All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Having starting issues, '97 with VQ35.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Having starting issues, '97 with VQ35.

I made a thread earlier pertaining to my cold start issue. Here's what's happening after the car has been sitting a while intermittently, or say 9 times out of 10 if the car has not been running for more than 12 hours, I'll start the car the rpms will shoot up to 1000-1100 then bog down to 200 as if the car is about to stall then rise back up to 1000-1100.

It did it tonight after the car had been sitting for over a few hours. I've cleaned the TB, and the IACV thru the hose. I've checked resistance on ECTS (it's good), I also disconnected the MAF and started it, it started up the same but ofcourse threw a code. I also got another code, the code for the front right heated O2 sensor. But that sensor is a brand new aftermarket BOSCH sensor. That sensor is only 2 months old, and the code ONLY came up AFTER the SES light came on for the MAF sensor. I resetted the ECU, started up the car after that no SES light then but then again I haven't driven the car.

I also smell a little bit of fuel when the car seems like its about to stall. But I don't smell anything when it's running, nor after I start it when it's warm. I hear the fuel pump turning on. I doubt it's the injectors because then the problem would be constant. I also doubt it's the FPR because that would be constant as well. There's no vacuum leak that I can hear, and if there was a vacuum leak it would be constant and make my idle fluctuate. My idle after the car has started and warmed up is silky smooth.

My only other guess is the IACV sticking while its opening and closing. Can IACVs only cause cold start issues, and function fine when the car is warm?

I really need to get this fixed ASAP because it's my daily driver and I don't want any problems in the real cold months. Please help.