350 tends to over steer, and in the mountains of Tennessee that puts you in a pine box. The Max is useless in SCCA auto cross but on a real track 220whp is useless.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 PM

so your experiencing no understeer in corner exits?

I would love to read/see some real world test on the absolute limits of FWD in cornering, on various suspension setups with various engine types.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by choray911
The 350 tends to over steer
That's because it's RWD. Oversteer is more controllable than understeer. I had some crappy tires on my 96 altima and the limit for FWD in that car with those tires was 125whp. Its understeer was terrible and almost killed me on a couple of occasions.

What does suspension, cornering, and RWD vs. FWD have to do with "3.5 swap MPG's and emissions questions?"
Old 10-28-2005, 07:57 PM

Here is a good emissions Q ... 95-99 Fed Maxs have 4 precats (2 in stock Y-pipe and 2 in the heads or headers). If we already have a Y-pipe and then get headers then we will have 0 precats. How would this effect us unlucky 95 owners who have their mufflers violated every year? I barely passed emissions this year with just y-pipe, but I don't think my mechanic knew that I had a y-pipe so I think he did it with the cat cold
Old 10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by scrhale
Here is a good emissions Q ... 95-99 Fed Maxs have 4 precats (2 in stock Y-pipe and 2 in the heads or headers). If we already have a Y-pipe and then get headers then we will have 0 precats. How would this effect us unlucky 95 owners who have their mufflers violated every year? I barely passed emissions this year with just y-pipe, but I don't think my mechanic knew that I had a y-pipe so I think he did it with the cat cold
You couldn't be more wrong.

4th gen FED max's don't have any precats in the exhaust manifolds. There is 2 precats in the y-pipe, and then there's the main cat.

If your car barely passed emissions, it's likely your EGR pipe is blocked up or restricted. Possibly, you need to do the usual stuff like techron fuel injector cleaner, spark plugs, fuel filter, ect.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:11 PM

Haha ... nevermind. Simple searches proved you right. I could have sworn we had 4, but I guess not. Oh well ... and just because I can say it ... **** FLA for ruining our chance at Nationals.